News   Jul 03, 2024
 86     0 
News   Jul 02, 2024
 777     0 
News   Jul 02, 2024
 2.3K     0 

TTC: Other Items (catch all)

They can't. The LRT doesn't have anywhere near the capacity to do that, and neither does the Spadina line. Even an army of shuttle buses would barely have the capacity to do it.

They would do a combination of shuttle buses and the Eglinton/Spadina option.

I assume they're doing something, otherwise it would make no sense to extend all these shutdowns south to St. Clair. The trains have to go nearly all the way up to Davisville in any case to turn around, since there's no crossover at St. Clair.

There is a crossover at St. Clair, immediately south of the platforms. It's not tied into the signal system however, and won't be until the ATC/ATO is installed.

That said, they could use it as they did the unsignalized King crossover earlier this year.

And for the record, the reason why they don't extend the subway service to Davisville is because they are concerned with the small bus terminal located there, and having it get easily overwhelmed by the crowds using the shuttles. The trains themselves were turning in the Davisville build-up, on the third platform.

I am talking about fixing the Davisville track, which the TTC has stated can't be done over the weekned.

Someone above asked if they were fixing the Davisville track, and I said no, because it cant be done over the weekend.

https://www.thestar.com/news/gta/tr..._to_close_yonge_subway_for_2month_repair.html

It can't be done over A weekend. It will take some time to do it, which may involve multiple weekends.

But considering that they still don't know exactly how they are going to fix the area, don't you think that it's a bit premature to state unequivocally that they will have to shut down the line for two weeks straight?

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

And for the record, the reason why they don't extend the subway service to Davisville is because they are concerned with the small bus terminal located there, and having it get easily overwhelmed by the crowds using the shuttles.

This doesn't add up. The Davisville bus platform is about as long as the one at St Clair - 100 meters. It also has the huge benefit of no left turn across Yonge - buses would turn right into the bus terminal, then left from Chaplin onto Yonge.

This doesn't add up. The Davisville bus platform is about as long as the one at St Clair - 100 meters. It also has the huge benefit of no left turn across Yonge - buses would turn right into the bus terminal, then left from Chaplin onto Yonge.

One thing to consider as well is the size of the bus terminal at Davisville. It is small with only one stairwell for the busses at the far end and one leading to the mezzanine area, the crowds would be impossible to handle at Davisville. St Clair can much more easily handle the people making it the logical terminal.

Anyone who has ever been on a turnback train at Woodbine knows exactly what I am talking about. You need to keep in mind that the TTC constructed the turnbacks with practicality not maintenance in mind. Places like Jane and Broadview are not equipped to handle large crowds but they were designed to be a turnback point in the event of catastrophic bridge failure. The same goes for Davisville. It can be used as a turnback point BUT it was designed to provide yard access.

The same thinking applies to Bloor turnbacks. Buses coming in from the south turn around at Rosedale station but given the stations capacity issues they do not advertise this.

One thing to consider as well is the size of the bus terminal at Davisville. It is small with only one stairwell for the busses at the far end and one leading to the mezzanine area, the crowds would be impossible to handle at Davisville. St Clair can much more easily handle the people making it the logical terminal.
The Davisville bus terminal also has an up-escalator at the far end.

Have you ever actually been on either bus platform?

Because judging from your comments, you've never actually witnessed either one. There is a VAST difference in size between the two facilities.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

Reactions: DSC
There is a crossover at St. Clair, immediately south of the platforms. It's not tied into the signal system however, and won't be until the ATC/ATO is installed.

That said, they could use it as they did the unsignalized King crossover earlier this year.

And for the record, the reason why they don't extend the subway service to Davisville is because they are concerned with the small bus terminal located there, and having it get easily overwhelmed by the crowds using the shuttles. The trains themselves were turning in the Davisville build-up, on the third platform.

It can't be done over A weekend. It will take some time to do it, which may involve multiple weekends.

But considering that they still don't know exactly how they are going to fix the area, don't you think that it's a bit premature to state unequivocally that they will have to shut down the line for two weeks straight?

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

Dan. Read what I am saying before you reply. The Toronto Library offers literacy courses if you need some, for free. I used to tutor there, you can sign up online.

I just said that it cannot be done over a weekend. can NOT. I did not say it could. Never once. My entire original post was how NO work will be done for the Davisville track repair on any of these new weekend closes because it can NOT be done on the weekend. I've removed all contractions and capitalized all negatives for you.

Secondly, its the TTC that is saying it will take 2 MONTHS straight. Not me. Its unequivocal. A study was done and that is the only way. Read the article I posted.

Let me know if I need to make anything clearer for you.

Dan. Read what I am saying before you reply. The Toronto Library offers literacy courses if you need some, for free. I used to tutor there, you can sign up online.

I just said that it cannot be done over a weekend. can NOT. I did not say it could. Never once. My entire original post was how NO work will be done for the Davisville track repair on any of these new weekend closes because it can NOT be done on the weekend. I've removed all contractions and capitalized all negatives for you.

Secondly, its the TTC that is saying it will take 2 MONTHS straight. Not me. Its unequivocal. A study was done and that is the only way. Read the article I posted.

Let me know if I need to make anything clearer for you.

Oh, I'm quite capable of reading. And comprehension, even.

For instance, I read the date on that article - November 15, 2013. I don't know how strong your math skills are, but according to mine that would date it to just about 4 years ago now.

And the previous article that was linked in that one - dated October 4, 2013 - stated that the TTC did not want to close the line for 2 months. We can both agree on that, I think.

My point is this: there's no point in trying to assign some arbitrary amount of time - 2 hours, 2 days, 2 weeks, 2 months, whatever - for the TTC to implement fix when the TTC themselves aren't certain how long it will take. As far as I know, they are still throwing around ideas about how to fix that section of the line - and one of the ideas only required a couple of 1-day or weekend closures. Another idea that was thrown out and discarded long ago was the 2 month straight closure.

To bring it back to comprehension, you said that they wouldn't be fixing the track during any of the stoppages next year because the work can't be done in a weekend. While you are correct that the work (as a whole) can't be done in a weekend, we don't know that they won't be fixing the track because we don't know (yet) what kind of work they will be planning on doing along that stretch.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

Back