News   Jul 17, 2024
 395     0 
News   Jul 17, 2024
 1.1K     2 
News   Jul 17, 2024
 589     0 

TTC: Other Items (catch all)

Pathetic basket of excuses and posterior rearguard.

It's the reality of operating a transit system in a huge city. Even with the DRL fully built, this catastrophe would still happen if a couple of human errors and a couple of poorly timed incidents happen during rush hour.

It's the reality of operating a transit system in a huge city. Even with the DRL fully built, this catastrophe would still happen if a couple of human errors and a couple of poorly timed incidents happen during rush hour.
Toronto is not a huge city.

Some other cities have off-peak transit passes. They set them a lot cheaper than peak hour passes, and just require you to pay the regular fare if you try getting on during peak hours.

I'd be in favour of this. Personally, I'd be fine with seeing the Presto fare raised by $0.50 during peak periods and lowered by $0.50 during non-peak periods. Cash fare would rise the $0.50 to encourage Presto adoption. When you buy monthly passes using Presto, there could be the option to buy either a Peak + Non-Peak Pass, or just a Non-Peak Pass.

As an aside, I'd love the same option for GO. It irks me that even if I'm taking the 23:43 train out of Union on a Sunday I'm paying the exact same as if I was taking the 16:30 on a Tuesday.

So what is it that you were hoping to hear?

To not have my intelligence insulted by the Mayor's office trying to veil their inaction with this 10-point plan of measures that are either inconsequential or were either already underway

To see the mayor support expediting planning of the Relief Line, rather than committing to merely thinking about doing it.

To have a mayor that doesn't vote down additions to the TTC maintenance budget that could have prevented this from happening in the first place.

Third or fourth (depends who is measuring) City in North America qualifies it as a large, major city. Personally I don’t think council realizes how large of a city they are managing. They still treat it as a small city.
That's because all they (or most of them) see is their Ward. When Rob was Mayor I heard from Pam McConnell that she had to give him directions to get to St Lawrence Market (or maybe Hall) - though he had probably driven past it en route to the Gardiner and home to Etobicoke.

Third or fourth (depends who is measuring) City in North America qualifies it as a large, major city. Personally I don’t think council realizes how large of a city they are managing. They still treat it as a small city.
In terms of population and size of transit we are way smaller than the first two, let alone other large cities in the world.

I think that's just reflective of the general population in Toronto. Most people probably haven't seen a majority of the city - they have "their" areas and rarely go outside them. That's especially true for people who live in the core - I know lots of people well into their 20s who've lived their entire life here and have never crossed Victoria Park or the Humber River, except on the 401/Gardiner.

I think that's just reflective of the general population in Toronto. Most people probably haven't seen a majority of the city - they have "their" areas and rarely go outside them. That's especially true for people who live in the core - I know lots of people well into their 20s who've lived their entire life here and have never crossed Victoria Park or the Humber River, except on the 401/Gardiner.
To them northern Ontario starts at Bloor lol.

In terms of population and size of transit we are way smaller than the first two, let alone other large cities in the world.

I wouldn't call Los Angeles a paragon of transit. They are trying really hard to catch up, but they are way behind. Chicago and NYC are cities that built great systems in the past, but both basically sat on their laurels for 50 years or more.

Back