News   Jun 25, 2024
 1.3K     1 
News   Jun 25, 2024
 1K     0 
News   Jun 25, 2024
 1.7K     3 

TTC: Other Items (catch all)

I think the reasoning is that only driverless trains (i.e. computers) will be able to line the train doors up with the platform ones. Frankly, though driverless trains and platform doors both have advantages I think the TTC has FAR larger and more urgent things to worry about.
Which is why - rightly - platform edge doors is well down the list of important things to get done.

With the possible exception of Bloor/Yonge and St. George for safety reasons except that the flex capacity to do the work does not exist because there are no alternate nodes.

Effin' crazy. Bring on RL with (at least) two more nodes to begin.

Given the fact that the City first refused to release the report, then released a heavily-redacted version when compelled by FOI, the only possible conclusion is that the case for SSE and SmartTrack is unsupported by evidence or analysis. Apparently the City missed redacting the part that says the Eglinton East extension will make things worse. Helluva way to run a city.

That section of the act says a government can refuse to disclose advice or recommendations from an employee or a hired consultant — except in some circumstances, including if the records contain “factual material.”
Or alternate facts...

AaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaLLl.............Love the Sun anti-transit and streetcar view. What would Toronto look like today if the streetcars had disappear in the 70's???

Toronto needs a war on the streetcar

AaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaLLl.............Love the Sun anti-transit and streetcar view. What would Toronto look like today if the streetcars had disappear in the 70's???

I kinda agree. We could do with a war on the streetcar in mixed traffic. Of course, I envision that war resulting in numerous transit malls through downtown with much larger multiple unit LRVs running through them.

Why stop at streetcars? How about a war on people? Pedestrians have a lot of nerve thinking they can hold up traffic with *sidewalks*. All that concrete should be given back to cars!

I wonder what would it be like if we sent these clowns to Melbourne.... hopefully they would have a meltodwn and have to locked up in the Psych ward (permanently..)

I wonder what would it be like if we sent these clowns to Melbourne.... hopefully they would have a meltodwn and have to locked up in the Psych ward (permanently..)
They'd be yelling "Lefties" at all the Aussies since they drive on the 'wrong' side of the street...Melbourne, of course, has the largest 'tram' network in the world. And is considered by many surveys to be the best major city in the world to live.

If these lefties anti-streetcar folks take time to visit Nice France, Amsterdam, Prague just to name a few places, they will find a wide range how everything can work as a full package to pedestrians transit malls. I can only speak for places I have seen them, but other can speak up on other places they have seen first hand.

If Toronto had removed streetcars in the 70's, would it be #1 city in Canada today or #2?? Would the redevelopment of the Waterfront happen, let alone other places in the City?? Where would TTC be system wide for service and ridership?? Would the Queen Subway be built now because of the traffic gridlock the city would sooner than later by going to bus replacement for streetcars??

How many buses would TTC need to service 60,000 riders a day?? Math said you need 700 buses and 3-4 new bus garages, as well 3,000 more employees to go full bus replacement, if King St every got close to what it sees today.

If other cities can remove park cars lanes and turn them into traffic lanes only, maintain the existing tracks for only transit by using paint markings, why can't we??

How many buses would TTC need to service 60,000 riders a day?? Math said you need 700 buses and 3-4 new bus garages

What!!?! The TTC has around 1,900 buses and serves nearly 2 million passengers on a typical weekday.

The actual math is that you'd need to replace the capacity of the current 37 CLRVs and 11 buses on the 504, plus the 514's 10 CLRVs during the morning peak hours (numbers from this document). By the TTC's service standards, you need 3 buses for every 2 CLRVs. At crush load, you need two buses for each CLRV. So at most, that's an additional 94 buses during rush hour. Not 700.

What!!?! The TTC has around 1,900 buses and serves nearly 2 million passengers on a typical weekday.

The actual math is that you'd need to replace the capacity of the current 37 CLRVs and 11 buses on the 504, plus the 514's 10 CLRVs during the morning peak hours (numbers from this document). By the TTC's service standards, you need 3 buses for every 2 CLRVs. At crush load, you need two buses for each CLRV. So at most, that's an additional 94 buses during rush hour. Not 700.
Plus spares!

Sometimes I wonder about Drum118's numbers. 700 buses is need for the entire streetcar system, not the 504. The entire system is at 300,000 riders, not 60,000. The actually number TTC gives is 64,000 for the 504 in 2014. It's probably closer to 70,000 if TTC can operate that much service.

The TTC Streetcar routes that are in mixed traffic should be done away with. Either make those streets transit malls, or grade separate them. Cars should not be able to block a streetcar. I can understand why people would want to get rid of them.

Back