News   May 17, 2024
 2.2K     3 
News   May 17, 2024
 1.4K     2 
News   May 17, 2024
 9.9K     10 

TTC: Other Items (catch all)

Los Angeles is first in US to install subway body scanners, any interest in having this here;

https://apnews.com/0277303b776445c5...e-first-in-US-to-install-subway-body-scanners

800.jpeg

The TTC has installed new markers and accessibility symbols along the platform at York University Station to enable customers to see where the doors will open and to indicate where priority seating is located on the train.

This pilot project is designed to improve both customer flow and service reliability by indicating the areas to keep clear for those exiting trains.

Only some City Hall bureaucrat would think that this needs testing. It is done worldwide. Why not just copy best practices from another city?

And many cities have arrows to show where you should stand (and arrows going the other way for people disembarking). If they really are testing them they should have 3-4 different markings along the entire station to check which ones users respond to the best.

Only some City Hall bureaucrat would think that this needs testing. It is done worldwide. Why not just copy best practices from another city?

The same designs are going to be understood differently by people in different cities. They'll also be understood very differently by people who obsess over public transit than by the typical TTC user. It's important to make sure that most people here in Toronto are responding to the markers the way the TTC wants them to. The fact that it works in other cities doesn't guarantee that it will work here too.

(Also, this can't be installed in any stations south of Downsview yet, because ATC isn't used there).

Reactions: DSC
Marking where doors are is great but only if the train stops in exactly the right spot. With ATC it should be able to, with human drivers it often will not. I hope we do not 'see more of it' until it will actually work.
Once ATC is enabled on the entire Yonge Line...

We need precision stopping (precision berth) at Union station because there's a situation where the southbound Yonge street train often parks an additional set of doors (7th set from the east end of the train) in front of a wall instead of to an opening, if the train overshoots.

We can't do anything about the 8th set of doors (from east tip of train) which always opens to the tight passageway, but we don't have to block both the 7th and 8th sets of doors -- as the 7th set of doors will open out to a much roomier area if the train berths between 2 to 4 meters to the east instead; speeding up disembarkation for that set of doors.

There's often so many people waiting in that tight wall area, and there's no room to exit the train if too many sets of doors stop in front of a tight passageway.

Disembarkation takes 2x longer for sets of doors that stops in front of that tight-passageway wall. There's a berth position for the train that has fewer sets of doors (grand totalled, for the whole train) opening to tight-passageway areas, so TTC should optimize for that berth position.

At Toronto Union TTC, I notice much faster disembarking for 2nd-coach (2nd coach from east end) passengers TTC Union Station customer flows during peak period.
....If the train stops with the fewest doors opening to the narrowest passageway if the train stops about 4 meters to the east -- which it seems to do only 1 out of 3 times (or less).

Precision stopping with an optimized "berth position" would reduce the number of doorsets stopping in front of a wall only 2 meters in front of the doors.

The only way to properly manage ingress/egress would be to have platform doors with nasty spikes opening outward to ensure door chargers on the platform don’t do it twice

I was on the 11 Bayview earlier this week and noticed the stop announcement voice and screen had changed.

The voice is different and now also verbally says "stop requested". The LCD strip now also indicated 'stop requested', puts a stop in italics when it has arrived at said stop, and rotates between stop name, the current time, and the operator ID.

Is this something the TTC is installing on all buses and streetcars as I haven't seen this new system on any other routes? Would love to see the time displayed on subways too (and the horrific font changed).

I was on the 11 Bayview earlier this week and noticed the stop announcement voice and screen had changed.

The voice is different and now also verbally says "stop requested". The LCD strip now also indicated 'stop requested', puts a stop in italics when it has arrived at said stop, and rotates between stop name, the current time, and the operator ID.

Is this something the TTC is installing on all buses and streetcars as I haven't seen this new system on any other routes? Would love to see the time displayed on subways too (and the horrific font changed).
It's part of the changes that are coming with the TTC's new VISION communication system, which is replacing the antique TRUMP communication units which are currently in all TTC vehicles. With the Vision system, comes changes to the automated stop announcements, as well as audible route announcements.

Buses are currently undergoing the swap out from TRUMP to VISION, and as far as I know streetcars were to follow, and then subway trains last. However, that plan may have changed following the Bombardier weldment fiasco. The instillation with the buses are happening based by vehicle division (ie: by bus garage) so it will take time to see it rollout system wide. All the announcements are automated, so say we're slowly saying goodbye to the automated human voices for stop annoucements.

It's part of the changes that are coming with the TTC's new VISION communication system, which is replacing the antique TRUMP communication units which are currently in all TTC vehicles. With the Vision system, comes changes to the automated stop announcements, as well as audible route announcements.

Buses are currently undergoing the swap out from TRUMP to VISION, and as far as I know streetcars were to follow, and then subway trains last. However, that plan may have changed following the Bombardier weldment fiasco. The instillation with the buses are happening based by vehicle division (ie: by bus garage) so it will take time to see it rollout system wide. All the announcements are automated, so say we're slowly saying goodbye to the automated human voices for stop annoucements.

It makes sense really with all the stops in the TTC someones voice would die out long before they finished.

Try out the new kiss & Rider lot at Kipling before trying to find a parking spot. That u-Turn had a few issues, but not as bad as I thought. most of the area was being used as a parking lot with cars parked the wrong direction in the arrow lane. It was a bitch trying to get in and out of the area with people trying to park or the way the cars were park. \

The east end Kiss & rider was all most fill with park cars and no one around for either lot to say they were waiting for someone pertaining to these illegal park cars.

One hopes that TTC is looking at this mess and plan on doing something about it.

We parked in the south lot with no problem.

The other thing we saw was people with strollers trying to get through the fare gates that were too narrow for them to catch the subway. The collector wasn't any help to them to the point I told them to go to the bus level to get in and then take the elevator to the subway platform. This is a big issue when people use the south lot as its not accessibly to the collector area or access to the elevator. One hopes with this building of the Regional Hub, that the tunnel stair area is lower or be a ramp so accessibly riders and people with strollers can gain access to the elevator.

...Would love to see the time displayed on subways too (and the horrific font changed).

Interesting that more people are showing interest in fonts. You can blame Steve Jobs for that. From link.

Steve talks about once taking a calligraphy class, which he also talked about in his Stanford Commencement Address:

“I decided to take a calligraphy class to learn how to [learn calligraphy]. I learned about serif and sans-serif typefaces, about varying the space between different letter combinations, about what makes great typography great. It was beautiful. Historical. Artistically subtle in a way that science can't capture. And I found it fascinating. None of this had any hope of any practical application in my life. But 10 years later, when we were designing the first Macintosh computer, it all came back to me. And we designed it all into the Mac. It was the first computer with beautiful typography. If I had never dropped in on that single course in college, the Mac would never have multiple typefaces or proportionally spaced fonts. And since Windows just copied the Mac, it's likely that no personal computer would have them.”

Keep learning and experiencing new things. You never know how or when it may make an impact in the future.

Back