News   Apr 25, 2024
 245     0 
News   Apr 25, 2024
 384     0 
News   Apr 25, 2024
 581     0 

TTC: Other Items (catch all)

Has there ever been any serious consideration of splitting the Yonge-University Line in half, or splitting service in half during rush hour? It seems like it happens way too often that a problem happens on one side of the line, but it screws up the entire line (and as a result also screws up Bloor-Danforth).
No official consideration - but poster Gweed had this from a few years back.
I thought he also suggested the University side going down to York (and Yonge ending at Union), but I couldn't find it.
Decouple YUS.jpg

Apparently in the early 70s there was a general idea to expand Union with 4 tracks/6 platforms. Not sure if they planned on detaching the two lines, but it could arguably make sense. The Gweed plan would be pretty sweet and solve a lot of problems going forward (waterfront transit issue, seamlessly getting tourists to major destinations like airport, Skydome, Ex grounds, etc). Combine that with a Crosstown-style LRT on Queen or Dundas and we'd have pretty solid coverage.

Has there ever been any serious consideration of splitting the Yonge-University Line in half, or splitting service in half during rush hour? It seems like it happens way too often that a problem happens on one side of the line, but it screws up the entire line (and as a result also screws up Bloor-Danforth).

Or can they turn back trains at Union to at least keep up frequency between Finch and Union?

Or can they turn back trains at Union to at least keep up frequency between Finch and Union?
Absolutely. I checked this all out last night, had an extensive post, with maps and track diagrams for the subway, albeit from 2014. I decided to erase it, as the case my post made wasn't definitive.

The downside to turning back trains at Union from both both legs (which can be done by treating each as opposing stubs w/ ability to cross transfer at Union for through passengers) is the 'turn around time'. That's a loss of headway of at least two to three minutes for each independent leg vs through-running.

So the *practical answer* for splitting the legs is 'no, except in emergencies to maintain a reduced service interval on either leg'. The cross-overs are there, but the signals might be very slow on top of the crew change needed on the train.

In an emergency, if one leg isn't running, then ostensibly both platforms could be used at Union for the leg that can run which might reduce the lost headway somewhat from just a single stub termination which would be the case if the crippled leg needed to leave a train in one of the platforms, while the other track is used as a stub for the healthy leg.
https://transit.toronto.on.ca/archives/maps/ttc-subway-track-diagram-2014.pdf

Last edited:
Ideally, I'd like the Yonge Line to be completely separated from the University Line, and continue west, terminating at Spadina (or even better, Exhibition GO/Liberty Village, providing relief to the 504 and meeting the Waterfront West LRT).

In my dreams, the University Line could continue east, to St. Lawrence Market and either continue as the Relief Line, or just end at St. Lawrence and allow a Queen Street-based Relief Line to do its thing.

There are 6 BIG problem to do the plan shown in posting 9355.

Which line will have to be rebuilt to get under each other??

How deep does the Yonge line have to be to get under the current plan tall towers?

How long will these 2 lines be out of service for Union??

How do you deal with the double loads at King St station when Yonge/King can't handle it today??

How do riders get from one line to the other line to get to where they want to go in the first place??

What happens to the current plan for the DRL routing??

The idea of taking the Yonge Line up Dufferin to Bloor is weak, but has to get to Lawrence to do the some good, but still far short for subway standards. Dufferin needs streetcars today with various sections underground.

Saw the weather today and decided to leave my car at the office near Port Credit and take public transit home to Cabbagetown. 16:25 train from Port Credit was right on time, and I think there were perhaps 100 people max on the entire train, so a very peaceful ride to the city. At Union there were thousands of people on the stairs and concourse waiting to board my train, so I was glad to be off. Normally I would take BiksShare home from Union, but no chance in this storm. So TTC it was.

The 5:30pm subway from Union to College was sardine jammed. At King, Queen and Dundas the doors opened and closed leaving hundreds on each platform. It was so crowded I was glad to escape. Then at College the streetcars are absolutely jammed, and running at walking speed. So donned in my down coat, Sorels and Tiley winter hat, I walked from College to Sumach and home. It was a biting wind and hail, but the walk was kinda fun.

But those poor bustards on the subway. Next time I’ll take my car.

Saw the weather today and decided to leave my car at the office near Port Credit and take public transit home to Cabbagetown. 16:25 train from Port Credit was right on time, and I think there were perhaps 100 people max on the entire train, so a very peaceful ride to the city. At Union there were thousands of people on the stairs and concourse waiting to board my train, so I was glad to be off. Normally I would take BiksShare home from Union, but no chance in this storm. So TTC it was.

The 5:30pm subway from Union to College was sardine jammed. At King, Queen and Dundas the doors opened and closed leaving hundreds on each platform. It was so crowded I was glad to escape. Then at College the streetcars are absolutely jammed, and running at walking speed. So donned in my down coat, Sorels and Tiley winter hat, I walked from College to Sumach and home. It was a biting wind and hail, but the walk was kinda fun.

But those poor bustards on the subway. Next time I’ll take my car.

Damn, that whole story was one long winded commute..

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/snowfall-impact-commute-ttc-drive-schools-1.4996803

scarborough-commute.JPG

Which station is this shot from? You walk down onto a bus platform? Crazy!

Warden. Bay 9 is the shuttle bay.

It appears the Nova buses ain't got nothing on the new looks and classics in terms of snow.

I saw 2 buses stuck in snow last night about 400m~ apart one at Elfreda and St Clair Ave East and another at Birchmount Rd and St Clair Ave East (Northbound). The buses hit a little snow and spin out whereas the New Looks and Classics would plow through without issue.

Wonder if they neglected to factor in snow when they bought the buses.

Warden. Bay 9 is the shuttle bay.

It appears the Nova buses ain't got nothing on the new looks and classics in terms of snow.

I saw 2 buses stuck in snow last night about 400m~ apart one at Elfreda and St Clair Ave East and another at Birchmount Rd and St Clair Ave East (Northbound). The buses hit a little snow and spin out whereas the New Looks and Classics would plow through without issue.

Wonder if they neglected to factor in snow when they bought the buses.

Novas Buses don't got the balls compared to the Orions, Fishbowls, D4LFs and the CLRVs/ALRVs.

I was on an Orion today and we got stuck in the snow leaving a station. Does the TTC use winter tires? Also, investing a bit into shoveling the bus loops would be nice.

I was on an Orion today and we got stuck in the snow leaving a station. Does the TTC use winter tires? Also, investing a bit into shoveling the bus loops would be nice.

I... don't think TTC uses winter tires. As for shovelling, they should. Same situation at streetcar loops too.

Back