News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.3K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.1K     1 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 393     0 

TTC: Other Items (catch all)

26% of riders have a household income of $86,000 or more.

That's quite high, considering the median family income in Toronto is about $70,000.
I wonder how many of those who commute long distance on the TTC really make less than say $35,000 and therefore have trouble paying for tokens. I also wonder how many of those who complain TTC is unaffordable to them are spending more than $4 a day on coffee alone every day.

This article from The Star has some interesting statistics;
Twenty-six per cent of riders have household incomes above $85,000, a larger percentage than any other single income group among those willing to divulge their bracket (26 per cent of respondents declined to answer the income question).
ci-ttcdemographics002.jpg

I tracked down 4217, the newly rebuilt ALRV, today. Interesting new flooring, and it smelled odd, as is to be expected. Very shiny! Interior pics:

IMG_0981.JPG
IMG_0982.JPG

And an exterior picture from Brad Ross' twitter--don't recall if it had been posted here:

qO4NOxd.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_0981.JPG
    IMG_0981.JPG
    901.1 KB · Views: 578
  • IMG_0982.JPG
    IMG_0982.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 647
What's so interesting about the new flooring? Is it a new material?

Yes, it's a new material. Now smooth compared to the metal lines previously present. It made the streetcar look very different the moment I stepped in--jarring, but not unwelcome. I felt like the streetcar seemed much bigger than the others, far roomier, like it looked like the aisle was bigger--a trick on the eyes caused by the smooth, clean looking flooring. You kind of have to see it to get it, but it was instantly noticeable to me.

Yes, it's a new material. Now smooth compared to the metal lines previously present. It made the streetcar look very different the moment I stepped in--jarring, but not unwelcome. I felt like the streetcar seemed much bigger than the others, far roomier, like it looked like the aisle was bigger--a trick on the eyes caused by the smooth, clean looking flooring. You kind of have to see it to get it, but it was instantly noticeable to me.

It also has the single seats all along one side like most of the CLRVs, which also makes the aisle look bigger because it is. 4239 is the only other ALRV to have the single seats along one side at the rear.

Its a shame that they didnt take the chance to rebrand their ALRVs with a new paint scheme similar to the new cars coming in
Still stuck in 1985.....

I tracked down 4217, the newly rebuilt ALRV, today. Interesting new flooring, and it smelled odd, as is to be expected. Very shiny! Interior pics:

Whoa, those look pretty slick. I'm sure it's been discussed numerous times over the years, but how easy/costly would it be to convert these vehicles for high-floor boarding (i.e raise the door, remove the stairs)? Or is that even possible at all? Perhaps these could make good tram-trains for something like SmartTrack or a future RH line, or some kind of future RT line.

I felt like the streetcar seemed much bigger than the others, far roomier, like it looked like the aisle was bigger--a trick on the eyes caused by the smooth, clean looking flooring. You kind of have to see it to get it, but it was instantly noticeable to me.

I think that more or less has to do with the fact that they removed a row of the rear seats in the streetcar. Notice in the very back there is only a single row of seats on the left side. (stage left)

There used to be 2 rows on both sides for the very back portion.

Back