News   Jul 15, 2024
 747     3 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 905     1 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 634     0 

TTC: Other Items (catch all)

And yet the TTC could have easily told passengers on Line 2 that they should use Spadina instead of St George to transfer to Line 1, especially if going northbound. That is the ONE point of redundancy in the system, and it was not used. (At least not when I transferred at 9am)

If people actually did this it would work, but in reality most people would just ignore the messages. People really don't like breaking their commuting habits, and a polite announcement isn't going to make people do that.

So what do we do instead? Have random people drag a passed-out woman off the train and then let the subway train keep running? That sounds like a great idea for somewhere like Brazil or China.

Could a couple of TTC employees with basic first aid training and a stretcher have moved her out to the platform, safe and sound, where there is better ventilation?

So what do we do instead? Have random people drag a passed-out woman off the train and then let the subway train keep running? That sounds like a great idea for somewhere like Brazil or China.

Doesn't have to be that draconian - there is a big gap between not caring and stopping everything during rush. Like proceeding until a certain station when EMS can catch up. It requires forethought and planning, instead of slavish devotion to simple policies that just cannot balance the level of disruption against the value of one passenger.

None of us can speculate on what a "more appropriate" response would be. Crap happens once in a while, and no amount of investment can solve that problem. We can avoid things like track-level injuries, but we can't get rid of subway crowding (this is the induced demand thing that everyone loves to talk about in certain threads) or people's medical emergencies.

Yes we can - the system is underbuilt, have a lack of redundancy in the core area and have serious deficiencies in terms of safety. There are not unknowns. But apparently we pay more attention to a 5 minute transfer than to deal with these issues.

AoD

If people actually did this it would work, but in reality most people would just ignore the messages. People really don't like breaking their commuting habits, and a polite announcement isn't going to make people do that.
If an announcement had mentioned the crowding levels, I'm sure some people would have followed the advice. I certainly would have.

Could a couple of TTC employees with basic first aid training and a stretcher have moved her out to the platform, safe and sound, where there is better ventilation?

This is usually what happens. There's obviously some reason why it was an inappropriate response here, and I doubt anyone commenting here knows that that reason it.

Doesn't have to be that draconian - there is a big gap between not caring and stopping everything during rush. Like proceeding until a certain station when EMS can catch up.

Having a train keep going while a medical emergency is happening on it is incredibly stupid and dangerous.

Having a train keep going while a medical emergency is happening on it is incredibly stupid and dangerous.

Any more stupid than today's mess? You have a situation that not only disrupted the commute of 10K+ passengers - you also created a life-safety issue for a good number of said passengers through crowding.

AoD

And yet the TTC could have easily told passengers on Line 2 that they should use Spadina instead of St George to transfer to Line 1, especially if going northbound. That is the ONE point of redundancy in the system, and it was not used. (At least not when I transferred at 9am)

If people actually did this it would work...

Reality says otherwise...

upload_2018-1-30_13-1-39.png

https://twitter.com/fysl/status/958349778454183936

upload_2018-1-30_13-6-26.png

https://twitter.com/VirveAljas/status/958341242240237568

Attachments

• upload_2018-1-30_13-1-39.png
    upload_2018-1-30_13-1-39.png
    962.3 KB · Views: 355
  • upload_2018-1-30_13-6-26.png
    upload_2018-1-30_13-6-26.png
    698.1 KB · Views: 374
So someone explain to me how the heck Eglinton Station is going to handle the crush load of Bloor-Yonge, especially on days like this morning, with a shared central platform that is 1/3 the size of Bloor-Yonge's platform?????

Once Crosstown opens, I really don't think I could be bothered with the Yonge line at rush hour anymore. Eglinton has no more capacity and it is going to get worse thanks to York Region. I'm just going to stay on the train to Eglinton West.

Will the standing room on the platform be widened at all when it’s shifted south?

Transfer demand at Eglinton should be about a quarter the demand at Bloor, however the Eglinton Station platforms are already very crowded as is.

No. The Eglinton platform they are moving to is an extension of the original structure they built in 1954.

It is going to be the same size as present. It will have better passenger flow with the Crosstown and surrounding area, rather than re-creating a Bloor-Yonge esque choke point, but the platform width isn't changing.

Time to whip out the... Spanish Solution :cool:

Besides investing in capacity, maybe we can move employment out to other growth centres so not every one has to commute to work downtown...

Tried and failed in the Metroplan of the 70s/80s - besides, the last time when it gets decentralized, it didn't decentralize to the centres - it decentralized into sprawl that is anything but transit serviceable.

AoD

Reality says otherwise...

People responded to an announcement that never happened? Obviously not.

What actually happened is that trains bypassed St. George when the crowding there got bad, so people weren't given the choice at all - they were forced to use Spadina.

Back