News   Apr 19, 2024
 73     0 
News   Apr 18, 2024
 741     0 
News   Apr 18, 2024
 7.1K     2 

TTC: Other Items (catch all)

Siemens just released their new G1 subway trains into revenue service in Nuremberg, Germany. Siemens has already a big footprint in the rail market in North America. So it can be assumed that for the RFQ process for new TTC subway trains they will bid with their new G1 type trains. I like the colour scheme of the Nuremberg subway as it fits well the TTC scheme. Also, it’s a beautiful design of a metro train. See for yourself and all your opinions are most welcome!

The metros that Bbr Seimens and Alstom build are all custom products and not off the shelf like buses so in the end it doesnt really matter who the supplier is. The only real differentiators between them are the chassis that the body sits on and the internals. If you want a good looking train, start by hiring a good design team for the body. Obviously whoever specified the shape and finish of the TRs lack any artistic style.

Siemens just released their new G1 subway trains into revenue service in Nuremberg, Germany. Siemens has already a big footprint in the rail market in North America. So it can be assumed that for the RFQ process for new TTC subway trains they will bid with their new G1 type trains. I like the colour scheme of the Nuremberg subway as it fits well the TTC scheme. Also, it’s a beautiful design of a metro train. See for yourself and all your opinions are most welcome!

View attachment 266406

Has the RFQ process launched yet?

Has the RFQ process launched yet?
Not even close at this time. Maybe after 2025

Aug 30
How TTC has seats tag for COVID-19 various from type of equipment and even between the same type to the point no signs. Still the big yellow strip on the streetcars.
50291738458_6b9e27c245_b.jpg

50292611381_11556059f9_b.jpg

50292624071_2f73446c9b_b.jpg

Obviously whoever specified the shape and finish of the TRs lack any artistic style.

I only ride them as a visitor to TO rather than every day and so maybe my opinion doesn't count for much, but I really like the TRs and don't understand why there's so much hate on them in this forum. I'd be happy to see them on Line 2 as well.

Last edited:
I only ride them as a visitor to TO rather than every day and so my maybe my opinion doesn't count for much, but I really like the TRs and don't understand why there's so much hate on them in this forum. I'd be happy to see them on Line 2 as well.
They are an obvious improvment over the T1's no doubt but there are aspects of the trains that were outdated before we even purchased them. The one that comes to mind for me is the not having LCD displays and instead opting for basic LED dot-matrix displays. Obviosly LCD's can display far more info than the current LED displays which are only really good for telling you the station name and what side to exit. As well the light up maps we use are pretty much expansion proof since they were only designed with the TYSSE in mind, they don't have any provisions for further expansions of the system. This can be remedied by either going to LCD maps like what you see in Japan or doing a mix of static maps with LCD displays for further information like seen on the Azur trains in Montreal.

I thought I'd share a render I put together in Photoshop of what I thought new subway cars for Toronto could look like.

Their latest branding has been all about the red, so I added that in a similar fashion to the LFLRVs. Still maintained the bare stainless.

The upper portion of the front was a little nod to the old Hawker cars. Really liked that detailing they had.

Concept subway train for Toronto
by Adrian Badaraco, on Flickr

I thought I'd share a render I put together in Photoshop of what I thought new subway cars for Toronto could look like.

Their latest branding has been all about the red, so I added that in a similar fashion to the LFLRVs. Still maintained the bare stainless.

The upper portion of the front was a little nod to the old Hawker cars. Really liked that detailing they had.

Looks good! Hopefully they will come out with something like this or more in updated styling in line with European and Asian countries

Sort of reminds me of the Tobu 70000 Series trains in Tokyo, which you can see in the pic below.
1280px-Tobu_71703_Nishiarai_20170930.jpg

Personally I like the more streamlined European and Asian style trains however I will say I love your use of the offset front door. Its something you see all over East Asia and I've always liked it and I am sure operators do as well due to the much expanded cab space it offers. For example you can see here the operators cab of a Toei 10-300 Series train from Tokyo. I think Operators would like the additional space.
raw_9175.jpg

Well let's see if whoever gets hired for the T1 replacement design team has the creative mindset to come up with something that looks just as good

The streetcar tracks on Victoria from Dundas to Queen have been scheduled for replacement for several years and most recently in 2020. Now apparently postponed to 2023! I think that Toronto Hydro are, as almost always, to blame for this latest postponement as they have work to do in the area. I think the tracks are now impassable. The Downtown Yonge BIA had been agitating to get the work all finished and last year Council (IE 2.8 on March 27th) passed a motion to 'get it done by August 31, 2020). THAT clearly had no effect!

The one that comes to mind for me is the not having LCD displays and instead opting for basic LED dot-matrix displays. Obviosly LCD's can display far more info than the current LED displays which are only really good for telling you the station name and what side to exit. As well the light up maps we use are pretty much expansion proof since they were only designed with the TYSSE in mind, they don't have any provisions for further expansions of the system. This can be remedied by either going to LCD maps like what you see in Japan or doing a mix of static maps with LCD displays for further information like seen on the Azur trains in Montreal.

I love the way the Azur's use their screens to provide connecting route info. I hardly see the TR's LED maps as the fault of the Bombardier design however, I'm sure that they're quite capable of installing LCD screens instead if the buyer specs (and is willing to pay) for them. Pretty sure those LED boards we all dislike are the result of decisions taken by the TTC long, long ago...

Back