News   Jun 27, 2024
 374     0 
News   Jun 27, 2024
 678     1 
News   Jun 27, 2024
 436     0 

TTC: Other Items (catch all)

The big problem that has to be fixed at the TTC is the bunching and missing vehicles on the surface routes. There are solutions available, IF they are given the power to do so. Public transit needs to be given a higher priority than the single-occupant auto.

View attachment 449941
You keep saying exactly the same thing. I think most of us agree with you already so maybe time to stop?

I do find the service discussions interesting. I've started taking TTC more now with the cold weather and I'm very happy with the service. The longest I've had to wait for a streetcar or subway train is 4 minutes.
I'm not a daily commuter so I'm only experiencing a snippet. Very happy right now. Service cuts might change that though

You keep saying exactly the same thing. I think most of us agree with you already so maybe time to stop?
Has to be repeated and repeated, until it becomes a earworm. Like commercials that is repeated and repeated.

My recent (post-Christmas week) experiences on the 504 is that service is bunched, but still frequent enough at all times of day that I never have anxiety about about showing up at a stop without checking pending arrivals in advance.
The 501 on the other hand is still horrible... but that's just as it always has been, and I sitll go out of my way to avoid it.

The subway is where I've had the worst experiences, particularly in the mid-day period (noon +/- two hours) where it seems like a train disappears and a ten minute wait happens far too often
The Queen car is an on-street amusement park ride except for those unfortunate enough to rely on it.

About two to three times a week, the 504 still has that huge gap of ~10 minutes due to bunching.

The subway has been less optimistic, every ride last week had a technical problem, a disruptive customer or a medical alarm. It seems like these events are a consistent base # that increases marginally as ridership goes up.

Has to be repeated and repeated, until it becomes a earworm. Like commercials that is repeated and repeated.
Walter. The problem is that, though many of your posts are different and interesting, too many are repetitive so I tend to ignore most of them. My loss but ...

Last edited:
You are preaching to the wrong congregation here as we fully understand the needs in the first place. We only represent less than 1% and you need to be preaching to the the other 74% since the other 25% don't give a shit or will never use transit in the first place.

You need to appear before TTC commissioners' to address your concerns as write to all levels of governments and those who have the power to make things happened.

You can join TTC Riders or other groups, but wouldn't recommend it.

Looks like they are finally starting on adding the elevator at the south end of the King Station platform.
Yonge is down to one lane north and southbound between Wellington and King.

No, it does not.

It serves to make people bored, if you're lucky and angry if you're not.

Let me tell you as someone who talks to City staff in different departments too, and here I mean the true-believers on staff in transit, in cycling and public realm...........they get so frustrated, hurt and angered by activists who condescend
to them as if they were stupid or didn't care.

For the most part, they know what needs doing, just like many of us here, and they are trying.

There is absolutely room to post innovative solutions from around Canada or the world that someone may not have seen; or to highlight an important precedent (I can tell you staff here felt boosted as soon as soon as Edmonton approved nixing parking minimums they were all over it again here, 'aha', we have a practical precedent we can refer to when doing a report/presentation).

Likewise there are always opportunities to discuss, well, opportunities, updates, urgent fixes etc.

But just repeating to everyone the same mantra w/o end is not at all productive.

The Queen car is an on-street amusement park ride except for those unfortunate enough to rely on it.

About two to three times a week, the 504 still has that huge gap of ~10 minutes due to bunching.

The subway has been less optimistic, every ride last week had a technical problem, a disruptive customer or a medical alarm. It seems like these events are a consistent base # that increases marginally as ridership goes up.
You can check the history on the TTC open data portal, though it's way up since 3 years ago even though ridership is down a lot on the subway

Board Meeting - January 19, 2023​

Meeting Info​

Date:Thursday, January 19, 2023

Start Time:10:00 a.m. – Public Session
Location:Committee Room 2, 100 Queen Street West & Virtual Meeting (Hybrid)
Meeting No:2069

From link.

Presentations/Reports/Other Business​

Item 1: Chief Executive Officer’s Report – January 2023 (For Information)
Item 2: Subway Closure and Streetcar Diversions – 2022 Review and 2023/2024 Forecast (For Action)
Item 3: 65 Cumberland Street – New Entrance Connection (For Action)
Item 4: Industrial Space Lease (Confidential Attachment – this report is about a proposed or pending land acquisition or disposition of land for municipal or local board purposes) (For Action)
Item 5: Procurement Authorization – Supply of Bus Tires (For Action)
Item 6: Procurement Authorization - Supply of Cummins Factory Remanufactured Engines – EPA 17 (For Action)
Presentation – Governance and Safety (For Information)

While they have the subway closures, missing is the date for Line 5 opening.

Wow, they all but avoid mentioning the big service cut (increased crowding standards) during most periods of the day (and by using the word "adjustment" don't even indicate the direction!)

Interesting that while they budget for post-Covid ridership growth, they are forecasting that 2024 and 2025 will be similar to 2023.
Always good to under-promise and over-deliver but the TTC normally tends to over-promise (eg a well spaced service) and under-deliver!

Back