News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.5K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.2K     1 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 430     0 

TTC: Other Items (catch all)

In a King St. transit mall situation, maybe the current sidewalk/lane config at King/Yonge eastbound, the entrance I'm most familiar with, could be converted using a bumpout to a large canopied combined streetcar shelter and subway entrance.

It's probably possible to canopy just the subway entrance in the current config but this might create issues with the sidewalk (snow sliding/melting off). Even without weather there can be congestion with people going in during PM peak but also coming out to catch 504/514 EB. Absent a push from TTC's insurance handlers this sort of thing will be difficult to pull off given current capital constraints, except maybe with corporate assistance from nearby companies/building owners.

As for the "union" references above. The people being paid the money being complained about by lead82 are human beings that exercised their right to bargain. It is the Commission and Council's responsibility to ensure there are sufficient funds to operate a safe system, in the case of the arcing wiring. muller877 - if you have evidence of the union vetoing heating coils, please provide a reference for same.

It's probably possible to canopy just the subway entrance in the current config but this might create issues with the sidewalk (snow sliding/melting off). Even without weather there can be congestion with people going in during PM peak but also coming out to catch 504/514 EB. Absent a push from TTC's insurance handlers this sort of thing will be difficult to pull off given current capital constraints, except maybe with corporate assistance from nearby companies/building owners.

The canopy can be tilted towards the roadway so that any snow/ice sliding off will not end up on the sidewalk. That, or it can be tilted towards the back of the entrance so that it ends up where no one actually walks into (because there's where the entrance end wall is anyways).

I am not overly sympathetic to the capital argument either - it costs money, for sure, but it can't be more than say, one accessibility elevator (not to mention, legal fees). If the TTC can put up a deluxe LRV maintenance facility - it sure could have afforded a few canopies over the past what, 50+ years since the Yonge line was running should it chose to do so.

AoD

Last edited:
They have canopies in other subways/metros in the world. However, here in Toronto, they'll look for the lowest bidder first.

20060803_la-metro-subway-entrance-canopy-design_-jung-hwan-kim_03.jpg

bowling_green_subway_canopy_1000x665.jpg

3e75046cb4983c4a107168651c66e525.jpg

Abbesses-Art-Nouveau-Metro-entrance.jpg

exp.do

2d13ce96243fba9cc581dc1b52d1c4ad.jpg

Bilbao-Metro.jpg

I am not overly sympathetic to the capital argument either - it costs money, for sure, but it can't be more than say, one accessibility elevator (not to mention, legal fees). If the TTC can put up a deluxe LRV maintenance facility - it sure could have afforded a few canopies over the past what, 50+ years since the Yonge line was running should it chose to do so.
The accessibility elevator is mandated by AODA. The LRV maintenance facility - if the deluxe part is the external walls, that was one of the things offered to the community for them to accept it. Like I said, there are arguments to do canopies from a safety point of view, but there are several such entrances and it requires both TTC staff to identify the issue AND for the Commission to accept it as a priority without seeking to fob off the expense on someone else (e.g. corporate "support").

The accessibility elevator is mandated by AODA. The LRV maintenance facility - if the deluxe part is the external walls, that was one of the things offered to the community for them to accept it. Like I said, there are arguments to do canopies from a safety point of view, but there are several such entrances and it requires both TTC staff to identify the issue AND for the Commission to accept it as a priority without seeking to fob off the expense on someone else (e.g. corporate "support").

Not like the TTC has *any* plans to follow through the AODA requirement for station accessibility beyond a line item. but point taken. re: LRV - not just the external walls - but the design of the facility taken as a whole is certainly a cut above general expectations. As to identifying and accepting it as a priority - that does happen a lot, doesn't it, with precious little show for it?

Those canopies would be useless since the snow would blow in. And the new Union steps on Front St. are slippery too.

Not if they are entrances with doors, plus the slippery steps can be further ameliorated with non-slip tiles once you cut back the amount of precipitation. No one is looking for perfection - but it certainly shouldn't be an argument for doing nothing.

AoD

Not like the TTC has *any* plans to follow through the AODA requirement for station accessibility beyond a line item. but point taken. ...

AoD

See this link for the
Easier Access Program Schedule

The new underground Crosstown LRT stations and the Line 1 extension stations will all be accessible. The last stations on the old lines to be accessible are set for 2025 for Glencairn, Warden, and Islington.

See this link for the
Easier Access Program Schedule

The new underground Crosstown LRT stations and the Line 1 extension stations will all be accessible. The last stations on the old lines to be accessible are set for 2025 for Glencairn, Warden, and Islington.

I know there is a schedule (hence "line item"), I am just not convinced it will be funded to the extent that it will happen (much less happen on time, given TTC's record of timely completion of construction projects).

AoD

I know there is a schedule (hence "line item"), I am just not convinced it will be funded to the extent that it will happen (much less happen on time, given TTC's record of timely completion of construction projects).

AoD

God knows they are not perfect but they do seem to be on track to complete the PRESTO installation by the end of December as promised.

God knows they are not perfect but they do seem to be on track to complete the PRESTO installation by the end of December as promised.

Yeah I have to say in this instance I an fairly impressed at the pace (though slightly annoyed that the most heavily used stations are basically still unconverted).

AoD

Yeah I have to say in this instance I an fairly impressed at the pace (though slightly annoyed that the most heavily used stations are basically still unconverted).

AoD
Well, they actually installed PRESTO readers on the old fare gates in most of the heavily used stations FIRST. This was before they finally decided to install new gates (or at least before they had any to install). Now that the other stations have (almost) all got new gates PLUS PRESTO they will return to the stations with PRESTO but old gates to install new gates.

Now that the other stations have (almost) all got new gates PLUS PRESTO they will return to the stations with PRESTO but old gates to install new gates.

I think they're setting up all the automatic entrances first, and once those are done they're replacing the entrances that already have Presto available on old turnstiles.

Well, they actually installed PRESTO readers on the old fare gates in most of the heavily used stations FIRST. This was before they finally decided to install new gates (or at least before they had any to install). Now that the other stations have (almost) all got new gates PLUS PRESTO they will return to the stations with PRESTO but old gates to install new gates.

Yes - I use two of those stations on a daily basis. The problem is that the current setup is inadequate - with only two readers, one of them left absolutely no margin for malfunctions; the other - with two on each side, did not fare much better either. This doesn't even take into account that there is a constant lineup for said readers at peak.

AoD

Interestingly, it was possible for a few days to watch the Presto construction progress at Coxwell as they notched out the floor etc., but about 2 days ago someone decided to cover the windows with brown paper...

Back