News   Apr 24, 2024
 337     0 
News   Apr 24, 2024
 538     0 
News   Apr 24, 2024
 486     0 

TTC: Other Items (catch all)

Not sure where to post this, but I've noticed that one of my huge pet peeves has been fixed: The colour of the lights on the Line 1 subway maps! I always maintained that they had it backwards, (green where you'd been, red where you're going) and grumbled about it, tweeted, wrote emails, and I see they've FINALLY fixed it! It now shows red where you've been, (STOP! We don't go this way) and green where you're GOing. It's a little thing but my OCD (not to mention common sense way finding) can finally relax. lol
I believe it's still a work in progress but they plan to have all of them functioning that way by the end of the year when the mapp gets extended.

Nation signage.jpg
I remain of the view that TTC could greatly improve its "Next Train in X Minutes" signage from that little tiny unreadable-at-a-distance number in the corner of the City signs.....

- Paul

Attachments

• Nation signage.jpg
    Nation signage.jpg
    607.5 KB · Views: 302
View attachment 97501 I remain of the view that TTC could greatly improve its "Next Train in X Minutes" signage from that little tiny unreadable-at-a-distance number in the corner of the City signs.....

- Paul

Lowest bidder gets the smallest display for the "Next Train...", else it would ruin the paid advertisements.

Lowest bidder gets the smallest display for the "Next Train...", else it would ruin the paid advertisements.
Alos most of the time they are only 5 minutes apart the display isn't really necessary at all, and if there is part of a line closed it's useless as it just say NA for the time with a message of the closure.

Alos most of the time they are only 5 minutes apart the display isn't really necessary at all, and if there is part of a line closed it's useless as it just say NA for the time with a message of the closure.
The next arrival times serve as a good indicator if a train is being held. They have some purpose. The biggest complain is the clock is only shown like 20% of the time. It would be better if they permanently have the clock on the screen like everywhere else in the world.

Not sure where to post this, but I've noticed that one of my huge pet peeves has been fixed: The colour of the lights on the Line 1 subway maps! I always maintained that they had it backwards, (green where you'd been, red where you're going) and grumbled about it, tweeted, wrote emails, and I see they've FINALLY fixed it! It now shows red where you've been, (STOP! We don't go this way) and green where you're GOing. It's a little thing but my OCD (not to mention common sense way finding) can finally relax. lol

If they really fixed it, the lights would turn off for stations already passed, with a nice bright flash for the upcoming station. No need for the red/green lights. Just a nice, bright yellow.

How would the on-train subway maps look like when the Eglinton Crosstown opens in 2021? I would guess it would be the current map + TYSSE will an orange Line 5 with all the stations just as dots, except for the interchange stations (Cedervale, Yonge-Eglinton, Kennedy), where it would be similar to the interchange stations now with 2 diagonal lights. Having red (or whatever they decide) lights for the Eglinton stops would be useless as TRs don't run on the line (and can't). I would guess the opposite would happen with the Flexity Freedoms Trains, with Line 1, Line 2, etc having stripped down lines with only the general direction, colour, and destination since there is limited space.

Having red (or whatever they decide) lights for the Eglinton stops would be useless as TRs don't run on the line (and can't).

That's also true of Line 3 today, but it has lights--then again, it only has a few stops.

However, I doubt they'll add in lights as it would be a pain. Keep in mind even the TYSSE lights were built into the TRs from day one, just covered up by the current map and left turned off. They'd need to replace that module if they want to add lights for Line 5.

Someone is documenting all of the broken things on the TTC http://www.blogto.com/city/2017/02/everything-broken-ttc-toronto/

Just more proof that the TTC needs proper funding by all three levels of government. The economy of the GTA represents almost 50% of the economy of Ontario (source: http://www.oecd.org/gov/regional-policy/oecdterritorialreviewstorontocanada.htm) so if someone living elsewhere in Ontario says "who cares about Toronto" then that person knows nothing about economics. Proper sustained funding would allow serious ongoing maintenance and transit expansion plans that don't get cancelled as soon as the next batch of politicians get voted in. The TTC needs to function smoothly because if Toronto isn't doing well, Ontario isn't doing well.

Osgoode is currently in a nightly ritual to replace the platform lights

Attachments

• IMG_20170202_073629.jpg
    IMG_20170202_073629.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 127
Oh good, those new lights are so much brighter. I can't think of any station that's been converted in 2-3 years though.

After looking at one of todays pictures of an underground garage being built at 1 Yorkville, I’ve always wondered is how do they excavate for a large building in an already built up area without disturbing the numerous services for the adjacent buildings like gas, water, sewers, electricity etc?

Edit:
Sorry, new guy here. I guess I should have found a better spot for this question but this was the closest fit I could find.

Last edited:

Back