News   Jul 15, 2024
 743     3 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 899     1 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 631     0 

TTC: Other Items (catch all)

And some people wonder why I'm hard on John Tory? When everything from transportation to public services is at a crisis point thanks to years of austerity budgets, I have zero patience for any politicians who offer little in the way of actual solutions to problems they helped create in the first place.
Thanks but no thanks.

The alternative to Tory is Doug, in 2014 and 2018.

No. The Eglinton platform they are moving to is an extension of the original structure they built in 1954.

It is going to be the same size as present. It will have better passenger flow with the Crosstown and surrounding area, rather than re-creating a Bloor-Yonge esque choke point, but the platform width isn't changing.
Yet the initial plans for the Queen and Osgoode Relief Line stations try to recreate Bloor-Yonge rather than the new Eglinton[-Yonge]. Just because City Hall needs 2 subway stations.

I think that's exactly what they are waiting for. But it's ok we have a one-stop subway express to Scarborough that will create the longest subway tunnel in world that will help us.

Politicians in this city and province never cease to amaze me with their level of sheer stupidity. We debate transit projects that make too much sense, so much so that in the end we end up with subway extensions which: a) take people to the middle of nowhere, or b) are the equivalent of burning huge sums money in a bonfire.

Add to the fact that we have voters who are completely clueless about affairs in the city and province, and the end result is the jammed up platforms we see everyday.

I recall a press conference where Karen Stintz at the time was trying to justify the 3-stop Scarborough subway. When questioned about the issue of subway capacity at Yonge & Bloor without the relief line in place, she wasn't concerned about that because the Scarborough subway will create even more demand for the relief line, hence making its future existence even more inevitable. Yay!

I recall a press conference where Karen Stintz at the time was trying to justify the 3-stop Scarborough subway. When questioned about the issue of subway capacity at Yonge & Bloor without the relief line in place, she wasn't concerned about that because the Scarborough subway will create even more demand for the relief line, hence making its future existence even more inevitable. Yay!
You will be happy to know that her opinion hasnt changed in all these years either:

https://www.thestar.com/opinion/con...the-right-decision-says-former-ttc-chair.html

Thanks but no thanks.

The alternative to Tory is Doug, in 2014 and 2018.

We don't know who all the candidates will be, seen any reliable poll numbers for said candidates, or factored in the outcome of the PC leadership race & provincial elections. While the prospects are as hopeless as its always been, it's a little premature to be coming to sweeping conclusions today.

We don't know who all the candidates will be, seen any reliable poll numbers for said candidates, or factored in the outcome of the PC leadership race & provincial elections.

Which makes it all the more dangerous.

Yup, only on legacy.

She has a legacy??

AoD

Last edited:
Looks like the morning rush was a complete and utter disaster on Line 1 - the level of overcrowding is definitely at a level I would call unsafe without *any* hesitation. John Tory need to stop f****ng around the issue and accelerate DRL with all the urgency one can (and even cannot) muster.

Seems like nobody pointed this out yet, but today's mess was because a woman passed out on the subway between St. George and Museum. The train had to wait at Museum for EMS to respond, and it happened at the worst possible time. The alternative of turning back trains at St. George and Union would've been equally catastrophic.

No transit investment will prevent this sort of thing from happening. Whenever the DRL is built it'll be three extremely busy subways instead of two, and worst-time/worst-place emergencies are still going to screw up the entire system and create dangerous overcrowding. That's the reality of life in a big city.

Don't stop the line for extended period of time just to accommodate EMS response.

So what do we do instead? Have random people drag a passed-out woman off the train and then let the subway train keep running? That sounds like a great idea for somewhere like Brazil or China.

None of us can speculate on what a "more appropriate" response would be. Crap happens once in a while, and no amount of investment can solve that problem. We can avoid things like track-level injuries, but we can't get rid of subway crowding (this is the induced demand thing that everyone loves to talk about in certain threads) or people's medical emergencies.

During my commute this morning, during my attempted transfer at St. George, crowds were backed up to the edge of the platform at a standstill DOWNSTAIRS, unable to make it up to the Line 1 platform. I felt especially bad for anyone just trying to get outside - no luck for them either in that crowd.

I was there a little later and was good at squeezing through so was only stuck there for about 20 minutes - seemed like others were stuck a fair bit longer.

I'm glad today's morning commute is being discussed. It really does show how little redundancy our network has.

And yet the TTC could have easily told passengers on Line 2 that they should use Spadina instead of St George to transfer to Line 1, especially if going northbound. That is the ONE point of redundancy in the system, and it was not used. (At least not when I transferred at 9am)

Back