News   Apr 26, 2024
 1.2K     1 

TTC: Other Items (catch all)

Screen shot 2016-05-31 at 1.19.52 PM.png

Attachments

• Screen shot 2016-05-31 at 1.19.52 PM.png
    Screen shot 2016-05-31 at 1.19.52 PM.png
    23.9 KB · Views: 717
"Major" Provincial TTC-related announcement this afternoon: "Steven Del Duca, Minister of Transportation, will make an announcement about transit. The Minister will be joined by Arthur Potts, MPP for Beaches-East York, Toronto Mayor John Tory, and TTC Chair Josh Colle."

Perhaps it's a Kingston Road reboot? When the Waterfront restart happened it got a side mention but isn't really included in those plans. Though, if it is Kingston Road, why isn't Councillor Ashton going to be at the event?

If it only impacts Danforth GO station then why would TTC be there? Danforth GO is in the TTC+GO pass program but unless they're making the GO portion free, there really isn't anything to announce.

Maybe a pedestrian connection between Main Station and Danforth GO station (tunnel?) It's only a 250m walk but not very pleasant.

Last edited:
Perhaps it's a Kingston Road reboot? When the Waterfront restart happened it got a side mention but isn't really included in those plans. Though, if it is Kingston Road, why isn't Councillor Ashton going to be at the event?

If it only impacts Danforth GO station then why would TTC be there? Danforth GO is in the TTC+GO pass program but unless they're making the GO portion free, there really isn't anything to announce.

Maybe a pedestrian connection between Main Station and Danforth GO station (tunnel?) It's only a 250m walk but not very pleasant.

Brian Ashton hasn't been a councillor for years. Thinking of Paul Ainslie?

Only the local MPP is attending. I doubt it's something worthwhile, like most Del Duca press conferences.

The local MPP is the NDP's Peter Tabuns. The press release mentioned a Liberal MPP from a nearby riding.

Yeah, well that's the petty Liberal government for you (though the Conservatives did this federally a lot).

The announcement is about $150M in funding for detailed Relief Line subway design and pre-construction work.

Brian Ashton hasn't been a councillor for years. Thinking of Paul Ainslie?

Hah. Brain back-fired I guess.

Whomever is in that ward that overlaps the MPPs riding (Coxwell to Vic Park or something similar). I guess it's McMahon's ward that has that chunk of Kingston road?

The press release mentioned a Liberal MPP from a nearby riding.

It's a no-name MPP. I was assuming the actual work is relevant to his riding and the event is being held in a convenient nearby location.

The announcement is about $150M in funding for detailed Relief Line subway design and pre-construction work.

Not the worst news.

Last edited:
TTC subway service resumes between St. George and Pape

Shuttle buses were running after a small fire at Bloor-Yonge Station.

See link.

However, this also happens at other rapid transit lines. See this story (link here) about

Morning Rush Hour Chaos in Shanghai as Power Failure Halts Subway Service

Shanghai’s busy morning rush hour was thrown into chaos yesterday when a power failure suspended service Metro Line 1 for over two hours.

In the midst of a heat wave that has hit the city with temperatures of 35 degrees Celsius, tens of thousands of commuters were left scrambling for alternative methods to commute to work, causing traffic jams throughout city streets.

The problem first appeared as a “power glitch” that reduced service between Shanghai South Railway Station and Shanghai Indoor Stadium Station on Line 1 at around 6am. However, service would come to a halt as a power outage trapped a train in a tunnel between Caobao Road Station and Shanghai Indoor Stadium Station in the city’s downtown core sometime around 7am.

After being trapped for 50 minutes, the 315 passengers eventually evacuated from the stalled train at around 8am.

The outrage shut down Line 1 subway service between Jinjiang Park Station and Xujiahui Station, a length of subway that provides service to four other lines. Full subway service was eventually restored at around 9am.

More than 100 shuttle buses were provided by Shanghai’s transport commission to ferry commuters stuck at Line 1 terminus station Xinzhuang to Xujiahui Station, where service to Line 1 was still available. However, shuttle buses weren’t able to cope with the masses of stranded commuters.

After Line 1 shut down, the impact upon surface routes was immediate. With the demand for car-sharing services said to have jumped threefold, traffic jams sprung up throughout Shanghai’s southern Minhang District after 7am, lasting for four hours.

Commuters had lots to be upset about including the delay, heat, crowds, and the inconvenience, but one other thing that irked subway passengers was how ill-equipped the Shanghai Metro was to deal with emergencies.

Commuters noted that the Shanghai Metro train forecasting system continued to operate without taking into account the shutdown of Line 1. As well, commuters complained the subway’s own text message notification system failed to inform subway passengers of the suspended service as they neared subway entrances.

If that wasn’t enough, this morning saw another delay in service on the Shanghai Metro. Line 9 is reported to have incurred a malfunction with a door, delaying service for a second day in a row.

Shanghai Shentong, which operates the metro, has offered its passengers a “letter of apology” with which they can explain their tardiness to their employers, with some subway passengers saying their morning commute took an extra two hours due to the power outage.

Shanghai Metro’s Line 1 is the city’s first and oldest subway line. It travels through many of the city’s most important transportation hubs including Shanghai Railway Station, People’s Square, and Xujiahui. Statistics released this year say the subway line is responsible for transporting 1.45 million passengers every day.

Jen Keesmaat tweeted today: "June 16th we are formally launching the King St transit priority corridor pilot."

"Launching", in my vocabulary, would mean they're implementing it, i.e. effective June 16th King gets the transit ROW with limited auto access...unless they mean launching a more-in-depth study.

Could they really be starting it up as early as 2 weeks from today? I'd assume there would need to be a lot of advance warning to drivers, signs put up, etc., and I'm not aware of any widespread information campaign having taken place as of yet.

Jen Keesmaat tweeted today: "June 16th we are formally launching the King St transit priority corridor pilot."

"Launching", in my vocabulary, would mean they're implementing it, i.e. effective June 16th King gets the transit ROW with limited auto access...unless they mean launching a more-in-depth study.

Could they really be starting it up as early as 2 weeks from today? I'd assume there would need to be a lot of advance warning to drivers, signs put up, etc., and I'm not aware of any widespread information campaign having taken place as of yet.
Just in the for the 514 Cherry. Don't sound like TO at all.

Of course City PLANNING has nothing to do with setting up transit priority of traffic lights, parking regulations etc so I am not sure what JK is saying....

Of course City PLANNING has nothing to do with setting up transit priority of traffic lights, parking regulations etc so I am not sure what JK is saying....

I would think "King St transit priority corridor pilot" refers to the recently discussed pilot project, scheduled for 2016, of making King St a transit-only (with small exceptions) 504 ROW? Not just transit priority lights and parking regulations?

Edit: this star article says that as of Jan 20 2016, it was scheduled to have staff recommendations fall 2016 and have some portions of it come online in early 2017, so you might actually be correct...might just be a light version of the plan to start. Would be nice if important stuff like this were publicized in full format somewhere besides twitter where the character limit leaves phrases like "king st transit priority corridor pilot" open to interpretation...

Back