News   Jul 17, 2024
 464     0 
News   Jul 17, 2024
 1.3K     2 
News   Jul 17, 2024
 612     0 

TTC: Other Items (catch all)

Isn't that kind of like curing the disease by killing the patient? The burden would just fall onto the also overcapacity road infrastructure.

We seem to struggle for money to order buses, streetcars, and build subways. Always more plans than funds available.

Raising the prices by a dime above normal increases is enough to pay for about 100 buses (capital, not operating) or 15 streetcars.

A $1 downtown surcharge during peak periods only would likely fund $1B or so in capital. That's a lot of trams or perhaps platform screen doors and more exits for increased subway reliability.

We seem to struggle for money to order buses, streetcars, and build subways. Always more plans than funds available.

Raising the prices by a dime above normal increases is enough to pay for about 100 buses (capital, not operating) or 15 streetcars.

A $1 downtown surcharge during peak periods only would likely fund $1B or so in capital. That's a lot of trams or perhaps platform screen doors and more exits for increased subway reliability.

We don't surcharge 401 drivers for widening the highway.

If we did, there would be ample resources and room to raise transit prices if so desired.

A base toll equal to a cash TTC fare ($3.25 per direction, for the typical commuter) on every highway would raise no less than 1.5B per year. (there are 500,000 cars using 401 daily, in Toronto, alone)

Alternatively, a point of provincial sales tax would raise close to 3B per year; enough to fund 2B in new infrastructure spending, while beginning to reduce debt.

Both of those strike me as better alternatives to a higher TTC price point in the near term.

I wonder if legally assisted death for those without physical symptoms would reduce subway suicides.

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/lif...to-those-with-mental-illness/article34753182/

I'm here in Hong Kong, and most stations have floor to ceiling barriers mentioned in the article. In addition to preventing people from intentionally and accidentally falling onto the tracks, the barriers prevent platform litter from causing fires on the tracks, and dramatically reduce the noise and dust on the platform associated with train ops. Now, I did see a few stations with only half height barriers, so a motivated person could presumably try to hurdle the barrier.

And considering something like 95% of riders use pre-paid fare media, how to you plan to implement this?

Dan
Toronto, Ont.
Although I am not in favour of this proposal, in addition to a token, one must add an extra dollar as a surcharge. Monthly passes are expensive enough as is and a peak period surcharge could increase the pass by say 5-10$, but it includes unlimited peak period travel. This makes the option viable for commuters and gives them the incentive to use public transit more often.

Although I am not in favour of this proposal, in addition to a token, one must add an extra dollar as a surcharge. Monthly passes are expensive enough as is and a peak period surcharge could increase the pass by say 5-10$, but it includes unlimited peak period travel. This makes the option viable for commuters and gives them the incentive to use public transit more often.

I say we triple the cost of the Metropass. $450 dollars a month!

Back