News   May 03, 2024
 706     1 
News   May 03, 2024
 455     0 
News   May 03, 2024
 234     0 

TTC: Other Items (catch all)

With the TTC being underfunded as it is currently, there is no money to experiment with different designs. So we're stuck with what we have.

Except if there is a legislated or judicial requirement for that, then they have to (IE. stop announcements). In other words, someone has to sue the TTC or the city to get them do something.
Based on the fact how long the tracks have been around in Toronto, let along the world, going to be very hard to see legislated or judicial requirement for the rail.

It boils down to common sense and be aware of them, not blowing through an intersection at full speed.

Reactions: DSC
Still waiting for my TTC calendar.

electric_street_railway_tram_calendar_print.jpg

if they only had this installed in the subway platforms instead of those advert/news screens the user experience would be so much better
I think those would be harder to read in subway stations plus the ones they have now they don't pay for them the TC's advertising management company paid for them. Plus it's not exactly necessary in the subway as arrival times are pretty frequent anyway.

I think those would be harder to read in subway stations plus the ones they have now they don't pay for them the TC's advertising management company paid for them. Plus it's not exactly necessary in the subway as arrival times are pretty frequent anyway.

Well not exactly those. What I meant were large dedicated LED panels that only show eta and not just a medium sized tv screen with a BTW eta display at the bottom corner.
You do make a point of the relavency considering that theres no interlining, but maybe it would be more useful to show the short turn runs?

I guess the really sad part is the bargaining power of TTC over their adverts and naming. As it can be seen from VMC, the large "sponsors" really have them by the balls when it comes to branding and decision making. Either that or
they really need to fire and hire whoevers responsible for these deals.

Speaking of which... has there been any new progress with the side displays?

Well not exactly those. What I meant were large dedicated LED panels that only show eta and not just a medium sized tv screen with a BTW eta display at the bottom corner.
You do make a point of the relavency considering that theres no interlining, but maybe it would be more useful to show the short turn runs?

I don't relly know how often they short turn the subway plus I don't know how much poel would actually pay attention to a sign saying where a subway train is going. That may change once the new digital signs and the line announcements start rolling out on the subways, I think they have a couple of test trains of both rolling stock right now with it installed and are going to be putting it out on the whole fleet sometime this year.

I don't relly know how often they short turn the subway plus I don't know how much poel would actually pay attention to a sign saying where a subway train is going. That may change once the new digital signs and the line announcements start rolling out on the subways, I think they have a couple of test trains of both rolling stock right now with it installed and are going to be putting it out on the whole fleet sometime this year.

its really a shame that they got it so wrong whether by their doing on or not on those eta signs...once again toronto holds the distinction for being unique amongst all other major city transits in the wrong side...I cant recall any other
metro that would have such a poor implementation of such displays.... if theyre just going to shove the main message in the bottom corner, they might as well not have those advert screens at all. Even the montreal metro has theirs in a much more larger legible screen...noone can even see that from more than 20ft away. This is something that TTC really shouldve have manned up and put some thought into... I would rather have them get this one right even if it means they buy 20 less buses for 1 or 2 years....
Everytime theres new features and ideas floated it seems like TTC just has to reinvent the wheel to make it a bespoke TTC solution just to say that they did it even at the expense of costs and functionality...

anyways thanks for reading my late night rant..... good night

The photo above is of the 'experimental' solar-powered NextBus sign at King and Yonge. The TTC used to have a 'traditional' NextBus sign there but Toronto Hydro screwed up the power supply and put it on same circuit as the street lighting - this meant it only worked after dark! (Hydro refused to repair it.) The TTC thus used this as a test site for solar and it seems to have worked: though I think they continue to install the traditional kind too. They have a tender out to buy more of the solar ones. (Tender call is: SOLAR LED SIGNS - Closing Date Jan 26, 2017 )

Last edited:
See the following link:
http://www.citynews.ca/video/2017/01/24/video-queen-west-streetcar-riders-loving-replacement-buses/

Queen Street West has been plagued by construction, including TTC streetcar track repairs, for months, but some area residents are singing the praises of their alternate transit. CityNews reporter Ginella Massa has the details.

According to City News, passengers love the extra buses and the quicker service on Lake Shore Blvd. W., when they are doing construction on the streetcar tracks (near or around the Humber River). That’s because the city is dragging their feet with putting in a streetcar right-of-way along Lake Shore Blvd. West. The streetcars have to share their tracks with the single-occupant motor vehicles making their priority left turns at Park Lawn, and other intersections. When will the city put in the needed right-of-way? What decade or century will that ever happen? Or would it upset the city’s motor vehicle gods?

Lake Shore Park Lawn.jpg

Attachments

• Lake Shore Park Lawn.jpg
    Lake Shore Park Lawn.jpg
    256.3 KB · Views: 186
Not sure where to post this, but I've noticed that one of my huge pet peeves has been fixed: The colour of the lights on the Line 1 subway maps! I always maintained that they had it backwards, (green where you'd been, red where you're going) and grumbled about it, tweeted, wrote emails, and I see they've FINALLY fixed it! It now shows red where you've been, (STOP! We don't go this way) and green where you're GOing. It's a little thing but my OCD (not to mention common sense way finding) can finally relax. lol

Back