News   Apr 25, 2024
 254     0 
News   Apr 25, 2024
 826     2 
News   Apr 25, 2024
 837     0 

TTC: Other Items (catch all)

At around 7:10, you can see the Mt. Pleasant streetcar, followed by trolley buses on Eglinton West I think.
At 15:15, I think that's the Bloor-Yonge interchange when Bloor was using two car streetcar trains.
Cool footage!

It's interesting to think about: Toronto must've been much smaller than the East Coast US cities like NYC, Chicago, Boston, Philly, and therefore got a subway way later. I'm assuming this is why we don't have elevated trains on steel structures like those cities did. But it also got one before Montreal did, and it was smaller than Montreal at the time.

I still cannot fathom why Metrolinx decided to do this.

Apparently they wanted it to be compatible with the other new LTRs in the province. You know, the same ones that are nowhere to be found anywhere near Toronto.

What they should have done is order all of their LRVs for Toronto and elsewhere with TTC gauge. They way, the largest streetcar network in all of the Western hemisphere would be compatible just in case that would be needed in the future. Oh well.

They did standard gauge as it cuts costs on vehicles as you can buy off the shelf LRVs.

There really is no reason to make it compatible, they will run completely separate anyway.

I still cannot fathom why Metrolinx decided to do this.

Apparently they wanted it to be compatible with the other new LTRs in the province. You know, the same ones that are nowhere to be found anywhere near Toronto.

What they should have done is order all of their LRVs for Toronto and elsewhere with TTC gauge. They way, the largest streetcar network in all of the Western hemisphere would be compatible just in case that would be needed in the future. Oh well.
I'd have thought the different voltage would have been a bigger issue.

They can change the wheels on a vehicle a few millimetres quickly enough. Not sure how they'd change the power supply ...

They can change the wheels on a vehicle a few millimetres quickly enough. Not sure how they'd change the power supply ...

I'm aware of that as well. This is just hypothetically, if for whatever reason in the future they needed to connect the LRT lines with the streetcar network. It would be easier and cheaper to somehow find a solution to the power problem then to rip up all the tracks.

It's much easier to deal with different operating voltages than it is to change track gauge.

I'm aware of that as well. This is just hypothetically, if for whatever reason in the future they needed to connect the LRT lines with the streetcar network. It would be easier and cheaper to somehow find a solution to the power problem then to rip up all the tracks.
Why would they need to connect the suburban LRT system with the urban streetcar network?

Isn't it more likely that you'll see Waterloo LRVs in Toronto yards and Toronto LRVs in Waterloo yards? Or do you suggest that Waterloo use Toronto gauge as well!

Back