News   Mar 27, 2024
 1.2K     1 
News   Mar 27, 2024
 1.1K     2 
News   Mar 27, 2024
 638     0 

TTC: Other Items (catch all)

I had a strange experience on the 505 streetcar yesterday on a trip to the east side (I don't head east very often). We held at rush hour stopped at Parliament and Dundas for 6 or 7 minutes while the driver was "waiting for his relief operator." That seems like an incredibly poor place to change operators, especially if one isn't waiting. Already bunched service was starting to pile up behind us. Is this SOP?

The Press conference was at Greenwood Yard - West of Coxwell in Toronto-Danforth. The DRL is all west of Coxwell. So what do you not think is correct? How is the MPP not a Liberal from a nearby riding?
Oops. For some reason I had Danforth GO in my head. Post deleted. Apologies nfitz/shontron

I would think "King St transit priority corridor pilot" refers to the recently discussed pilot project, scheduled for 2016, of making King St a transit-only (with small exceptions) 504 ROW? Not just transit priority lights and parking regulations?

Edit: this star article says that as of Jan 20 2016, it was scheduled to have staff recommendations fall 2016 and have some portions of it come online in early 2017, so you might actually be correct...might just be a light version of the plan to start. Would be nice if important stuff like this were publicized in full format somewhere besides twitter where the character limit leaves phrases like "king st transit priority corridor pilot" open to interpretation...

My guess is this refers to the big transit meeting they are having in late June, where city council will decide which plans to take forward for more study, which will be due toward the end of the year. At the Waterfront Reset meeting last week, I talked to someone from planning who indicated they wouldn't start work until summer/fall of 2017

I was wondering today why isn't line one split into two independent lines. In terms of travel the separate sections are really separate in that it's very unlikely someone would ride down and then back up the other side wouldn't it make sense to separate Line one into two lines?

I live at College Station and last night I got on the subway and went south, around the Union loop and got off at Osgoode to go to the Scotiabank Theatre. If I'm going to Yorkdale I also go south around the loop rather than north to bloor, transfer to Line 2 west to St. George, transfer to Line 1 north to Yorkdale. It's just easier.

I had a strange experience on the 505 streetcar yesterday on a trip to the east side (I don't head east very often). We held at rush hour stopped at Parliament and Dundas for 6 or 7 minutes while the driver was "waiting for his relief operator." That seems like an incredibly poor place to change operators, especially if one isn't waiting. Already bunched service was starting to pile up behind us. Is this SOP?
Tell it to a transit system that gives a shit.

Another dumb one I've noticed is the King streetcars waiting for a relief operator eastbound on Queen at Broadview, holding up Queen cars, instead of turning north onto Broadview and waiting there, out of the way.

Of course, since it is not that far from the end of the line at Broadview Station it would seem to make more sense to do changeovers there.

Just walked along King Street and saw signs at both the (westbound) TTC stops at Victoria and York stating they were being removed effective June 19th. I assume the shelter will eventually be removed from King/Victoria sometime too.

ISLINGTON STATION BUS-BAY CONSTRUCTION:
JUNE 4 TO 6

From 2 a.m. tomorrow, Saturday, June 4 until 5 a.m. Monday, June 6, TTC crews are repairing deteriorated areas of the bus terminal at Islington Station. The project involves chipping old concrete, mixing new concrete and other tasks that nearby residents may hear.

By repairing the concrete, the TTC is making sure that buses can continue to operate through the bus bays safely. It must complete this project on the weekend as the work areas are across the entire bus terminal. The new concrete also requires sufficient time to cure before the TTC can reopen the terminal to bus traffic.

You can still access Islington Station to board and exit from the the 2 Bloor - Danforth subway line. However, all TTC and MiWay buses will drop off or pick up passengers on the street outside the station. Signs and TTC customer-service staff will help you find your way during construction.

The TTC will continue the project and close the bus terminal again next weekend, from 2 a.m. Saturday, June 11until 5 a.m. Monday, June 14.

It seems like very often (all the time) Line 1 there are passenger alarms activated during the morning rush, causing back up of trains, slowing them to a crawl causing very crowded trains, resulting in more alarms. This makes using the Yonge subway to commute a horrible experience before 9:30. Interestingly, it rarely seems to happen in the afternoon rush (maybe the crowds are more spread out)

Found this article:
http://torontolife.com/city/transportation/ttc-delay-transit-disaster-how-to/

It seems like on a subway line as busy as Yonge there will always and often be people hitting the alarms. Is there an alternative way to deal with this than having the train stop, blocking the entire line?

Things like ATC would not help in these cases I'd assume, and of course the DRL is many many years away.

It seems like very often (all the time) Line 1 there are passenger alarms activated during the morning rush, causing back up of trains, slowing them to a crawl causing very crowded trains, resulting in more alarms. This makes using the Yonge subway to commute a horrible experience before 9:30. Interestingly, it rarely seems to happen in the afternoon rush (maybe the crowds are more spread out)

It tend to happen on Line 2 during the evening rush. As to prevention - they station EMS at Y+B I think, but that's an expensive proposition, especially if you do multiple stations.

Just came back from Barcelona and they actually encourage riders not to use the on-train emergency button if it is just illness - but to get off at the nearest station and use the station emergency system instead.

AoD

Last edited:
If someone gets ill driving a motor vehicle, do they stop in the middle of traffic to open the door to vomit? Or do they move to the side (breakdown lane) to do so?

Same should be done on the subway, streetcar, or bus. Get off and then handle it. There's even containers (garbage) to use.

If someone gets ill driving a motor vehicle, do they stop in the middle of traffic to open the door to vomit? Or do they move to the side (breakdown lane) to do so?

Same should be done on the subway, streetcar, or bus. Get off and then handle it. There's even containers (garbage) to use.
Except that would cost another fare and if it's the night bus, you could be waiting up to 30 minutes for the next one. This makes most people want to hang on as long as possible.

It really depends on the nature of illness.
Given how busy the system is, you often get a cascade of alarms (say, claustrophobia) when the system is busy and any problem appears.
Even people just getting too hot is bad, which is more likely the busier the train is.

Back