News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.6K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.2K     1 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 465     0 

TTC: Other Items (catch all)

I've made a list of everything I think should be done right now (as in not long term) to aid in the flow of streetcars through the city.

I'm wondering if some people can comment on whats been done already, as I am not always sure, and offer any advice.

1. Traffic light control. (This is where an approaching TTC streetcar delays a light going red) - Apparently these are enabled, but damn if I could tell. They don't seem to be aggressive enough if they are.

2. Enforce the King ROW during rush hour. (I wonder how this could be enforced better, any ideas? License plate cameras like on the 407, ticket cars in the mail?)

3. Remove close streetcar stops. (Seems to be started, but at a snails pace aka TTC speed)

4. All door boarding. (Its just been started on the entire streetcar system, YAY! https://twitter.com/bradTTC/status/671810948479492096)

5. Illegal street parking (seems to be better after more enforcement, thoughts? I feel like on busy sections, street parking should be removed entirely)

Anything i'm missing?

Or we could use an automated system to do the same job.

Like what? a camera and machine gun mounted to the traffic lights?

In all seriousness I am electing an option that could be implemented tomorrow.

Some automated system could be nice eventually, but it might take some time to setup/implement.

You could literally have traffic cops out by the end of next week.

1. Traffic light control. (This is where an approaching TTC streetcar delays a light going red) - Apparently these are enabled, but damn if I could tell. They don't seem to be aggressive enough if they are.
Transit signal priority is a mess right now, and it's not going to work properly unless we switch to far-side stops or a driver-activated system. With the current system, a streetcar will pull up to a light, the green phase will be extended, and then just as the streetcar finishes loading, the green extension will time out and the streetcar will have to wait for an entire cycle to proceed. It drives me crazy -- I'm pretty sure the net effect is actually negative for transit. Steve Munro has been on about this for years, but nobody at the city or the TTC seems to care.

Transit signal priority is a mess right now, and it's not going to work properly unless we switch to far-side stops or a driver-activated system. With the current system, a streetcar will pull up to a light, the green phase will be extended, and then just as the streetcar finishes loading, the green extension will time out and the streetcar will have to wait for an entire cycle to proceed. It drives me crazy -- I'm pretty sure the net effect is actually negative for transit. Steve Munro has been on about this for years, but nobody at the city or the TTC seems to care.

Perhaps the system should be designed so that the light stays green until the streetcar triggers a sensor at the other end of the intersection?

TSP already works that way -- you'll often see the signal change as soon as the streetcar enters the intersection. The issue is that it can't hold the light green indefinitely. I think the transit vehicle gets a 30-second green extension. Could it be extended? Sure, but keep in mind that pedestrians can't cross in any direction during the TSP phase, so longer green extensions would inconvenience more than just cars.

The TTC and TSP arent serious about transit signal issues.

Take the 501 for example; on The Queensway at South Kingsway there is a signal that stops both cars and streetcars for pedestrians only. The light will stop traffic (including streetcars) even if there are no pedestrians crossing and it holds traffic up for about 2 mins. Instead of having that, if they implemented a system where the lights would change only with a pedestrian pressing the cross button that would make things a lot more efficient.

Another example can be seen when streetcars are entering and exiting Humber Loop (late in the evening and overnight). It is not uncommon to see the transit signal on red while no cars are crossing Lake Shore, but yet the light will still hold a streetcar at the signal for up to 3 mins.

Simple fixes can solve these issues and improve service, but does the TTC or TSP care? Nope, not one bit.

Take the 501 for example; on The Queensway at South Kingsway there is a signal that stops both cars and streetcars for pedestrians only. The light will stop traffic (including streetcars) even if there are no pedestrians crossing and it holds traffic up for about 2 mins. Instead of having that, if they implemented a system where the lights would change only with a pedestrian pressing the cross button that would make things a lot more efficient..

You're right...it's not just streetcars but for cars its one of the silliest traffic lights around. And what is it there for?

The people living in the new condo to the south can get off at Windermere. It's really only for the condo to the north and the South Kingsway.. But I only see people travelling towards the condo to the south when I do see people.

Dec 5
Caught this new Metrolinx Fare Machine on Bathurst St and the first one I have seen so far. There was also one at St George Station wrap also.
23460011722_fca8f312aa_b.jpg

Interesting. Are they the same models as in the TTC stations?
They are very similar to those in the new streetcars - except that Presto isn't enabled. They've been at many stops on Spadina and Queens Quay for almost a year.

What would they call them?
Well given they neither take Presto nor diced carrots, they could call it a veggiematic.

Last edited:

Take the 501 for example; on The Queensway at South Kingsway there is a signal that stops both cars and streetcars for pedestrians only. The light will stop traffic (including streetcars) even if there are no pedestrians crossing and it holds traffic up for about 2 mins. Instead of having that, if they implemented a system where the lights would change only with a pedestrian pressing the cross button that would make things a lot more efficient.

Another example can be seen when streetcars are entering and exiting Humber Loop (late in the evening and overnight). It is not uncommon to see the transit signal on red while no cars are crossing Lake Shore, but yet the light will still hold a streetcar at the signal for up to 3 mins.

Simple fixes can solve these issues and improve service, but does the TTC or TSP care? Nope, not one bit.

Man this is so true. Even driving, in Toronto, there are so many times where I am driving later in the evening and stopped at an intersection on a major road, for what? For NOTHING. No cars, no pedestrians, nadda.

Then take Vancouver for example, where during evening hours, the major road's traffic lights turn into "stop signs", where the major road is solid green and the side streets get a flashing red light to proceed through like a stop sign. It's amazing.

Back