News   Jun 14, 2024
 2.4K     1 
News   Jun 14, 2024
 1.7K     1 
News   Jun 14, 2024
 845     0 

TTC: Other Items (catch all)

But wasnt that the whole point of the ROW? To bring more RELIABLE and FASTER service? Ridership growth as you mentioned wouldve been inevitable. IMO they did accomplish their main goal as I mentioned earlier. Ridership increases are just
a bonus

The 8 minutes faster is a misnomer as well. Prior to the grade separation the biggest delay was under the tracks at Old Weston Rd/Keele. Probably 5 minutes extra wait time for this small stretch at the end of the route. It's back a ways so i'm trying to scratch my head thinking of my old trips.

Basically only a small fraction of the riders actually had a longer travel time. Most riders are off the service before Old Weston Rd. However, it did lead to huge bunching of cars.

I wonder if Steve Munro has some historical stuff on where the delays were on St Clair.

The 8 minutes faster is a misnomer as well. Prior to the grade separation the biggest delay was under the tracks at Old Weston Rd/Keele. Probably 5 minutes extra wait time for this small stretch at the end of the route. It's back a ways so i'm trying to scratch my head thinking of my old trips.

Basically only a small fraction of the riders actually had a longer travel time. Most riders are off the service before Old Weston Rd. However, it did lead to huge bunching of cars.

I wonder if Steve Munro has some historical stuff on where the delays were on St Clair.

You cannot only look at journey time, you need to look at how long one has to wait to get on a car too. If, as you say, there was bunching on St Clair then, even if the journey on the car itself may have been faster, your JOURNEY time is probably longer (and certainly less predictable). (Steve's analyses on St C are at https://stevemunro.ca/category/transit/service-analysis/st-clair-car/ )

Just to make sure everyone knew, the 8 minutes figure is for the round trip time. So it's only 4 minutes in each direction.

Looking at the fact sheet: http://www.ttc.ca/PDF/Transit_Planning/512_St_Clair_service_in_2005_and_2014.pdf
The biggest improvement is on Saturdays probably due to on street parking. If we just banned on street parking at all times to keep both lanes cleared, improvement would be made at a much cheaper expense. We can also see how service actually doubled on Saturday afternoon.

The St Clair ROW is rather cheap to bring reliability compared to LRT lines. There's not much to oppose the project. The congestion at St Clair/Old Weston Rd is thanks to that railway underpass. That will eventually be replaced with SmartTrack.

That's not how exactly how to do ridership comparison. Systematically, the entire TTC grew 10.7% while the 512 grew 13.7%. The additional increase would be only 3% or ~900 more riders. This doesn't take in account of all the development that is occurring on St Clair. Did the St Clair ROW contribute to the growth is questionable too. Many neighbourhood just outside the core are seeing lots of new development too.

(477,357,000-431,220,000)/431,220,000 = 10.7% (from TTC open data)
(32400-28500)/28500 = 13.7%

In terms of ridership, it doesn't sound like a highly successful project if you ask me. It's just a more reliable service to the current users. Ridership would have grown 10% anyways with this project or there's a major problem with this route.

But wasnt that the whole point of the ROW? To bring more RELIABLE and FASTER service? Ridership growth as you mentioned wouldve been inevitable. IMO they did accomplish their main goal as I mentioned earlier. Ridership increases are just
a bonus

You cannot only look at journey time, you need to look at how long one has to wait to get on a car too. If, as you say, there was bunching on St Clair then, even if the journey on the car itself may have been faster, your JOURNEY time is probably longer (and certainly less predictable). (Steve's analyses on St C are at https://stevemunro.ca/category/transit/service-analysis/st-clair-car/ )

Just to make sure everyone knew, the 8 minutes figure is for the round trip time. So it's only 4 minutes in each direction.

Looking at the fact sheet: http://www.ttc.ca/PDF/Transit_Planning/512_St_Clair_service_in_2005_and_2014.pdf
The biggest improvement is on Saturdays probably due to on street parking. If we just banned on street parking at all times to keep both lanes cleared, improvement would be made at a much cheaper expense. We can also see how service actually doubled on Saturday afternoon.

The St Clair ROW is rather cheap to bring reliability compared to LRT lines. There's not much to oppose the project. The congestion at St Clair/Old Weston Rd is thanks to that railway underpass. That will eventually be replaced with SmartTrack.

Efficiency is not just shown by ridership. It is shown in the shorter trips and the lack of bunching up.

A better metric is schedule adherence. If the route cannot stay on time, it will deter riders. Where as if the schedule can be adhered to, there is a better chance that the current riders will stay and that the route will attract new riders.

ST Clair proved it, Spadina also proved it.

So, again, I will say - All Streetcars should be in their own ROW and not in mixed traffic.

Meanwhile...

From link.

A Toronto woman recently staged a different kind of protest on a TTC subway car after someone wouldn't take their feet off the adjacent seats. In a video posted to Facebook, we see a woman sitting right atop a fellow passenger's feet, presumably by way of teaching him a lesson.

While he repeatedly asks her to stop sitting on him, she responds by saying "I'm trying to explain to you why your feet shouldn't be on the seats." This initial dialogue is followed by a host of expletives (warning: the language is NSFW).

The heated verbal debate continues until the man gets up and pushes her off the chair, at which point the woman presses the yellow emergency strip for assistance.

The video, which runs just over two minutes, gets disturbingly intense at times, although everyone appears to leave the subway car unharmed.

BTW.

TTC By-law No. 1:

3.19 No person shall:
(a) place his or her foot or feet on a vehicle seat or lay thereon any object or substance that may soil it; or
(b) lie down on a bench, seat or floor of any TTC property.

A court Judge just order the reinstatement of TTC Bob Kinnear as president of TTC local 113 of ATU. More to come as release.

Joshua Freeman, CP24.com
Published Tuesday, February 21, 2017 6:36PM EST

A court has reinstated embattled TTC union president Bob Kinnear following a power struggle between the local leader and the parent union.

An Ontario Superior Court of Justice granted Kinnear an injunction over the trusteeship of Amalgamated Transit Union Local 113 on Tuesday.

The move follows a power struggle at the union which came to light on Feb. 03, when Kinnear and all 17 local officers were removed from their roles by the U.S.-based parent union.

At the time, Kinnear said that the local had filed an application with the Canadian Labour Congress that would have enabled members “to make a determination on what union they want to affiliate themselves with.”

Manny Sforza, who had been acting as the temporary trustee of the local union on behalf of ATU, said the move marks “a sad day for all workers in our city.”

“The court’s decision to reinstate Bob Kinnear undermines a long history of union democracy in the province,” Sforza said in the statement.

There was no immediate word from Kinnear on the development.

BTW.

TTC By-law No. 1:

3.19 No person shall:
(a) place his or her foot or feet on a vehicle seat or lay thereon any object or substance that may soil it; or

The fact that it's illegal doesn't make it reasonable for the woman to sit on someone, especially when there was literally an empty seat right beside the guy. She's the transit version of that guy who does 95 in the left lane of the DVP because "it's the fast lane and I'm going faster than the limit."

Single occupant motor vehicles still go first making their left turns, while the streetcars have to wait. Because of underfunding, the TTC doesn't have the money needed to improve the track switches so that streetcars don't have to stop at each and every switch.
can we please put this myth to bed There is no problem with the streetcar switches. They stop at them mainly because they are at intersections and also they need to check it is in the correct direction for the route they are traveling as they have no decided signal except in a few place that tell them it is set correctly. Alos the switches that are set as manual are either not used often or ar trailing switches and don't need to be powered.

can we please put this myth to bed There is no problem with the streetcar switches. They stop at them mainly because they are at intersections and also they need to check it is in the correct direction for the route they are traveling as they have no decided signal except in a few place that tell them it is set correctly. Alos the switches that are set as manual are either not used often or ar trailing switches and don't need to be powered.

It's very interesting then that the TTC has had a long-term unfunded below-the-line budget item for comprehensive switch overhaul. Have you let them know that it's a myth?

Also, regarding manual switches, for many months after the 509 finished reconstruction, the switches at Bathurst and Fleet and Queen's Quay and Spadina were manual--those were used on 100% of vehicle runs and were not trailing. King and Spadina westbound is occasionally manual for days or weeks at a time, and it's heavily used due to 510 King cars turning there, and similarly is not a trailing switch.

Meanwhile...

From link.

BTW.

TTC By-law No. 1:

3.19 No person shall:
Also from the same by-law:

3.25 No person shall cause a disturbance or act contrary to the public peace on TTC property, including but not limited to:

a) urinating, expectorating or defecating, except in facilities specifically intended for such actions;

b) using profane, insulting or obscene language or gestures;

c) behaving in an indecent or offensive manner;

d) shining any type of light at an operator of a TTC vehicle or any other passenger;

e) fighting; or

f) behaving in a manner which would interfere with the ordinary enjoyment of persons using the transit system.

Items 3.25b-c are among the least enforced.

Meanwhile in New York City, the MTA even puts out posters prohibiting hoverboards:

5zferSt.jpg

I have seen some of those posters during my trip to New York City.

The TTC needs to update its by-law to mention hoverboards, as well as putting up similar posters in the TTC as well.

It's very interesting then that the TTC has had a long-term unfunded below-the-line budget item for comprehensive switch overhaul. Have you let them know that it's a myth?

That's an unrelated issue. Streetcars would still have to stop at every intersection and check the switch. This article explains it fairly well:

"TTC officials say it is the driver’s responsibility to check that every switch on the tracks is aligned properly before proceeding, a rule established in 2002 to avoid accidents like yesterday’s."

"The question of which type of switch we use is completely separate from yesterday’s collision, and we shouldn’t get the idea that a massive retrofit will prevent future accidents. Transit City lines will use double-blade switches, and there will likely be a move to gradually retrofit the existing system where practical. However, the special work renewal cycle is about 25 years long, and it will be at least 2035 before every intersection has been rebuilt. In all the discussion about automatic switches, the TTC didn’t mention that the electric switching systems are unreliable and that there is a capital project to completely replace them. "

From this article a few years later:

"The majority of switches, about seventy per cent, are electric and are, you guessed it, switched by the operator from the comfort of the streetcar. The rest are manual, requiring the operator to stop the streetcar ahead of the switch, get out of the car, and manually set the switch in the direction he or she wishes to go.

"Once the operator has made the turn and is at a safe distance from the intersection, the operator then gets out of streetcar—again—and resets the switch to its default position: straight on through, presumably, for the next streetcar.

"Now, occasionally, switches get stuck or don’t respond when the operator attempts to set the switch from the cab. At all switch locations across the city, operators must stop and look to ensure the switch is set correctly. Failing to do so will take you on a route you didn’t anticipate."

Another thing that isn't noted in either article is that the TTC has a lot of reliability issues because the company that manufactures the issues was sold, its headquarters burned down in a fire and the design documents for the switching system were lost in that fire. So the TTC literally just has to figure out how to repair a system without any information aside from the parts they have in stock or installed, and without any support from the OEM.

Last edited:

Back