News   Jul 15, 2024
 795     3 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 932     1 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 644     0 

TTC: Other Items (catch all)

Very excited for this. I know It'll cut my household's car trips.. Often when we go out for dinner in a different part of the city we drive since it's cheaper to park for $6-$10 than it is for two people to take the TTC both ways ($12). if its only going to be $6 to make that trip, we'll take the TTC, especially if it means we have more than 1 drink.
Your dinners last less than 2 hours? INCLUDING TRAVEL ?!?:eek:

Your dinners last less than 2 hours? INCLUDING TRAVEL ?!?:eek:
all you need is subway re-entry in under 2 hours. And yes, typically it's a little over an hour if you have a reservation..

Get on the subway at 6:45, get to the restaurant at 7, eat to 8:15-8:30, get back on the subway at 8:35.. still a valid transfer

The City has built a shopping mall from surplus TTC lands

City of Toronto builds its first shopping mall

This Reddit comment echos my thoughts exactly:

The sad part is they’re still trying to sell it off. If Toronto just kept some of these properties, the TTC can begin to be more self sufficient again similar to Hong Kong’s MTR which is profitable in large part because it owns the properties over its stations.

Also the fund from these unused TTC lands Should also be earmarked for the TTC to help improve operations, I don’t think they are in Toronto

We're about to build a Relief Line Station in East Harbour. Imagine how much money the TTC could make if they redeveloped the station lands into a shopping mall, rather than wasting the land on external station structures, and letting the private sector keep the potential profits to themselves.

CF has invested $1 Billion in the Toronto Eaton Centre since 2010. We don't know how much revenue they expect to make, but since CF isn't in the business to lose money, we can be pretty sure they expect revenue of more than $1 Billion over a reasonable timeframe. This could be a very lucrative source of revenue for the TTC, if the City allowed them to venture into this business, as Hong Kong's MTR has.

Huge waste of land if you ask me. The part in the article talking about it being a part of a "complete community" is laughable. It's your standard suburban strip mall with some better than average landscaping work. It was far more useful to the city as a whole acting as a parking lot for Wilson subway station. If they really wanted to find highest and best use, it would probably have been structured parking to replace the all the other lots closing in the area. There will soon be no parking available for the subway from the 401, both at Wilson and Yorkdale.. Even a 2 or 3 level garage here would have made a huge difference and would likely have made money given that it is paid parking. residential or significant density isn't possible because of the airport and contaminated lands.. but that doesn't mean a freaking strip mall is the best use.

There will soon be no parking available for the subway from the 401, both at Wilson and Yorkdale.

Can you cite a source on that? Yorkdale's commuter parking reopened just a few months ago after a very long closure, it's now in their newest, massive parking garage. I can't imagine why they'd get rid of it.

From the report:

-A one-time operating contribution to capital of up to $5 million to pay for required changes to PRESTO’s systems. This is based on an interim estimate provided to the TTC by Metrolinx. The final amount is subject to interpretation of the TTC-Metrolinx Master Agreement and potential negotiation.

WHAT?!? Presto has time-based transfers on ~10 other systems. What additional work could possibly be required to simply apply the existing time-based transfer to the TTC?

From the report:

-A one-time operating contribution to capital of up to $5 million to pay for required changes to PRESTO’s systems. This is based on an interim estimate provided to the TTC by Metrolinx. The final amount is subject to interpretation of the TTC-Metrolinx Master Agreement and potential negotiation.

WHAT?!? Presto has time-based transfers on ~10 other systems. What additional work could possibly be required to simply apply the existing time-based transfer to the TTC?

Likely barely any work at all, but I'm sure the presto vendor is going to hose the TTC and Metrolinx to make this change, since the capability was not part of the base contract, and it should've been. The TTC should've had the foresight to have this capability built in to the original contract, but since they did not the company will charge them full freight as if it was a new option that needs to be designed from scratch.

Likely barely any work at all, but I'm sure the presto vendor is going to hose the TTC and Metrolinx to make this change, since the capability was not part of the base contract, and it should've been. The TTC should've had the foresight to have this capability built in to the original contract, but since they did not the company will charge them full freight as if it was a new option that needs to be designed from scratch.
You think TTC is getting hose??? TTC and everyone who use the system is getting royally rip off with the help of Metrolinx who makes a profit off "ALL"the fare it collected. Any change require by a system, nice bill by Metrolinx with a markup on it for themselves.

It was known back in 2007 there was a better system out there, but went this route to make money for themselves.

Burlington already had a smart better than this crap, but was scrap.

I realize transit is horrid in Toronto, but this is the absolute last thing we need. Once Brown gets his hands on the TTC, he'll hack an slash their budget to a level we've never seen before in order to pay for his middle class tax cuts.

It sounds like the same old "provide capital costs, and reduce operating costs" which we've seen before with the Conservatives.

Don't forget they will also likely fill in the Eglinton LRT tunnels and cancel the project right away. SUBWAYS!!!!!!!!

I’m cautiously optimistic. Toronto’s subway network has ceased to be Toronto’s subway network. It reaches into Vaughan. It should reach into Mississauga. It should really integrate with GO.

That’s said, I’m not sure if the TTC could survive on bus and streetcar revenue alone. Also, how would fare harmonization work? Would riders pay more to use the subway in addition to a streetcar or bus?

There are a lot of questions to answer but I hope that this pushes the Liberals to take ownership of our subway expansion and maintenance, if not take over control.

I’m looking forward to a provincial election fought over transit. I’ve been waiting for transit to become an election issue for over a decade.

I’m cautiously optimistic. Toronto’s subway network has ceased to be Toronto’s subway network. It reaches into Vaughan

There are a whopping two whole stations outside of Toronto. This hardly demands a governance change.

What benefit would uploading the subways to the province bring? I struggle to think of any. And more importantly, are the any benefits that couldn’t already be achieved within the current governance framework, through better funding and other initiatives?

On the other hand, this move brings an enormous risk for the hundreds of millions of bus and streetcar commuters that will very likely face degraded transit quality due to the uploading of the subways.

I’m not willing to compromise the integrity of the TTC service because two stations happen to be outside of Toronto.

Back