1.2K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 1K     1 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 373     0 

TTC: Other Items (catch all)

New and improved TTC services coming Oct. 7

October 4, 2018

The TTC is reminding customers of significant service improvements that begin rolling out this Sun., Oct. 7.

These changes will improve efficiency along the King St. corridor, add express service to three busy bus routes and provide transfer-free bus service along Kingston Rd. in Scarborough.

In order to provide more reliable scheduled service for its 80,000 daily riders, the 504 King route will be split into two branches, the 504A King (Dundas West Station - Distillery) via Roncesvalles Ave., King St. and Cherry St. and the 504B King (Broadview Station - Dufferin Gate) via Broadview Ave., King St. and Dufferin St.

The 514 Cherry service is being discontinued as a standalone route with service being replaced by the new King branches. The change will improve schedule reliability with both branches servicing the busiest stretch of King St. between Dufferin and Sumach Sts. Both 504 King branches will be served by new accessible low-floor streetcars, though some rush hour service will be supplemented with older streetcars until the TTC receives additional new streetcars in the coming months. Consistent with the TTC's commitment to our neighbours, older streetcars will not service the Distillery Loop due to noise.

For more information, visit https://nam01.safelinks.protection....OdmTn24s7BMjw/3Pj8t7nqejRBjE0=&reserved=0

New Express Network routes

The TTC is adding three more routes to the new and enhanced 900-series Express Network that was introduced in September and continues expanding over the next three months.

Starting Tues., Oct. 9, the following express services will be added:
- 929 Dufferin Express: operating between Wilson Station and Dufferin Gate Loop. Service will operate every nine to 10 minutes in most time periods on standard weekdays.
- 952 Lawrence West Express: operating between Lawrence Station and Pearson Airport. Service will operate every 11 to 12 minutes in the peak periods on standard weekdays.
- 989 Weston Express: operating between Keele Station and Steeles Avenue West. Service will operate approximately every 10 to 12 minutes in peak periods on standard weekdays.

For more on the TTC Express Network, visit https://nam01.safelinks.protection....+ySp3h993OliTjZRTjXBiEs4XPnyM=&reserved=0

New Kingston Rd. service

In response to community requests, the TTC is launching a one-year pilot of a peak period service to provide continuous service along Kingston Rd. between Victoria Park Station and the University of Toronto Scarborough Campus. Beginning Tues., Oct. 9, the 12D Kingston Rd. will operate every 30 minutes during morning and afternoon rush hours on regular weekdays.

For a complete list of all service changes and improvements, visit https://nam01.safelinks.protection....Hx8LOviqdkUUtQpdUXnA5DndT535k=&reserved=0

New and improved TTC services coming Oct. 7

October 4, 2018

The TTC is reminding customers of significant service improvements that begin rolling out this Sun., Oct. 7.

These changes will improve efficiency along the King St. corridor, add express service to three busy bus routes and provide transfer-free bus service along Kingston Rd. in Scarborough.

In order to provide more reliable scheduled service for its 80,000 daily riders, the 504 King route will be split into two branches, the 504A King (Dundas West Station - Distillery) via Roncesvalles Ave., King St. and Cherry St. and the 504B King (Broadview Station - Dufferin Gate) via Broadview Ave., King St. and Dufferin St.

The 514 Cherry service is being discontinued as a standalone route with service being replaced by the new King branches. The change will improve schedule reliability with both branches servicing the busiest stretch of King St. between Dufferin and Sumach Sts. Both 504 King branches will be served by new accessible low-floor streetcars, though some rush hour service will be supplemented with older streetcars until the TTC receives additional new streetcars in the coming months. Consistent with the TTC's commitment to our neighbours, older streetcars will not service the Distillery Loop due to noise.

For more information, visit https://nam01.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=www.ttc.ca/Service_Advisories/504-514_route_change.jsp&data=02|01||a22b6cdf314a4f3418f208d62a08cb75|84df9e7fe9f640afb435aaaaaaaaaaaa|1|0|636742614607149772&sdata=qoS6Sr6e+ygov3OdmTn24s7BMjw/3Pj8t7nqejRBjE0=&reserved=0

New Express Network routes

The TTC is adding three more routes to the new and enhanced 900-series Express Network that was introduced in September and continues expanding over the next three months.

Starting Tues., Oct. 9, the following express services will be added:
- 929 Dufferin Express: operating between Wilson Station and Dufferin Gate Loop. Service will operate every nine to 10 minutes in most time periods on standard weekdays.
- 952 Lawrence West Express: operating between Lawrence Station and Pearson Airport. Service will operate every 11 to 12 minutes in the peak periods on standard weekdays.
- 989 Weston Express: operating between Keele Station and Steeles Avenue West. Service will operate approximately every 10 to 12 minutes in peak periods on standard weekdays.

For more on the TTC Express Network, visit https://nam01.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=www.ttc.ca/express&data=02|01||a22b6cdf314a4f3418f208d62a08cb75|84df9e7fe9f640afb435aaaaaaaaaaaa|1|0|636742614607149772&sdata=KcA2nRfdZZ1PaL+ySp3h993OliTjZRTjXBiEs4XPnyM=&reserved=0

New Kingston Rd. service

In response to community requests, the TTC is launching a one-year pilot of a peak period service to provide continuous service along Kingston Rd. between Victoria Park Station and the University of Toronto Scarborough Campus. Beginning Tues., Oct. 9, the 12D Kingston Rd. will operate every 30 minutes during morning and afternoon rush hours on regular weekdays.

For a complete list of all service changes and improvements, visit https://nam01.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=www.ttc.ca/Service_Advisories/Service_changes/Service_Improvements_changes.jsp&data=02|01||a22b6cdf314a4f3418f208d62a08cb75|84df9e7fe9f640afb435aaaaaaaaaaaa|1|0|636742614607149772&sdata=yxkyNtKKrI8LMyHx8LOviqdkUUtQpdUXnA5DndT535k=&reserved=0

I wonder how long the 504 split will last. When they tried it on Queen it was an abysmal failure and no doubt this will be too.

In theory it is a good idea to split the route on either side of Downtown but in practice it is not. When people need to remember is that vehicles need places to layover and when you have vehicles laying over on non-rev trackage (I saw non-rev in the sense that it is not a dedicated route i.e Parliament V.S. King) you will have headway issues.

I give it 3 months before the 514 is either reinstated or the split is dropped.

I wonder how long the 504 split will last. When they tried it on Queen it was an abysmal failure and no doubt this will be too.

In theory it is a good idea to split the route on either side of Downtown but in practice it is not. When people need to remember is that vehicles need places to layover and when you have vehicles laying over on non-rev trackage (I saw non-rev in the sense that it is not a dedicated route i.e Parliament V.S. King) you will have headway issues.

I give it 3 months before the 514 is either reinstated or the split is dropped.
TTC Shot themselves in the foot doing away with the 514 and wouldn't be surprise to see it back next year. I have trouble splitting route using a, b c since most riders don't have a clue where they go if they don't use one of them in the first place.

TTC first proposed 514 back in 2008 during the non public EA meetings, but where it would loop in the west was unknown and outside the EA study area for Cherry St.

I have trouble splitting route using a, b c since most riders don't have a clue where they go if they don't use one of them in the first place.

I am actually avoiding the 504 now because of the split. It is easier than trying to figure out where cars are going.

I'll expect Charlotte loop to get a lot more busy with 504 Short Turns.

12 minute headways on the 952 and 989 isn't going to attract a lot of riders. Most people would only take the bus if it comes oppose to actually waiting for it. It seems like they want to launch the express service but doesn't actually have the funding to keep the local service in place if they went for more frequent express service.

I am actually avoiding the 504 now because of the split. It is easier than trying to figure out where cars are going.
Now? They haven't started yet.

They'll all clearly say Broadview, Dundas West, Distillery, or Dufferin on them. From downtown eastbound is either Broadview or Distillery (turns at Sumach/Cherry) and westbound is either Dundas West or Dufferin.

It's not rocket science ... and probably simpler than the old (eastbound at least) 504s short-turning at Parliament, Broadview/Queen, or Dundas East which has all but been eliminated in recent years.

Why would there be more short-turns? The old 504 route had quite a few because it was a long route with lots of possibilities for delays. With 2 shorter routes that have a huge overlap in the middle) busiest) portion I think there will be far fewer and that it's a a very good idea. How many people take streetcar from Roncesvalles to further east than Cherry? If they do they can transfer to a 504B - both 'branches' still have very frequent service and will have signage. As @nfitz says "it's not rocket science"!

12 minute headways on the 952 and 989 isn't going to attract a lot of riders. Most people would only take the bus if it comes oppose to actually waiting for it. It seems like they want to launch the express service but doesn't actually have the funding to keep the local service in place if they went for more frequent express service.

The 989 provides a new through service at least -- but I agree the 952 won't be attractive enough to be really useful.

What’s the difference between branching and interlining? Kind of answered in Branching off subway lines, but still a bit confused.

Branching is having multiple routes with an overlapped, common section, and with different terminals at one or both ends. This allows for a more intensive service on the common section - usually where it is needed - and less frequent service at the ends where ridership is low. Most of the major east-west routes have branches (for instance Finch East has the 39A to Neilson, 39B to Morningview and 39C to Victoria Park - combined west of Victoria Park they have very frequent service, with the service tapering off as the route travels east).

Interlining is taking two routes with a common terminus and turning them into one long route. The advantage of this is that where there would be a lot of transfers from one route to the other it would allow riders a one-seat ride. More often in Toronto, it is done as a cost-saving measure and is virtually invisible to the public. For instance, you have two routes that take 45 minutes to make a round trip - if you want the headway to be half-hourly on both, you need 4 vehicles. However if you interline them, you turn the two smaller routes into one longer one with a 90 minute round trip - and thus only need 3 buses to make the same schedule.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

Reactions: DSC
Interlining is taking two routes with a common terminus and turning them into one long route. The advantage of this is that where there would be a lot of transfers from one route to the other it would allow riders a one-seat ride. More often in Toronto, it is done as a cost-saving measure and is virtually invisible to the public. For instance, you have two routes that take 45 minutes to make a round trip - if you want the headway to be half-hourly on both, you need 4 vehicles. However if you interline them, you turn the two smaller routes into one longer one with a 90 minute round trip - and thus only need 3 buses to make the same schedule.

A common example of this is the late night (think end of service) 70 O'conner/16 McCowan interline. IIRC one of the trips interlines from Coxwell to Steeles and then turns into a night bus. Essentially you have one long route from Coxwell Station to McCowan and Ellesmere. Don't quote me on this however as it is a one off each night to get busses where they need to be.

A common example of this is the late night (think end of service) 70 O'conner/16 McCowan interline. IIRC one of the trips interlines from Coxwell to Steeles and then turns into a night bus. Essentially you have one long route from Coxwell Station to McCowan and Ellesmere. Don't quote me on this however as it is a one off each night to get busses where they need to be.
Pretty good example, but a more obvious example today would be with the 73 Royal York and 76 Royal York South. These are normally 2 separate routes with branches, but they are being interlined (operated/combined as 1 route in a sense) until early 2019. Essentially, the 76 Royal York South turns into the 73 Royal York once it gets to a certain point (Bloor St) on the northbound trip, but no one has to get off the bus (if the routes weren't interlined passengers would have to get off). On the southbound trip the 73 Royal York turns into the 76 Royal York South once it gets to Bloor St.

I omitted the interlining with the 15 Evans just for claritiy's sake.

Back