News   May 06, 2024
 219     0 
News   May 03, 2024
 1.1K     1 
News   May 03, 2024
 709     0 

TTC: Other Items (catch all)

What changes will this mean on subway trains?

Subways run on a different system. Only the surface network is switching to VISION.
@Andy T is correct. I should have clarified, subway trains will undergo software changes which will allow their side destination signs to tie in to the rest of the Rocket train's system. That change involves Bombardier and is not really related to the TTC's communication system change.

Surface vehicles are undergoing the more extensive change.

*Insert pun here*
Before:

435px-Donald_Trump_official_portrait_%28cropped%29.jpg

After:

Vision_in_Avengers_Age_of_Ultron_poster.jpg

Interesting that more people are showing interest in fonts. You can blame Steve Jobs for that. From link.

I blame myself for being a graphic designer :p I find it hard to believe any sane person thinks the current font is easily readable, especially compared to TTC buses or GO trains.

At least the TTC does not have to deal with this kind of 'political' problem! From Belfast Telegraph..
Bi-lingual Glider signs to change to English-only mid-way through route
Buses will switch between English and Irish on routes

https://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/...nglishonly-midway-through-route-37319558.html

Or like Hong Kong, where all annoncements are repeated in three languages (Cantonese, English, and Mandarin). If you think TTC announcements are annoying, imagine having to listen to everything three times (now imagine Viva's stop announcements...)

Or like Hong Kong, where all annoncements are repeated in three languages (Cantonese, English, and Mandarin). If you think TTC announcements are annoying, imagine having to listen to everything three times (now imagine Viva's stop announcements...)
They werent annoying prior to Seth Rogen driving people insane.

While at college station earlier this evening. I noticed a Temperate Warning !! in red text on the onetop screen flashing over the Min on the screen.... can somebody explain what exactly was overheating? The station did seem, but not that hot.

While at college station earlier this evening. I noticed a Temperate Warning !! in red text on the onetop screen flashing over the Min on the screen.... can somebody explain what exactly was overheating? The station did seem, but not that hot.

College is always boiling hot for some reason so I'm not surprised.

Ventilation in the oldest part of the system is pretty bad. I suspect it's all the heat given off from the TR's AC unit that made it worst. I don't think it was that bad when T1's were running on Line 1.

Are there any plans to improve ventilation in the legacy areas? I think hot stations are going to be a bigger and bigger problem in the future. At least some of the TYSSE stations can get PSD's relatively easily

The thing is the stations were designed with G trains in mind. Minimal motors and heat generating mechanical devices on board the train. The G trains weighed so much they provided for ample ventilation via suction when they entered the station (think that gust of wind when trains pull in).

With lightweight TR trains with tons of motors and heat generating devices on-board you get more heat building up in a confined space. London has this same problem on the Bakerloo and Northern lines. The Bakerloo has older stations that were not designed with cooling in mind while the Northern Line is deep.. very deep and adequate ventilation is not possible. They tell people to bring water and try not to pass out on the trains.

The G trains weighed so much they provided for ample ventilation via suction when they entered the station (think that gust of wind when trains pull in).

How much air is pulled into a station has nothing to do with the weight of a train and everything to do with the volume, which has not changed.

So what, they issued a warning that temperature is mild, or that someone close by exhibited self-restraint?

Back