News   Apr 25, 2024
 301     0 
News   Apr 25, 2024
 960     3 
News   Apr 25, 2024
 1K     0 

TTC: Other Items (catch all)

I... don't think TTC uses winter tires. As for shovelling, they should. Same situation at streetcar loops too.

Apparently, not even the police cars are equipped with snow tires. TTC buses are not equipped with snow tires.

See link.

My guess, budget restraints. If the TTC and police were given the money they need, they would equip them with snow tires.

Apparently, not even the police cars are equipped with snow tires. TTC buses are not equipped with snow tires.

See link.

My guess, budget restraints. If the TTC and police were given the money they need, they would equip them with snow tires.

This video is a rally in cry why all TTC buses *should* have winter tires.

Warden. Bay 9 is the shuttle bay.

It appears the Nova buses ain't got nothing on the new looks and classics in terms of snow.

I saw 2 buses stuck in snow last night about 400m~ apart one at Elfreda and St Clair Ave East and another at Birchmount Rd and St Clair Ave East (Northbound). The buses hit a little snow and spin out whereas the New Looks and Classics would plow through without issue.

Wonder if they neglected to factor in snow when they bought the buses.
Of course they neglected to factor in the snow, it's not something they even consider when they purchase buses because they have more important things to look at when assessing bids. However i've noticed that they definitely have more issues accelerating out of smaller snow banks for whatever reason. The one thing i'll say is that the capacity on Nova buses are a less than it's actual stated capacity, and less than comparable vehicles (ie: the Orion VII and New Flyer XD/E), which results in even worse congestion like what we see above at Warden station.

I was on an Orion today and we got stuck in the snow leaving a station. Does the TTC use winter tires? Also, investing a bit into shoveling the bus loops would be nice.
The TTC doesnt use winter tires, but apparently there are tires available that have deeper treads which cost virtually the same as the tires that they use today (which GO Transit, YRT, and OC Transpo use) and for whatever reason they continually refuse to purchase those tires. These tires with the deeper treads are usually installed on the rear tires only and give a big boost to tire traction and acceleration in conditions like what we've witnessed today. I'm no tire expert so I cant really go into detail if these tires are winter tires, or just specialty tires with deeper treads.

Regarding those Warden subway photos, having passengers wait on the bus platform stairs like that is definitely a significant safety hazard and the TTC is very lucky that no one got hurt. This is not the same scenario as having subway platforms packed, Warden is particularly dangerous for having passengers wait on stairs like that due to how slick the stairs get in conditions like this, and how narrow and crammed the platforms and stairs are. The TTC seemingly already knows this and that's probably why they always dose the stairs with salt, but I cant tell you the number of times i've nearly slipped down the stairs even with good boots.

This video is a rally in cry why all TTC buses *should* have winter tires.

If Ontario follows Québec in legislating for snow tires in winter (unlikely with Doug in charge), Ontario had better help to pay for those snow tires. Which they won't do, especially with Doug.

Of course they neglected to factor in the snow, it's not something they even consider when they purchase buses because they have more important things to look at when assessing bids. However i've noticed that they definitely have more issues accelerating out of smaller snow banks for whatever reason. The one thing i'll say is that the capacity on Nova buses are a less than it's actual stated capacity, and less than comparable vehicles (ie: the Orion VII and New Flyer XD/E), which results in even worse congestion like what we see above at Warden station.

The TTC doesnt use winter tires, but apparently there are tires available that have deeper treads which cost virtually the same as the tires that they use today (which GO Transit, YRT, and OC Transpo use) and for whatever reason they continually refuse to purchase those tires. These tires with the deeper treads are usually installed on the rear tires only and give a big boost to tire traction and acceleration in conditions like what we've witnessed today. I'm no tire expert so I cant really go into detail if these tires are winter tires, or just specialty tires with deeper treads.

Regarding those Warden subway photos, having passengers wait on the bus platform stairs like that is definitely a significant safety hazard and the TTC is very lucky that no one got hurt. This is not the same scenario as having subway platforms packed, Warden is particularly dangerous for having passengers wait on stairs like that due to how slick the stairs get in conditions like this, and how narrow and crammed the platforms and stairs are. The TTC seemingly already knows this and that's probably why they always dose the stairs with salt, but I cant tell you the number of times i've nearly slipped down the stairs even with good boots.

The Terrazo at Warden let alone the stairs is bad. With a fine dusting of snow, a person can slide (with a running start) halfway down the bay.

I once ran for a train heading eastbound in the winter. I ran from the stairs and slid right into the train. Had the train been coming into the station at the time I would have engaged in symbiosis with the front of it.

The Terrazo at Warden let alone the stairs is bad. With a fine dusting of snow, a person can slide (with a running start) halfway down the bay.

I once ran for a train heading eastbound in the winter. I ran from the stairs and slid right into the train. Had the train been coming into the station at the time I would have engaged in symbiosis with the front of it.
If anyone wanted to place a lawsuit against the TTC, Warden is basically the place to do it. Out of all the open air stations in the system, Warden is by far the riskiest for slips and falls. The bus platform section should really undergo a whole station modernization effort, but we'll have to wait and see what kind of plan the TTC has in place to make it accessible.

There is no room in the TTC (and police) budget for snow tires. Something has to be cut, so it's safety, no snow tires for TTC buses.

If Ontario were ever to pass legislation requiring snow tires during winter, Ontario would have to pay the extra cost for the snow tires for the TTC. So they won't.

Can't imagine how the Steeles, Finch, Sheppard, York Mills/Wilson, Lawrence, Eglinton buses dealt with those big slopes at the ravines. That's pretty much all major east-west routes north of Bloor, scary thought.
Well it took me 4 hours to get home yesterday EB via 939, counted 10 cars, a van and a bus that got stuck on the hill between Leslie & Don Mills and turned Finch into a literal parking lot ??

Most transit properties don't buy tires - they "lease" them. The carcass of the tire is durable enough that they can get retreaded several times.

As for tire type, the TTC spec's a slightly higher-end tire than the basic model transit bus tire, which is usually equipped with some sort of sidewall abrasion resistance. YRT does not, and to the best of my knowledge neither does OC.

Dan

Back