News   Apr 24, 2024
 199     0 
News   Apr 24, 2024
 308     0 
News   Apr 24, 2024
 638     0 

TTC: Other Items (catch all)

A question for signal priority experts. I've noticed at a specific intersection on the 32 Eglinton West, every time the bus stops for passengers (probably 90% of the time) the light turns red, causing the bus to be delayed longer. Is this a badly calibrated signal priority?

Nope, Eglinton West doesn't have signal priority.

More likely it's signals that are simply timed really poorly for buses (which often corresponds to being timed really well for cars).

If it's west of Scarlett then it's operated by SCOOT, which optimizes timings in real time for cars, which could anti-optimize them for buses. You can check any signal's control system and whether it has transit priority (noted as "Pre-emption:Transit") on Mirasan.ca, a maps-based application using the City's Open Data.

It would be a good idea to install several mid car presto readers. That way people don't have to fight to scan their cards the moment they board.
I wonder if they could implement something like is done in Amsterdam where there are two designated boarding doors and the rest are designated exit doors. Part of the motivation there is that there's a mid-car conductor that sells tickets/enforces fare payment. It provides a nice one-way flow through the cars.

I wonder if they could implement something like is done in Amsterdam where there are two designated boarding doors and the rest are designated exit doors. Part of the motivation there is that there's a mid-car conductor that sells tickets/enforces fare payment. It provides a nice one-way flow through the cars.
I found it very strange starting with Glasgow to Amsterdam and beyond, drivers having a cash drawer in front of them selling fare media and collecting cash in full view of the public. Try doing that here. which was done at one time. It didn't take that much extra time to do.

Amsterdam Trams were more strange with gate at some doors for exit only and having a 2nd collector selling/collecting the fare media. Amsterdam was the only place I saw this out of the 26 systems I was on. It did help the flow of riders, but still cause bunching on the tram.

A lot of tram systems had fare media at all stations & platforms.

Presto is only require at entrance doors and about time riders understand that they need to have their card ready before boarding. Waiting to get it out after getting on is unacceptably and leads to service delays. This apply to current collection today. I can see someone one not having their fare ready if they are running to catch X vehicle or just arrived at the stop as the vehicle pulls up. I see this all the time on buses using Presto/fare media/transfer today and the back log they cause doing so.

Presto is only require at entrance doors and about time riders understand that they need to have their card ready before boarding. Waiting to get it out after getting on is unacceptably and leads to service delays. This apply to current collection today. I can see someone one not having their fare ready if they are running to catch X vehicle or just arrived at the stop as the vehicle pulls up. I see this all the time on buses using Presto/fare media/transfer today and the back log they cause doing so.

This really is unavoidable. Which is why I think that mid-vehicle fare PRESO readers should be installed. It'll allow people to get on the vehicles without delay, and they can get their PRESO card out and scan without blocking anyone else.

Twitter has sponsored the TTC WiFi network. As a result it has been restricted to users with Twitter accounts only. You must login to your Twitter account to use the WiFi, which will then feed to Twitter all sites you visit and apps you use.

I'm assuming that when you say TSP you mean ITSO, the City's signal operations people.

It is rather ignorant to claim that no one cares simply on the basis that there are signals you don't like, and claiming that quick fixes don't happen is simply prejudiced and false.
Thanks for the correction, that is indeed the division I was referring to. You provided excellent info on your post.

I beg to differ on my point where I said no one cares, because ROW transit signalling priority has been an issue that has plagued Spadina, St.Clair, and various points of Queen's Quay for many years. The issue can be resolved with some work, but it is clear nobody is interested because the same issues exist today. The thing is, when we have new LRT lines that open in ~10 years (Eglinton and Finch) the city will probably manage to reduce the efficiently in which those lines operate if they dont start taking transit signaling priority seriously.

It is very unfortunate that one would have to have a Twitter account just to use TTC Wi-Fi.

Not everyone chooses to use Twitter.

By the looks of it, it is a major breach of privacy.
How is it a breach of privacy? No one is forcing you to use the wifi.

It is for those who choose to use the Wi-Fi network. It would even render private browsing useless.
Connecting to any public network could result in a breach of privacy. This has nothing to do with Twitter. If you're so concerned about privacy, you probably shouldn't be using any public network.

Previously you could connect on the TTC network. Now you are forced to use Twitter and give it all kinds of permissions. It's an unnecessary step.
This is so backwards. Other transit systems around the world have had normal cellular data in place for many years now. This makes the TTC look rather ridiculous.

The TTC should not bow down to Twitter (or to any social media company).

The TTC accepted billboards advertising Facebook itself, yet having an account for said website is not required to use Wi-Fi.

Soon enough, Apple and Google would fight over which mobile OS would get exclusive use of the Wi-Fi network.

At least registration is not required to edit most Wikipedia articles.

Good thing St. Andrew station would not be Twitter-branded.

I don't see what the big deal is. It takes 30 seconds to sign up for a Twitter account. I'd rather have that then have to pay for wifi with my fares.

Back