News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.2K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 1K     1 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 373     0 

TTC: Other Items (catch all)

still one has to wonder where these 700 cars will go....its not like they will suddenly disappear, especially if they are daily commuters.

Most will do as you say (a few will go to Downsview instead, a few will drive downtown, and a few will take the bus). They'll be unhappy for a year then the Spadina extension opens with plenty of new parking opportunities. The idea was right but the timing sucks; they should have closed this lot 1 week after Spadina line opening (1 week transition period).

My preferred mechanism would be for TTC to crank up the rates (cap at 50% of a downtown Green P rate) on lots they no longer want until customers stop using them.

The crazy thing is I believe the "Development" is a low density retail plaza.. hardly worthy of closing a subway lot if you ask me. Its one thing if you put up a high density residential development.. but I think a commuter lot has more utility than a retail lot with a small retail building

The crazy thing is I believe the "Development" is a low density retail plaza.. hardly worthy of closing a subway lot if you ask me. Its one thing if you put up a high density residential development.. but I think a commuter lot has more utility than a retail lot with a small retail building

If that what it is? I take my statement back in that case.

AoD

Most will do as you say (a few will go to Downsview instead, a few will drive downtown, and a few will take the bus). They'll be unhappy for a year then the Spadina extension opens with plenty of new parking opportunities. The idea was right but the timing sucks; they should have closed this lot 1 week after Spadina line opening (1 week transition period).

You would think that someone could figure this out. We really do take riders for granted and we're not that concerned about service. They'll take it anyway because they have to.

Having said that, the extension was to be open NOW until twenty-four months ago. This was planned properly. It's a bugger when things don't unfold according to schedule.

If that what it is? I take my statement back in that case.

AoD

Yep, the TTC lot will be lost to this.
Screen Shot 2017-01-14 at 1.57.41 PM.png

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2017-01-14 at 1.57.41 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2017-01-14 at 1.57.41 PM.png
    934.1 KB · Views: 177
still one has to wonder where these 700 cars will go....its not like they will suddenly disappear, especially if they are daily commuters....i suspect that many will find their way to neighboring commercial car parks and then complaints will rise on
not enough parking and hence the cycle beings again....

Maybe it will convince some of them to take transit.

I think that the only stations that should have parking are the terminus stations and any that are close to a highway. Those parking lots should be garages, not just the open lot.

I think that the only stations that should have parking are the terminus stations and any that are close to a highway.

Wilson is close to not one but two highways. IIRC, the Wilson Heights exit of the Allen Road was built mainly to get people from the 401 into the parking lot at what was then a subway terminus (Downsview was added 20 years later with the expectation of connecting to the Sheppard subway)

Two questions out of curiosity:

1. Why are subway closures mainly scheduled for the summer? Wouldn't it make more sense to schedule them in the winter when (I assume) there's less weekend traffic, since people don't go out as much and fewer tourists visit when it's cold?

2. Why is ATC being enabled on University-Spadina first? Isn't it more urgently needed on Yonge?

When the Line 1 Vaughn extension opens, there will be:

358 parking spaces at Finch West Station (466 passengers or ⅓ of a subway train)

1,850 parking spaces at Pioneer Village Station (2,405 passengers or almost 2 subway trains)

600 parking spaces at 407 Station (780 passengers or more than ½ subway train)​

still one has to wonder where these 700 cars will go.

Either drive to work or find a way to take transit into the station.

It is a subway station - lot closure for development should be considered a norm and celebrated (finally - the area around it is getting densified!) and not be seen as an "inconvenience".

Unfortunately, it's inconvenient for a handful of people who complain the loudest. Now there is a community meeting on Tuesday to address this "crisis".

It's directly under an airport, so there isn't the height available for a high density residential development. The area is however lacking in retail and employment opportunities. On the other side of Allan there will be more substantial residential development to come.

When the Line 1 Vaughn extension opens, there will be:

358 parking spaces at Finch West Station (466 passengers or ⅓ of a subway train)

1,850 parking spaces at Pioneer Village Station (2,405 passengers or almost 2 subway trains)

600 parking spaces at 407 Station (780 passengers or more than ½ subway train)​

I wouldn't use the 1.3 passengers per car figure for subway parking. It's a lot more complicated than measuring a road's usage (where 1.3 people is a valid figure). People carpooling are more likely to drop someone off at the subway than park and both take the subway, and there's also evening parking usage, where people going downtown (sports events, for example) take the spots used by work-day commuters.

Unfortunately, it's inconvenient for a handful of people who complain the loudest. Now there is a community meeting on Tuesday to address this "crisis".

It still isn't a crisis, but replacing the lot with a strip mall development is at best a sideway, not forward development.

AoD

Steve Munro has posted the [TTC Service Changes Effective Sunday, February 12, 2017](https://stevemunro.ca/2017/01/14/ttc-service-changes-effective-sunday-february-12-2017). One interesting thing there is:

511 Bathurst bus operation will be changed so that on weekday peaks and midday half of the service will short turn at King Street. This will reduce the cost of operating the replacement bus service on the streetcar route, and will also reduce the peak bus requirement.

Yikes! When I lived in the area 2012-2016, the 511 Bathurst going Northbound in the AM peak usually had all seats occupied and a few standees once it serviced the Fleet & Bathurst stop, and took on many standees at Fort York and a few at Niagara, and more buildings have opened since then. They’re giving a giant middle finger to a lot of residents in those condos, on top of not operating streetcars.

When people say "oh, the Bombardier delays are no big deal, sure the new cars are nice but we can really wait"--well, this is a great counterpoint.

Steve Munro has posted the [TTC Service Changes Effective Sunday, February 12, 2017](https://stevemunro.ca/2017/01/14/ttc-service-changes-effective-sunday-february-12-2017). One interesting thing there is:

Yikes! When I lived in the area 2012-2016, the 511 Bathurst going Northbound in the AM peak usually had all seats occupied and a few standees once it serviced the Fleet & Bathurst stop, and took on many standees at Fort York and a few at Niagara, and more buildings have opened since then. They’re giving a giant middle finger to a lot of residents in those condos, on top of not operating streetcars.

When people say "oh, the Bombardier delays are no big deal, sure the new cars are nice but we can really wait"--well, this is a great counterpoint.
They ran out of money. Peroid. Thank John Tory for keeping taxes low.

Operators is a big chuck of the cost. With buses carrying lower number of passengers, increases operators costs a fortune. Since this is TTC's problem and not part of a construction project, all additional cost comes from the TTC budget. The city would normally include in the construction budget the additional cost of bus operations. Such as the Humber River bridge over Queensway that forces TTC to run buses instead of streetcars.

No one knows when the 511 would get its streetcars back and the 505 is the next route to get new streetcars.

Back