News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.4K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.1K     1 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 406     0 

TTC: Other Items (catch all)

Good point, but it seems to be on all lines (I was on the DLR, the Jubilee and the District lines)

I just spent some time in the UK. The announcements on transit are so superior to ours.

They're fantastic because they are done by professional voice actors and are very informative. "This station is Green Park. Change here for the Piccadilly and Victoria Lines. Exit here for Buckingham Palace.............. This train terminates at Stratford."

One thing that drives me nuts is when the TTC T1 trains play the announcements twice. You already hear each station an excessive 4 times (two on departure, 2 on arrival). Hearing it 8 times is just maddening. When I used to drive on the YUS line I would shut them off and calling them out myself to stop myself from going insane. It happened last weekend on the train I was taking home and I almost got off to wait for the next train o_O

One thing that drives me nuts is when the TTC T1 trains play the announcements twice. You already hear each station an excessive 4 times (two on departure, 2 on arrival). Hearing it 8 times is just maddening.

I herd somewhere that when that happens it means that another car on the train was used as a lead car and it didn't get switched off properly when it was put into a new train

I just spent some time in the UK. The announcements on transit are so superior to ours.
Tfl announcement generally include the name of the service, the termination destination and the next stop. So an equivalent in Toronto would be "This is the 501 Queen service terminating at Neville Park. Next stop is Church." The service/termination are generally only announced at major stops. I agree it is far superior to ours.

Tfl announcement generally include the name of the service, the termination destination and the next stop. So an equivalent in Toronto would be "This is the 501 Queen service terminating at Neville Park. Next stop is Church." The service/termination are generally only announced at major stops. I agree it is far superior to ours.

Some agencies outside of Toronto have such a thing, exterior announcements of routes. I know for sure Brampton and Mississauga have them. ie. "Route 501 Zum Queen Eastbound to York University"
I find Mississauga to be much less specific on that. ie "Route 11 Westwood to Subway"

Last edited:
And you learn how to pronouce Hainault...

Some agencies outside of Toronto have such a thing, exterior announcements of routes. I know for sure Brampton and Mississauga have them. ie. "Route 501 Zum Queen Eastbound to York University"
I find Mississauga to be much less specific on that. ie "Route 11 Westwood to Subway"
Most agencies are going to be doing this, TTC included. One or two buses currently do.

Back