News   Jul 03, 2024
 158     0 
News   Jul 02, 2024
 975     0 
News   Jul 02, 2024
 2.5K     0 

TTC: Other Items (catch all)

As a guy who rode TDH-5301's in the day..... today's LF buses are lousy at standee capacity and passenger flow. Nobody will mount the stairs and stand in the rear area. The "low floor" zone is generally well utilised. As noted, nobody is going to push all the way through to the rear to take up space there. I am always impressed when someone tries.

People don't move back much in ALRV's and CLRV's, but maybe the seat arrangement discourages that. Put transverse seating behind the rear doors, similar to the old Fishbowls, and that might change. There's a reason why TTC went to those sideways bench seats in the fishbowls in later orders.

- Paul

People don't move back much in ALRV's and CLRV's, but maybe the seat arrangement discourages that. Put transverse seating behind the rear doors, similar to the old Fishbowls, and that might change. There's a reason why TTC went to those sideways bench seats in the fishbowls in later orders.

That is what I was getting at in an earlier post. People do not want to sit somewhere they will be blocked in so they tend to stand near a door. It's why I sit next to the door on the subway if I am only going a few stops. Easier than sitting in the forward facing seats and getting blocked in.

That is the problem on the current fleet of vehicles. The upper level of seating in the rear is so tight that you cannot get out if people are standing there so they do not move back there.

I challenge anyone who has been on a fully loaded shuttle to say they got off from the rear of a bus without any issues.

That is what I was getting at in an earlier post. People do not want to sit somewhere they will be blocked in so they tend to stand near a door. It's why I sit next to the door on the subway if I am only going a few stops. Easier than sitting in the forward facing seats and getting blocked in.

That is the problem on the current fleet of vehicles. The upper level of seating in the rear is so tight that you cannot get out if people are standing there so they do not move back there.

I challenge anyone who has been on a fully loaded shuttle to say they got off from the rear of a bus without any issues.
This is the problem with TTC management's thinking and logic. Every 3-4 years they make a stupid decision with the seating arrangements in new vehicles, only to realize they've made a mistake halfway through and they have to correct it. The problem with that is, by the time they finally clue in there are hundreds of vehicles in the fleet with seating issues which cause passenger flow issues. They did it 15 years ago with the first 2nd batch of low floor buses arriving, they did it 5 years ago with the Flexity* streetcars, and they did it 2 years ago with another batch of low floor buses.

*I put the Flexity in asterisks since there hasnt been a succesvie order yet but rest assured if there is, there will most likely be some form of revised seating on any newer model to makeup for mistakes with the current batch.

*I put the Flexity in asterisks since there hasnt been a succesvie order yet but rest assured if there is, there will most likely be some form of revised seating on any newer model to makeup for mistakes with the current batch.

What do you see wrong with the current seating layout on Flexities?

ttcfares.JPG

Attachments

• ttcfares.JPG
    ttcfares.JPG
    68 KB · Views: 364

Using the TTC trip planner, from Long Branch Loop to West Hill Collegiate Institute, it would take 2 hours 3 minutes to 2 hours 18 minutes. Therefore, even the 2-hour timed transfer may not be enough, should there be accidents, detours, construction, congestion, or other incidents along the way. No way should the timed-transfers be 90 minutes.

Also in The Star, at this link.

Mayor John Tory, councillors urge TTC to introduce time-based transfers

In an open letter to TTC CEO Andy Byford released Thursday morning, Tory and TTC Chair Josh Colle asked that TTC riders could enjoy multiple transit trips on a single fare.

Good idea to offer a 2 hour transfer on PRESTO only. The cost to implement is far far lower (14% use PRESTO) and it’ll increase PRESTO adoption which in turn increases ridership which itself will offset the cost of the 2 hour transfer by the time all regular riders move to PRESTO. I think that this is a no brainer.

Using the TTC trip planner, from Long Branch Loop to West Hill Collegiate Institute, it would take 2 hours 3 minutes to 2 hours 18 minutes. Therefore, even the 2-hour timed transfer may not be enough, should there be accidents, detours, construction, congestion, or other incidents along the way. No way should the timed-transfers be 90 minutes.
You'd tap on your last bus well before the 2 hour mark, so I don't see an issue here.

What do you see wrong with the current seating layout on Flexities?
There are 2 major issues I see:

1. The 2+2 seats which face each other are way to close to each other, which means that essentially people who are under something like 5'5" are the only people who would be able to sit in those seats if more than 2 of those seats are occupied. For anyone over that height, those seats are essentially useless unless they are all unoccupied.

2.There are serious passenger flow issues when these streetcars are full due to these exact 2+2 seats. People who are trying to access the fare machines or even get off the streetcars have serious issues reaching the doors.

Back