News   Apr 19, 2024
 29     0 
News   Apr 19, 2024
 448     2 
News   Apr 19, 2024
 782     3 

TTC: Other Items (catch all)

I was just talking about this with my friend, she stopped taking transit because of how dangerous it has become. The last time she took the subway she witnessed a random assault where someone got punched in the head for no reason.

Lets be clear, this is a serious, awful incident (obviously); its also one of a few of similar scale the last several weeks.

One incident, however infrequent is too many.............

BUT........I ride the TTC, typically , on 2 or 3 days per week, generally 2x each time. In the last 2 years alone that's over 250 days and 500 trips on transit.

How many violent confrontations have I witnessed on TTC? In terms of actual physical contact........zero.

I did witness one altercation between 2 young men who were certainly chirping at one another, on a platform, though in the time I watched them, neither got physical.

Clearly there are many incidents which I did not witness. And in no way am I denying those or the seriousness of several of them.

But I do think we have to be careful not to wildly overreach in taking a few serious criminal incidents, 2 of which (Sherbourne and Yonge/Sheppard) occurred outside the TTC stations in question
and for all we know bear no real linkage to the TTC except proximity.

There is both a real problem, and a perception of a problem and both require some measure of action.

Terrible though this is, I am not really sure what could be done to prevent this kind of thing. Even if there were security guards on every platform, in every vehicle and and in every passageway, someone throwing inflammable liquid on someone (whom they may or may not have known) and lighting it would be almost impossible to prevent. The culprit was, apparently, caught.

I more or less agree with this statement. Though, I would add, as I have above, that perception, and appearing to do something about it does matter, whether or not it would result in a substantively different outcome.

I would also note that one of the serious incidents that has scared people, the 'pushing' incident at Bloor-Yonge could be constructively addressed by Platform Edge Doors, which we should implement for a variety of reasons other than safety as it relates to fortunately rare 'pushing' crimes. Their benefit, in terms of reducing track fires caused by litter, delays by people who jump down to track level to retrieve a dropped item, or their obvious use in preventing suicides all justify their use, with the prevention of this sort of crime as an added benefit.

It depends - we don't know enough about the assailant to know if anything could have been done. Not going to say no until we know more.

Fair.

What the TTC can do is take the general decline in the perception of safety seriously

Yes
- absolutely zero tolerance of bylaw infractions.

No. This will cause blowback with accusation of racism and mistreatment of people and attract negative public perceptions around customer service.

One needs to be selective. Sent out enforcement, behind social workers to address the presence of those who are overtly homeless or suffering addition or mental illness. Try persuasion and offers of help to get people to leave the system; supported, if necessary by some measure of force.

By all means crack down on anything overly criminal, be that violence or threat of same, or vandalism or theft. But open-ended by-law enforcement for say 'loitering' or bags on seats or whatever brings more trouble than is useful; and negative public attention/media focus will make it short lived anyway.

Said it before, will say it again - transit is not a social service, it is a transportation service.

AoD

On this we agree completely. Though we do need to provide that social service for those who need it; and connect people with same proactively wherever possible.

Reactions: DSC
Terrible though this is, I am not really sure what could be done to prevent this kind of thing. Even if there were security guards on every platform, in every vehicle and and in every passageway, someone throwing inflammable liquid on someone (whom they may or may not have known) and lighting it would be almost impossible to prevent. The culprit was, apparently, caught.
The TTC could at least start to have a basic security presence. Like I said last week: a year of riding the TTC regularly and I’ve see zero security or enforcement staff. That would go a long way to at least make people feel safe to ride the system.

Lets be clear, this is a serious, awful incident (obviously); its also one of a few of similar scale the last several weeks.

One incident, however infrequent is too many.............

BUT........I ride the TTC, typically , on 2 or 3 days per week, generally 2x each time. In the last 2 years alone that's over 250 days and 500 trips on transit.

How many violent confrontations have I witnessed on TTC? In terms of actual physical contact........zero.

I did witness one altercation between 2 young men who were certainly chirping at one another, on a platform, though in the time I watched them, neither got physical.

Clearly there are many incidents which I did not witness. And in no way am I denying those or the seriousness of several of them.

But I do think we have to be careful not to wildly overreach in taking a few serious criminal incidents, 2 of which (Sherbourne and Yonge/Sheppard) occurred outside the TTC stations in question
and for all we know bear no real linkage to the TTC except proximity.

There is both a real problem, and a perception of a problem and both require some measure of action.

Same here, i do feel safe on the TTC , but most women I know do not. Women are at a greater risk of sexual harassment and unwanted attention when traveling on public transit than men.

A horrible, tragic incident. Although I feel safe on the TTC, it angers me that more isn’t done to make others (particularly elderly people, young children, women) feel like they can take public transit without being assaulted or harassed. I really don’t understand how we can’t maintain this bare minimum standard. The City and TPS prove time and time again that they are absolutely pathetic institutions.

However, important to keep in mind that it’s ultimately a perception issue; in reality taking the TTC is much safer than the injuries and deaths caused by personal automobiles.

Someone remind me when Wellington street is to be done including TTC track and OS??? The signs say one things, TTC site said something different and construction saying something like 2023.

New poles being installed on Church for TTC..

Reactions: DSC
It's not just the TTC, COVID has brought out the worst of people everywhere. People are more likely to commit crimes and express their anger now. I don't know if depression, long COVID, mask mandates, vaccine policies or/and job losses/financial set backs have to do with all this.

Some people are just nuts now.

Someone remind me when Wellington street is to be done including TTC track and OS??? The signs say one things, TTC site said something different and construction saying something like 2023.

New poles being installed on Church for TTC..
Wellington is supposed to be completed by end of September and last I heard the TTC track is to be done in mid-August. Of course, it will be late but it should be done by late October - with the plants/trees in spring 2023.

They have installed new poles all along Adelaide from Church to Spadina and the Adelaide track project was advertised last week. They are working on the special overhead at Church and Adelaide & Richmond (and around the Victoria/Richmond turn too) and have installed new poles at Adelaide but I think the rest of Church already has new overhead.

EDIT: Here is latest published City update (but it will be a bit later due to 'supply chain issues'!) https://www.toronto.ca/wp-content/u...-streetscape-improve-cons-update4-mar2-22.pdf

Just got the update for 20 June which says:

"The Wellington Street East & Church Street intersection will be closed for approximately 17 days from late July to early August for TTC track installation. Once dates and traffic management plan are confirmed further information will be sent out via update in early July."

At least in the plans, the tangent track on Wellington to Church will be done BEFORE this while the tangent track on Church from Wellington to King will be done afterwards.

Last edited:
Wellington is supposed to be completed by end of September and last I heard the TTC track is to be done in mid-August. Of course, it will be late but it should be done by late October - with the plants/trees in spring 2023.

They have installed new poles all along Adelaide from Church to Spadina and the Adelaide track project was advertised last week. They are working on the special overhead at Church and Adelaide & Richmond (and around the Victoria/Richmond turn too) and have installed new poles at Adelaide but I think the rest of Church already has new overhead.

EDIT: Here is latest published City update (but it will be a bit later due to 'supply chain issues'!) https://www.toronto.ca/wp-content/u...-streetscape-improve-cons-update4-mar2-22.pdf

Just got the update for 20 June which says:

"The Wellington Street East & Church Street intersection will be closed for approximately 17 days from late July to early August for TTC track installation. Once dates and traffic management plan are confirmed further information will be sent out via update in early July."

At least in the plans, the tangent track on Wellington to Church will be done BEFORE this while the tangent track on Church from Wellington to King will be done afterwards.
Starting to work on the photos from yesterday and it clearly show lots of work to be done before getting to TTC tracks on Wellington.

I believe the rails are over by Bay St on the north side as never shot the location.

Putting in new footing for TTC poles between Yonge and Church with a lot missing.

Curb being pour from Church to a block west of it with the blocks dug up to Yonge and cable work.

Once the curb in place, the new curb lane has to be pour to allow traffic to use both curb lanes while TTC removes both East/West tracks and built the westbound tracks only.

I assume the south curb and sidewalks will be rebuilt like the north with new foundations for TTC poles.

Haven't looked at Adelaide St in the past few weeks and will have a look in Aug when we get home from holidays.

As a note, TTC last use the tracks on Adelaide between Bathurst/Spadina in 1963 and before my time. Would had help TTC to detour or short turn a lot better these day if they were still there..

With Adelaide rebuilt in 2023/25, it will help the 504 during TIFF. Got to get the waterline rebuilt first from Spadina to Parliament.

Car folks are going to love having streetcars on Adelaide for the next 7 years as it will slow them down with Richmond being more slow from Church to York

Dates will come and go for completion with late fall being done with luck

With Adelaide rebuilt in 2023/25, it will help the 504 during TIFF. Got to get the waterline rebuilt first from Spadina to Parliament.
Actually, the watermain was completed in the last few years on Adelaide from Bathurst to York, the only sections in the upcoming plans are York to Victoria and the section just north of St James Park - all scheduled for 2022 and the tender was posted last week. This tender is huge as it includes the TTC tracks, watermain, sidewalk repair etc. Once all is done the Adelaide bike track will be moved to NORTH side of the street - to improve the ghastly section between York and Yonge.

bnr-constserv2.jpg

Notice of Intended Procurement
ecblank.gif
Solicitation
number:
Doc3521913233
Commodity:Construction Services, Road - Curb - Sidewalk
Description:Request for Tenders for TTC Track, Watermain, Road and Sidewalk Construction on Adelaide Street from Bathurst Street to
RFT for TTC Track, Watermain, Road and Sidewalk Construction on Adelaide Street from Bathurst Street to Parliament Street
Issue date:June 15, 2022
ecblank.gif
Closing date:July 5, 2022
at 12:00 Noon

According to this map on TransitToronto there were tracks on Adelaide between Spadina and Bathurst in 1963. https://transittoronto.ca/archives/maps/ttc-track-diagram-19630906.png Last summer I noticed that they had exposed a piece of rail in that area while doing watermain work. Not sure it would be my top priority for 'new' track but ..

View attachment 408087
The three current grand unions are at Spadina and King, Spadina and Queen, and Bathurst and King. Those intersections are much simpler here. I had (mistakenly) thought they would have always been so. Based on this, the most complex intersections are some pretty minor ones. Church and King, Wellington and Bay, York and King, Richmond and Victoria, Victoria and Queen. Did I read this right?

The three current grand unions are at Spadina and King, Spadina and Queen, and Bathurst and King. Those intersections are much simpler here. I had (mistakenly) thought they would have always been so. Based on this, the most complex intersections are some pretty minor ones. Church and King, Wellington and Bay, York and King, Richmond and Victoria, Victoria and Queen. Did I read this right?
Take a look at https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grand_union

Oh what a pain for shuttle service on Bloor today. Took me 40 minute to get to Dundas from Jane St that was stop and go traffic going east. Could had walked faster from Keele to Dundas. Gave up on my plans for travel and a photo shoot that I got off at Dundas. Hate to think what it would be like to ride streetcars on Bloor today as far as Jane like it did before the subway open. On street parking is causing all this slow going on a good day.

Had a look at the grade separation at Wallace Ave and took the bus to St Clair and then to Yonge.

Before going home from Kennedy, I try to think of a faster route to get around most of the subway shuttle service and the subway was the best option as well the cheapest. Could have use Go from Kennedy to Bloor that would still having to use the shuttle service as well 3 fares.

To us 40 minutes to do the shuttle trip going west at 2015, but a lot better than going east that was still stop and go.

Will catch the 504 on Sunday at Keele and come back that way.

Dundas West Station tracks are all in place that would allow 2 bus routes to Lansdowne to be move back anytime.

Not much platform work to be done on the existing one, but a whole new one is needed for 505. Would say off hand that 505 and 504 could be back at Dundas West my mid July

Back