News   Apr 25, 2024
 67     0 
News   Apr 24, 2024
 1K     1 
News   Apr 24, 2024
 1.6K     1 

TTC: Other Items (catch all)

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toro...moment-of-silence-woman-lit-on-fire-1.6512895

The woman set on fire a few weeks ago has died. RIP.

WTF needs to happen for governments to take public safety (and social spending, but in that order) seriously?

Irrespective of the order...............Angry voters; who make that anger clear (without illegal threats) but with clear communication and tangible action.

Apparently apathy moves few or none.

Edit to add: Its not clear (to me) as yet, that there is any specific action that the state could have taken in the above case to prevent what happened; and one could say that of many such crimes.

But it is clear that there is a need to take some action; and yes, optics being a thing; to be seen to be taking some action.

In order for any meaningful changes to occur there would need to be a mass casuality event. That event would need to result in an insanity plea.

Short of that not much will change.
That's not true, just see what happened after the Yonge Street van attacked (ie: in other words, nothing, because our politicians are a joke).

That's not true, just see what happened after the Yonge Street van attacked (ie: in other words, nothing, because our politicians are a joke).

There are moments when I think your desire to be cynical reflexively may get just a bit over the top.

What exactly were the politicians supposed to do after the 'van attack'?

To be clear, the assailant committed multiple acts of murder, which is/was already illegal, and already carried a punishment of 25 years to life in prison.

There's nothing new to make illegal (unless you wanted to make vans or cars illegal), and the sentencing laws are plenty tough, no reason to believe that 30 years to life would have prevented this.

We can't reasonably arrest people for crimes they haven't yet committed.

Nor can we or should we be placing bollards up and down every street.

Sometimes there is nothing to do but commiserate w/the victims and their families and lament the baser aspects of humanity.

There are (many) times when politicians and senior bureaucrats need to be held to account for the decision taken; or not taken; but sometimes, they bare no tangible responsibility and there was no easy way to prevent
a tragedy; that too must be acknowledged.

To add to @Northern Light's very sensible comments, it is worth adding that one consequence of the van attack/murder was that the City put the Jersey Barriers in front of Union Station = a perfect example of the "we must do SOMETHING" mindset that you seem to be advocating. Of course, the barriers are ugly, not really very effective and, if one thinks they ARE useful, should surely have been erected in MANY places in the City where pedestrians congregate.

There are moments when I think your desire to be cynical reflexively may get just a bit over the top.

What exactly were the politicians supposed to do after the 'van attack'?

To be clear, the assailant committed multiple acts of murder, which is/was already illegal, and already carried a punishment of 25 years to life in prison.

There's nothing new to make illegal (unless you wanted to make vans or cars illegal), and the sentencing laws are plenty tough, no reason to believe that 30 years to life would have prevented this.

We can't reasonably arrest people for crimes they haven't yet committed.

Nor can we or should we be placing bollards up and down every street.

Sometimes there is nothing to do but commiserate w/the victims and their families and lament the baser aspects of humanity.

There are (many) times when politicians and senior bureaucrats need to be held to account for the decision taken; or not taken; but sometimes, they bare no tangible responsibility and there was no easy way to prevent
a tragedy; that too must be acknowledged.

To add to @Northern Light's very sensible comments, it is worth adding that one consequence of the van attack/murder was that the City put the Jersey Barriers in front of Union Station = a perfect example of the "we must do SOMETHING" mindset that you seem to be advocating. Of course, the barriers are ugly, not really very effective and, if one thinks they ARE useful, should surely have been erected in MANY places in the City where pedestrians congregate.
My point was, that after there's a tragic event like that took place, it highlighted holes to which could've been addressed to try and reduce the likelihood of a similar repeat event happening at places with a very large and heavy pedestrian activity. Of course you cant go and install bollards or similar solutions at every single busy pedestrian area around the city, but it would make sense to address potential problems at the busiest locations and come up with a permanent solution (ie: Rogers Centre, Union Station, busy subway station entrances, etc.). For instance, i've gone in the past and e-mailed my councillor about the issues in front of Kipling station regarding cars driving in front of the very busy pedestrian entrance and PPUDO area, and the problem has existed for years. You would think the city would be aware of such a major design defect and risk, but till this the problem exists. We dont need a tragic event before coming up with a solution to a problem we know may already exist.

As a politician it's your job to know how to make your city a better place to live in, and if you're unable to determine how you can do that (or better yet if you know how and are unwilling to do so) then you really shouldnt be in the job in the first place.

The TTC has a new survey out on their website in regards to the 2023 Service Plan.

There are three sections, and you can choose to answer questions in relation to any one, two or all three of them:

1657581605521.png

I focused on the 1st section.

In that context, I took exception to a general tone that suggests they want riders to pick where to cut service in order to improve it at other times. Though I did agree
that the Premium Express services (which are low value, high subsidy) need not return.

I otherwise used the comments section to note that the TTC should not meekly accept an inadequate subsidy and ask riders to 'pick their poison'..

I also suggested the TTC could use its dollars more wisely by more aggressively managing headway adherence/bunching; and by cutting low-use stops that are close together;
further that they need to stop allowing themselves to be bullied/ignored by Transportation and insist on effective transit priority and left-signals where required for efficient public transit.

Last edited:
I also suggested the TTC could use its dollars more wisely by a more aggressively managing headway adherence/bunching; and by cutting low-use stops that are close together;
further that they need to stop allowing themselves to be bullied/ignored by Transportation and insist on effective transit priority and left-signals where required for efficient public transit.
I'll take some time out to complete the survey later on, but I couldnt agree more with your point here.

If the Toronto Public Library is considered one of the best city departments from a doing more with less perspective, the TTC has to be the most ineffective department in the city when it comes to managing it's resources. This is even though they gobble up approx 1/5th of the city's operating budget. They are literally incapable of using what they have properly; as i've said numerous times i've never seen things as bad in the TTC from a service perspective since the early-mid 2000's. Line management literally doesnt exist across the entire system, and buses are frequently operating in packs throughout the city. I can list 10 routes where service is absolutely atrocious and waiting at least 30 mins for a bus on a route that's supposed to have <10 min frequency isnt uncommon.

As for the Transportation department's effect on the TTC, it feels like both of them dont communicate with each other and they operate as if one another doesnt even exist. Then when they are on sync with each other, it's to collaborate on issues that have existed for years. That's just from my perspective though.

Last edited:
The next TTC Board Period (scheduled block of service) is out.

For the period beginning July 31st.

The notable news, to me, is finally some much needed improvement in off-peak service on Line 2.

Late Evening service on weekdays and early evenings on weekends will pick up 3 additional trains (going from 14 to 17) and see headway reductions from 7m15s to 6M on weekdays and 5m'30s on weekends, respectively.

For additional detail follow this link, courtesy of @Steve Munro

Something is going on at Warden Station and I suspect it is related to the 2 construction trailers that just appeared.

As of this morning Bay 1 is taped off and the 17 Birchmount signage is removed.

The 17 Birchmount has been moved to Bay 6 while the 69B and 70 have been moved to Bay 9. In both cases the route signage has been relocated.

I think they are permanently closing Bay 1 but I haven't seen anything posted in the station.

Methinks the Warden Station work has begun.

20220715_174339.jpg

I'm losing track of all the future TTC maps, that TTC has shown in the last few years. Have we seen this one before?

There was a "Transit Expansion Progress - July 2022" video shown during yesterday's TTC board meeting. I haven't seen the video elsewhere, so I've linked to yesterday's meeting.

Here's the latest map shown here:
1657924871651.png

Line 7 (Scarborough East LRT) is particularly interesting. Have we seen a recent figure showing the Line 7 number on Eglinton?
1657925062090.png

Transit City lives!

I'm losing track of all the future TTC maps, that TTC has shown in the last few years. Have we seen this one before?

There was a "Transit Expansion Progress - July 2022" video shown during yesterday's TTC board meeting. I haven't seen the video elsewhere, so I've linked to yesterday's meeting.

Here's the latest map shown here:
View attachment 414009

Line 7 (Scarborough East LRT) is particularly interesting. Have we seen a recent figure showing the Line 7 number on Eglinton?
View attachment 414010
Transit City lives!
Still irks me they call this "subway and streetcar map". At least two lines are neither subway nor streetcars.
Just call it "TTC rail transit map".

Back