News   Jul 16, 2024
 196     0 
News   Jul 16, 2024
 331     0 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 1.1K     3 

TTC: Other Items (catch all)

I don’t think the infrastructure will be sized for a 4 car trains - more like they will be operated as such to start (just like Line 1 started with some 2 car trains in the very early days) in DRL short . It won’t even come up with DRL long.

AoD
It comes down to money. When one chose the most expensive means of construction and the deepest stations, then the marginal cost (as a %) of adding longer stations is not as high. Once you've dug down that far, may as well do it right. If you chose shallow cut-and-cover, or elevated, then the upfront cost is low enough that additional costs become more significant. It's the reason these costs just keep going up and up and the extent of the project doesn't get to a length that would actually make a difference.

Trains are holding on Line 1 at Eglinton W Stn with mechanical difficulties on board a train. We are turning back at St Clair W and Wilson Stns. #TTC

4 days in a row...and counting...

Remember these two names carefully - from the Toronto Star:

“We are being told by the chief planner (Jennifer Keesmaat) and the transit intelligentsia that this is the be-all and end-all, the silver bullet,” says TTC chair Josh Colle, sounding awfully skeptical. With the full press on to promote the DRL, public approval should be at 70 per cent, not the 29 per cent who say it is the city’s most urgent need, he says.

Councillor Joe Mihevc, a transit-friendly, left-wing, midtown transit commissioner, surprises with this:

“What we have is a (capacity) problem for four hours of the day, two in the a.m. and two in the p.m.,” Mihevc says. “The rest of the time it will be a white elephant, I truly believe that.”

https://www.thestar.com/news/gta/tr...-for-disrespect-and-disappointment-james.html

AoD

Councillor Joe Mihevc, a transit-friendly, left-wing, midtown transit commissioner, surprises with this:

What we have is a (capacity) problem for four hours of the day, two in the a.m. and two in the p.m.,” Mihevc says. “The rest of the time it will be a white elephant, I truly believe that.”

Meanwhile the Scarborough subway (which he voted for) will be a white elephant 100% of the time. Anything to say about that, Joe?

Trains are holding on Line 1 at Eglinton W Stn with mechanical difficulties on board a train. We are turning back at St Clair W and Wilson Stns. #TTC

4 days in a row...and counting...

Luckily my train passed through the area a few minutes before it happened. Of course the operator kept announcing it anyway on the PA and updating us every 2 minutes, even though precisely zero people on my train could possibly have be affected. Why do they always gotta do this?

In Hong Kong their subway is outsourced to private contractors. If there is a major delay the contractors are fined based on the delay time. No wonder they are so efficient!

With @PRESTOcard we should have cut a lot of toll collector jobs (some got paid 6-digit salary), yet we are not sure if there is any saving, which should be re-invested in vehicles and facilities.

With @PRESTOcard we should have cut a lot of toll collector jobs (some got paid 6-digit salary), yet we are not sure if there is any saving, which should be re-invested in vehicles and facilities.

You do realize why many of those collectors are there and why they get 6-figure salaries, right?

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

Back