News   Apr 30, 2024
 150     0 
News   Apr 29, 2024
 1.6K     0 
News   Apr 29, 2024
 1K     1 

TTC: Other Items (catch all)

My trip on the 501 on Friday afternoon from University to Parliament: man passed out across all four seats at the back, man drinking cup of methodone and then vodka straight from the bottle, women boards at Ontario Street and literally pulls out a crack pipe and smokes it on the streetcar, mounds of trash everywhere, streetcar farts down the street pretty much never passing 5 kph. Pathetic.

My trip on the 501 on Friday afternoon from University to Parliament: man passed out across all four seats at the back, man drinking cup of methodone and then vodka straight from the bottle, women boards at Ontario Street and literally pulls out a crack pipe and smokes it on the streetcar, mounds of trash everywhere, streetcar farts down the street pretty much never passing 5 kph. Pathetic.

I noticed recently homeless people taking up residence on the subway. Not to shame anyone but there is a gentleman who regularly rides Line 1 and smells quite strongly of feces. He usually hunches over with all of his belonging and sleeps onboard the train. Last week I saw him on Line 2. He clears out entire cars and can be smelt across 3 cars.

From my understanding staff are reluctant to do anything because of his odor and the fact that he may have mental health issues. They are concerned about his hygiene causing potential health and safety issues.

Since the TTC is hiring more fare inspectors, it would be great if even half of the Flexities have at least one fare inspector on board.

I saw 2 fare inspectors on board a CLRV today. They were in uniform and very visible.

Man walks in rear doors and walks right passed them, does not tap. Eventually one of the inspectors asks to see his transfer and he just says he doesn't have one and is only going a few stops.

Inspector chastises him for not having the courtesy of asking the driver for a ride. Despite, this, she does not fine him or even ask him to step off.

I have concluded TTC is now just oh an honour system.

I was waiting for a bus at Eglinton Station late at night. The driver was not inside, it said "out of service" but the doors were open. Driver was probably in the break room, but there are a few customers on board.

I do not board, but moments later I look again and the route number/destination suddenly appear on the board. Can this be done remotely now?

I saw 2 fare inspectors on board a CLRV today. They were in uniform and very visible.

Man walks in rear doors and walks right passed them, does not tap. Eventually one of the inspectors asks to see his transfer and he just says he doesn't have one and is only going a few stops.

Inspector chastises him for not having the courtesy of asking the driver for a ride. Despite, this, she does not fine him or even ask him to step off.

They go after the easy targets like the unlocky occasional rider that doesn't know what to do when both vending machines are down.

Meanwhile no one wants to deal with people with no fix addresses.

Since the TTC is hiring more fare inspectors, it would be great if even half of the Flexities have at least one fare inspector on board.
Fare inspection doesn't work well with one inspector. All fare evaders will get off the next stop. It doesn't work well in crowded vehicles either.

It's a joke how the TTC does it and they should learn from other cities.

They're hiring Transit Enforcement Officers because Fare Inspectors don't have the ability to detain people currently (and many are just walking away). For safety reasons, Fare Inspectors and Transit Enforcement Officers work in pairs or groups.
I was waiting for a bus at Eglinton Station late at night. The driver was not inside, it said "out of service" but the doors were open. Driver was probably in the break room, but there are a few customers on board.

I do not board, but moments later I look again and the route number/destination suddenly appear on the board. Can this be done remotely now?
It's done automatically by the VISION system once the scheduled departure time approaches.

A bit of a puff piece on Rick Leary from The Star's Ben Spurr.

This quote from the article doesn't border on, it clearly crosses the line into absurd.

"He said the TTC had much to be proud of in 2019, including what he described as significant improvements in service. As an example he cited continued reductions in the number of “short turns” on bus and streetcar routes.
“I think people are seeing on the streets that there is a noticeable difference in the last few years with the quality of service,” he said."

It should have read "The TTC has much to be ashamed of including my scheme to profoundly waste resources, both vehicles and operators by padding schedules to a ridiculous level; all while failing to address bunching in any meaningful way"

Dupont station elevator project:

20191221_161802.jpg

We watched riders trying to pay their fare on a Bathurst Flexity last night with either tokens or money and fail to get a transfer from the machines. No out of service on them.

As we waited for the 511 at Fleet, 2 enforces got back onto a 509 and started checking fares. A lady show the enforcer a $5 bill and look like she was saying the machine either wasn't taking the bill or she wanted the change. No idea what happen as the car started to move. Other riders show the enforcers their Presto card that were validated by the card reader of the enforcers.

Very common to see people get on cars without paying to go a few stops or connect to the subway. Watched a number of people walk-in to Islington bus terminal off Bloor St this past week to get their free ride. Saw a few Mississauga drivers try to stop some of them with no luck. Then a few of these walk-in were to catch Mississauga Transit to the point one driver told the person to get off the bus and not to walk-in anymore, as well use the Bloor Stop in the future. That rider was piss off and had no rights to be when they were in the wrong in the first place. Seen walk-ins at various bus terminals all the time trying to get that free ride. These walk-in are from all ages groups.

This TTC page on Station Upgrades may not be new but I just saw it and do not remember seeing it here.

Plus this one on the new Art.

Which Subway Seat Is Best? Your Answer Is Obviously Wrong
A viral tweet about picking a seat on New York’s subway prompted a spirited debate over which spot is prized.

From link.

02subwayseats01-superJumbo.jpg

It is a subconscious decision that New Yorkers face every day: entering a subway train and making a split-second judgment about which seat to grab.

The choice is primal and depends on a series of calculations, including the length of your trip and the body language of the people seated nearby.

Most riders may not have realized that they had a preference until Gabriel Bautista, a college student from the Bronx, posted a photo and a simple question on Twitter on New Year’s Eve: “All my New Yorkers, which is the best seat?”

In the photo, a group of seats on a D train, in a cascade of orange hues, is labeled with a number, from 1 to 5.

A fiery debate soon erupted. The seat next to the door (No. 1), some proclaimed. The one by the window tucked safely out of harm’s way (No. 4). Definitely not the middle seat (No. 2), everyone agreed.

“Anyone who doesn’t say 1 should be arrested by the M.T.A. Police,” the television writer Bess Kalb responded.

Even Andy Byford, the subway’s leader, weighed in, noting that a true gentleman stands.

“I don’t usually use seats when I ride because they are for customers,” Mr. Byford said in a statement on Thursday. “As for choosing the best, that’s like asking a parent to pick a favorite child. Each one is special in its own way.”

The meme quickly spread to other cities like Toronto and Philadelphia, where transit riders debated their own seating options. And it prompted jokes about picking a seat on a Star Trek spacecraft and the set of the television show “Frasier.”

Mayor Bill de Blasio weighed in late on Thursday, speaking for tall people everywhere and shunning the seats with little legroom.

“1-3-2,” he said on Twitter. “4 and 5 don’t exist when you’re 6’6’.”

Michael R. Bloomberg, Mr. de Blasio’s predecessor and a regular subway rider, agreed with Mr. Byford that standing was the best option.

“I always stand,” Mr. Bloomberg posted on Twitter, alongside a photo of him reading a newspaper on the train, although he was committing his own etiquette lapse by blocking the door.

Some New Yorkers wondered how a train could possibly be empty, as the one in Mr. Bautista’s photo is, and whether it was also delayed. (The criticism is fair: Subway trains are late about 20 percent of the time.)

Other riders had more practical concerns.

“Whichever one isn’t inexplicably wet,” the comedian Mike Drucker wrote.

One rider complained that the seat closest to the door could inspire a robbery. “I call that one the snatch and run,” he said of seat No. 1.

Mr. Bautista, 20, said his train was empty on New Year’s Eve because he gets on at the first D stop in the Bronx. He was home for the holidays from Marist College in Poughkeepsie, N.Y.

“I didn’t expect it to blow up the way it did,” he said. “Everyone has their own opinion. I thought everyone was on the same page.”

Mr. Bautista struggled to select a seat on the train on Thursday morning, ultimately choosing the seat near the aisle where he could sit sideways.

“I picked 5 over 3,” he said, “but just by a little bit.”

The train in the photo is an R68 model, which is used on the A, B, D, G, N, Q and W lines, according to the Metropolitan Transportation Authority, the agency that oversees the subway. About 625 of the cars are currently in service.

Other models have different layouts, like the loathed R32 cars, which are among the oldest in the world. Those breakdown-prone cars have a long bench on either side, where riders often exchange perturbed glances over invisible boundaries because seats are not marked.

The subway seat debate started the same day that Mr. Byford, the subway leader, touched off another viral post on Twitter when the official subway account referred to him as “Train Daddy,” a new nickname that has made New Yorkers chuckle.

The subway Twitter account posted photos of Mr. Byford greeting riders on New Year’s Eve and thanking employees for working on the holiday.

“From Train Daddy himself,” the post said. “Have a great night and get home safely! Mind the gap.”

The nickname came from stickers that had been posted around the city with a photo of Mr. Byford’s smiling face next to the tagline: “Train Daddy Loves You Very Much.”

Mr. Byford, a cheerful British native, has become a bit of a cult figure in New York as he has worked to improve subway service over the last two years.

“He’s bemused that it’s caught on,” Tim Minton, an M.T.A. spokesman, said of the nickname. “He’s pleased about what it says about perceptions that he cares because he does.”

eixfh70x0aama8p___08154142363.jpg

From link.

Back