News   Jun 27, 2024
 374     0 
News   Jun 27, 2024
 678     1 
News   Jun 27, 2024
 436     0 

TTC: Other Items (catch all)

Does anyone have visibility on exactly where the additional subway storage track planned for Kipling is going to go?

Does anyone have visibility on exactly where the additional subway storage track planned for Kipling is going to go?
Its is on the north side of the station in an existing tunnel with a switch to be cut in at the east end of the station with a short trail track at the west end. The trail track and the tunnel track were install last year and haven't looked lately to see if the switch has been cut in yet..

Looks like 2 trains could be store on that 3rd track with one fully out of the weather

Interesting item in the capital budget is the extension of the Streetcar Platform at Spadina Station so it can actually hold 2 flexities fully within the station.

1673726692964.png

To read that, Design began in 2020; design is now at 30%, originally pencilled in to happen by 2041, its clear the project has been significantly advanced with the cash flow suggesting construction could begin later this year.
Though, at 30% design, I'm not confident of that, given this will presumably go to tender.

Extension to happen at the east end of the station; and the news-stand it seems is being nixed.

Actually a really good project, as I'm sure you've all experienced being held on a streetcar approaching Spadina, and having to wait for the car in front to clear the station.

Last edited:
Where can they put the second exit for Dundas? Yonge/Gould ?

Yes, that is the tentative plan for the NB Platform, which would likely go ahead w/the development proposed for the current food stand market area.

There is no room for an over-station connection from NB to SB, and a new tunnel under is unlikely; so the SB Platform will likely depend on future redevelopment at Yonge and Edward. I'm not currently aware of such a proposal.

Alternatively, though it would not be at the extreme north end of the platform, it may be possible to include a dedicated exit from the NB Platform into the north end of Atrium on Bay.

Interesting item in the capital budget is the extension of the Streetcar Platform at Spadina Station so it can actually hold 2 flexities fully within the station.

View attachment 450524

To read that, Design begain in 2020; design is now at 30%, originally pencilled in to happen by 2041, its clear the project has been significantly advanced with the cash flow suggesting construction could begin later this year.
Though, at 30% design, I'm not confident of that, given this will presumably go to tender.

Extension to happen at the east end of the station; and the news-stand it seems is being nixed.

Actually a really good project, as I'm sure you've all experienced being held on a streetcar approaching Spadina, and having to wait for the car in front to clear the station.
It should happen in 2013/14 when the line was closed during the rebuilding of Union Loop and QQW.

The plan I knew back then that the west end was to be extended so 2 cars could fit the stations at the same time on a curve..

What they should do during the rebuilding of the platform is to raise the floor to match the car floor and then slop to get to rest of of the station. Eliminates the needs to step up/down as well deploying the ramp when the needs arrives.

If and when they rebuilt Union Loop, the floor should be raise as well.

[/QUOTE]
Great news! I didn't know that was on their radar - but could cut travel time on the streetcar northbound by a minute or two ... those waits sitting in the tunnel are so annoying!

Yes, that is the tentative plan for the NB Platform, which would likely go ahead w/the development proposed for the current food stand market area. Alternatively, though it would not be at the extreme north end of the platform, it may be possible to include a dedicated exit from the NB Platform into the north end of Atrium on Bay.
Looking at some of the other stations, it doesn't need to be at the far end of the platform - especially as the current entrance is so far south!

I'm not sure why they just can't do it old-school and build a staircase up to the sidewalk. Then, whenever there's a development, a subway entrance can be incorporated.

Great news! I didn't know that was on their radar - but could cut travel time on the streetcar northbound by a minute or two ... those waits sitting in the tunnel are so annoying!

Looking at some of the other stations, it doesn't need to be at the far end of the platform - especially as the current entrance is so far south!

I'm not sure why they just can't do it old-school and build a staircase up to the sidewalk. Then, whenever there's a development, a subway entrance can be incorporated.
[/QUOTE]

The current sidewalks are quite narrow; though this will change with the big Yonge Street public realm project, at which point I think that option could be considered.

This is the current sidewalk on the east side, you can see the vents, which are just beyond the north limit of the NB platform:

1673733191342.png

Definitely no extra room there, to me.

Same issue on the west/southbound side:

1673733270830.png

A set of stairs here would come up right where that garbage can is and would be roughly the same width as the vent structure.

View attachment 450524

To read that, Design begain in 2020; design is now at 30%, originally pencilled in to happen by 2041, its clear the project has been significantly advanced with the cash flow suggesting construction could begin later this year.

They could have had two flexities from the beginning if they thought to order them with selective door opening profiles, a feature that should have been thought of anyway. it would allow for the first car to be further along the platform, with the first door locked closed and beyond the platform.

Reactions: max
The current sidewalks are quite narrow; though this will change with the big Yonge Street public realm project, at which point I think that option could be considered.
Even if the lanes for Yonge weren't narrowed (and I think they should be - it would make the sidewalk better), the north-east corner of Yonge/Edward is wide enough. Also Edward itself is overly wide for just two lanes of traffic.

This is the current sidewalk on the east side, you can see the vents, which are just beyond the north limit of the NB platform:
Ah, I love that vent! I was walking there on it with my then 4-year old daughter, in some big poofy princess dress, when there was a sudden upblast of air! Suddenly that famous Marilyn Monroe picture seemed a lot more real!

They could have had two flexities from the beginning if they thought to order them with selective door opening profiles, a feature that should have been thought of anyway. it would allow for the first car to be further along the platform, with the first door locked closed and beyond the platform.
Drivers can absolutely lock out individual doors rather than selecting all. The issue is that it's buried under several layers of menus, and not quickly accessible.

Dan

Drivers can absolutely lock out individual doors rather than selecting all. The issue is that it's buried under several layers of menus, and not quickly accessible.

Dan
Does it prevent passengers from opening a door from the inside?

It would have to be a feature that engages automatically at specified stops to be useful.

Does it prevent passengers from opening a door from the inside?

It would have to be a feature that engages automatically at specified stops to be useful.
It absolutely does.

But doing that kind of thing would likely require a rebuild of the driver interface and system.

Dan

Back