News   May 08, 2024
 246     0 
News   May 08, 2024
 599     0 
News   May 08, 2024
 1.2K     3 

TTC: Other Items (catch all)

The streetcar network is currently operating a bit different then usual, due to the "ice storm". 501 is operating with streetcars between Kingston Rd and Humber, and buses east and west of there, 506 and 512 are operating fully with shuttles, with the 506 ones going to High Park Stn instead of High Park Loop.

ttc.ca/Service_Advisories/Route_diversions/Ice_Storm1.jsp

It's definitely evident whenever I ride the trains, but remember, the T1s had some really bad noise issues back when Andy Byford took over as CEO of the TTC. If anything, it's probably just due to their age and the fact that the TRs undergo less maintenance than the T1s. It's probably just a pin connection that needs some lubricant in most cases, I doubt it's a serious fault in the construction of the TRs (Despite Bombardier's notorious reputation for quality). If people complain enough, the TTC will probably notice.

Greasing a pin actually makes sense since it's internal. Unless the unit is built "for life" (as in unservicable and scrapped once it's worn out). And there is the regular squeak/grind we're talking about, but on occasion it will make a loud k-chung which doesn't sound too great. Something's not gliding right. Either way it's a very interesting piece, hypnotic watching it. A 2D plane morphing into 3D polygonal waves. Glad it's not covered with rubber for this reason.

And with BBD I'm not one to cast aspersions. These trains and LRVs they make for the 21st are so advanced and customized there's bound to be hiccups.

Greasing a pin actually makes sense since it's internal. Unless the unit is built "for life" (as in unservicable and scrapped once it's worn out). And there is the regular squeak/grind we're talking about, but on occasion it will make a loud k-chung which doesn't sound too great. Something's not gliding right. Either way it's a very interesting piece, hypnotic watching it. A 2D plane morphing into 3D polygonal waves. Glad it's not covered with rubber for this reason.

And with BBD I'm not one to cast aspersions. These trains and LRVs they make for the 21st are so advanced and customized there's bound to be hiccups.

I was on Flexity 4445 a few weeks ago, and it was squealing and making this weird while turning, so I wouldn't be surprised if BBD's products are crap quality. How come the CLRVs no issues interior wise for a 40 year vehicle, yet 5 year old vehicle have issues...

I was on Flexity 4445 a few weeks ago, and it was squealing and making this weird while turning, so I wouldn't be surprised if BBD's products are crap quality. How come the CLRVs no issues interior wise for a 40 year vehicle, yet 5 year old vehicle have issues...
It's because a Flexity is much longer and heavier than a CLRV. it's not a decrease in quality, rather, a greater force of friction between the wheel flange and the rail. There's not much you can do other than constant lubrication of the wheels, and again, this isn't necessarily bombardier's fault.

Actually, there was a lot of grief when the CLRV's arrived. Their noise and vibration footprint was much different than the PCC's, and they received their fair share of complaints. There was mitigation and revision to track design as a result. We have gotten used to the CLRV's over the decades, but they were not an easy transition. I will take the peace and quiet of a PCC over the whine of CLRV switchgear any day.

- Paul

To back up the last post .... Toronto Star, 17 October 1981....

- Paul

Screen Shot 2019-02-07 at 10.08.24 PM.png

Actually, there was a lot of grief when the CLRV's arrived. Their noise and vibration footprint was much different than the PCC's, and they received their fair share of complaints. There was mitigation and revision to track design as a result. We have gotten used to the CLRV's over the decades, but they were not an easy transition. I will take the peace and quiet of a PCC over the whine of CLRV switchgear any day.

- Paul

Well, of course the PCCs were very nice vehicles, and they did indeed have less noise then the CLRVs. We did indeed start to get use to the CLRVs after 1995, when all the PCCs were retired.

@crs1026 : Excellent digging! In rush, will read your posts in detail later, but from memory, the story was the weight of the bogies was intentionally high to allow them to be coupled into trains for the original incantation of the SRT. They did take a toll on switches and I remember the hoopla at the time, but after writing them off in recent years, I actually now prefer the ride in them compared to the Flexities, as I do the MCI GO buses compared to the Alexander-Dennis double-deckers for ride comfort and seating.

I'm now of the opinion that it's a real shame the CLRVs were allowed to age as they have, but of course, it was predicated on the replacement of more accessible vehicles.

It's a shame...

@crs1026 : Excellent digging! In rush, will read your posts in detail later, but from memory, the story was the weight of the bogies was intentionally high to allow them to be coupled into trains for the original incantation of the SRT. They did take a toll on switches and I remember the hoopla at the time, but after writing them off in recent years, I actually now prefer the ride in them compared to the Flexities, as I do the MCI GO buses compared to the Alexander-Dennis double-deckers for ride comfort and seating.

I'm now of the opinion that it's a real shame the CLRVs were allowed to age as they have, but of course, it was predicated on the replacement of more accessible vehicles.

It's a shame...

The CLRVs were indeed supposed to operate in a SRT style design originally, not in the middle of Queen Street downtown stuck in traffic. It's sad that the CLRVs were allowed to age, but they thought Flexities would be all delivered by 2018. At least we still have a year or two to enjoy them :)

The CLRVs were indeed supposed to operate in a SRT style design originally, not in the middle of Queen Street downtown stuck in traffic.

That's incorrect - the vehicles were designed from the outset to operate both on PROW such as the SRT _AND_ in stop-and-go situations down downtown streets. Because of that, there were all sorts of design decisions that were made that would negatively affect the design as a whole, such as the over-built trucks and their heavy-footedness over trackwork.

Dan

That's incorrect - the vehicles were designed from the outset to operate both on PROW such as the SRT _AND_ in stop-and-go situations down downtown streets. Because of that, there were all sorts of design decisions that were made that would negatively affect the design as a whole, such as the over-built trucks and their heavy-footedness over trackwork.

Dan

Oh, never mind then, well, that is intresting none the less. Of course, we could have build more streetcar ROWs, but there is sadly limited space in this city.

Oh, never mind then, well, that is intresting none the less. Of course, we could have build more streetcar ROWs, but there is sadly limited space in this city.
We have built a lot more streetcar ROWs since the CLRVs were purchased. Back then, we only had ROW on Queensway. Now there's Queens Quay, Spadina, St. Clair, a bit of Bathurst (with a bit more to come hopefully), Fleet, Bay, and Cherry. And of course the hybrid experiment on King Street.

At least we still have a year or two to enjoy them
lol...they were of course supposed to be long gone by now.

I have the sneaking suspicion that some of the rebuilt ones with be with us still after the next "year or two" yet. The TTC would be wise to hedge their bets and at least stop the rust progressing, while there's still structural integrity left in the ones in good shape.

Last edited:
lol...they were of course supoosed to be long gone by now.

I have the sneaking suspicion that some of the rebuilt ones with be with us still after the next "year or two" yet. The TTC would be wise to hedge their bets and at least stop the rust progressing, while there still structural integrity left in the ones in good shape.

There are some CLRVs, especially those that were rebuilt, that look perfect, one notably that I know of is 4011. That one looks perfect. The ones like 4029 that weren't rebuilt look like a rusting marathon got to them.,.

Back