News   Jul 15, 2024
 716     3 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 879     1 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 625     0 

TTC: Other Items (catch all)

The video of the crowds at the staircase and enclosed tunnels is what perturbed me most - you basically have a situation where egress points are blocked, and that's a recipe for disaster. All it takes is a slight stampede to get things going the wrong way.

AoD

Someone is going to die. They're going to fall on the tracks from narrow overcrowded platforms in St George or they're going to have a medical event and won't be able to get out, or help won't be able to get to them. But hey, let's keep running austerity budgets so we can keep tax increases below the rate of inflation. That's the important thing.

Someone is going to die. They're going to fall on the tracks from narrow overcrowded platforms in St George or they're going to have a medical event and won't be able to get out, or help won't be able to get to them. But hey, let's keep running austerity budgets so we can keep tax increases below the rate of inflation. That's the important thing.

But hey, while you won't be able to hear the PA announcing what the issue is while you asphyxiate, you'd bet your *** that you can hear those TTC safety messages pontificating aloud. There is a certain not so funny hilarity to that.

It isn't just a matter of austerity budget - but also how capital spending is allocated. Subway to Vaughan doesn't resolve any pressing transit issue - DRL does. And guess which one happened first?

AoD

Last edited:
Seriously, what will it take for them to hurry the **** up? A few deaths accidents stemming from overcrowding, perhaps? Stop ******* waiting for the election year.

AoD
I think that's exactly what they are waiting for. But it's ok we have a one-stop subway express to Scarborough that will create the longest subway tunnel in world that will help us.

Politicians in this city and province never cease to amaze me with their level of sheer stupidity. We debate transit projects that make too much sense, so much so that in the end we end up with subway extensions which: a) take people to the middle of nowhere, or b) are the equivalent of burning huge sums money in a bonfire.

Add to the fact that we have voters who are completely clueless about affairs in the city and province, and the end result is the jammed up platforms we see everyday.

I think that's exactly what they are waiting for. But it's ok we have a one-stop subway express to Scarborough that will create the longest subway tunnel in world that will help us.

Politicians in this city and province never cease to amaze me with their level of sheer stupidity. We debate transit projects that make too much sense, so much so that in the end we end up with subway extensions which: a) take people to the middle of nowhere, or b) are the equivalent of burning huge sums money in a bonfire.

Add to the fact that we have voters who are completely clueless about affairs in the city and province, and the end result is the jammed up platforms we see everyday.

I will add c) worsen crowding on the existing system.

AoD

Line 1 is just too long. Should have been split when they renovated Union Station into proper terminal stations (plural).
Vaughan should have been built with an impenetrable wall in the tail tracks that would cost billions just to cut through to prevent dummy politicians from extending the line further. Richmond Hill should have this feature in the future as well.

People think I joke when I say this, but trust me i'm very serious about the idea.

But hey, while you won't be able to hear the PA announcing what the issue is while you asphyxiate, you'd bet your *** that you can hear those TTC safety messages pontificating aloud. There is a certain not so funny hilarity to that.

It isn't just a matter of austerity budget - but also how capital spending is allocated. Subway to Vaughan doesn't resolve any pressing transit issue - DRL does. And guess which one happened first?

AoD

A lot of the problem can be solved very cheaply. Not an expensive 10 year fix (although it may be needed). Just use (1) the PA system (2) the TV sets and (3) the TTC website. Put information on them that can be used to make an informed decision.

If on Line 2 they said they are not stopping at St George nor Bloor the people on the west can use Kipling GO, UPX, 504, 510, etc. In the east can use Kennedy GO, Main GO, 504, 505, 506, 75, etc. Spreading some of the capacity constraint out among many lines would make it slightly more bearable.

But they would rather tell people about signal problems in the east. And not that the main transfer points were shut down.

So someone explain to me how the heck Eglinton Station is going to handle the crush load of Bloor-Yonge, especially on days like this morning, with a shared central platform that is 1/3 the size of Bloor-Yonge's platform?????

Once Crosstown opens, I really don't think I could be bothered with the Yonge line at rush hour anymore. Eglinton has no more capacity and it is going to get worse thanks to York Region. I'm just going to stay on the train to Eglinton West.

Oh but look, our fearless leader and his lieutenants think Smarttrack will deliver us from this scourge! (well, ATC and "incentives" for riding off peak" anyways, since that former point is already scratched).

AoD

And some people wonder why I'm hard on John Tory? When everything from transportation to public services is at a crisis point thanks to years of austerity budgets, I have zero patience for any politicians who offer little in the way of actual solutions to problems they helped create in the first place.

So someone explain to me how the heck Eglinton Station is going to handle the crush load of Bloor-Yonge, especially on days like this morning, with a shared central platform that is 1/3 the size of Bloor-Yonge's platform?????

Once Crosstown opens, I really don't think I could be bothered with the Yonge line at rush hour anymore. Eglinton has no more capacity and it is going to get worse thanks to York Region. I'm just going to stay on the train to Eglinton West.

Will the standing room on the platform be widened at all when it’s shifted south?

Transfer demand at Eglinton should be about a quarter the demand at Bloor, however the Eglinton Station platforms are already very crowded as is.

A lot of the problem can be solved very cheaply. Not an expensive 10 year fix (although it may be needed). Just use (1) the PA system (2) the TV sets and (3) the TTC website. Put information on them that can be used to make an informed decision.

If on Line 2 they said they are not stopping at St George nor Bloor the people on the west can use Kipling GO, UPX, 504, 510, etc. In the east can use Kennedy GO, Main GO, 504, 505, 506, 75, etc. Spreading some of the capacity constraint out among many lines would make it slightly more bearable.

But they would rather tell people about signal problems in the east. And not that the main transfer points were shut down.
Good idea. And we need full system maps, including GO, Streetcars and buses in subway stations, not just the pathetic, embarrassing, two-line subway map.

And some people wonder why I'm hard on John Tory? When everything from transportation to public services is at a crisis point thanks to years of austerity budgets, I have zero patience for any politicians who offer little in the way of actual solutions to problems they helped create in the first place.

So am I, but this is a battle - not worth losing the war over (which is arguably far worse). What's needed is a rebalance of power in council that will force Tory's hand accordingly.

AoD

As much merit as there is and it should be implemented - what you have suggested is a crisis management solution - not a network weakness solution. The rest of the system will be ill equipped to deal with the loss of that amount of capacity.

AoD

Will the standing room on the platform be widened at all when it’s shifted south?

Transfer demand at Eglinton should be about a quarter the demand at Bloor, however the Eglinton Station platforms are already very crowded as is.
No. The Eglinton platform they are moving to is an extension of the original structure they built in 1954.

It is going to be the same size as present. It will have better passenger flow with the Crosstown and surrounding area, rather than re-creating a Bloor-Yonge esque choke point, but the platform width isn't changing.

Back