News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.4K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.1K     1 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 407     0 

TTC: Other Items (catch all)

Im pretty sure once 2017 comes they will have a program. YRT did an exchange for old tickets every year back then

Wow ... Haynolt! As a Londoner who grew up partly in Montreal, even I find that jarring (where it would be closer to Hayno). Haven't been east of the Lea much ...

Well, pretty much anything with a French name in the UK is not pronounced or emphasised the French way ... but Hainault is misleading - the spelling is a misattribution and the place has no connection to Hainault (modern-day Hainaut/Henegouwen in Belgium). It should really have been something like Hainholt or Hineholt.

How about John Tory reverses his little "kids ride free" policy which is costing the TTC millions. I'm growing sick of how this guy is acting like the TTC doesn't need to raise fares, but at this same time is unwilling/unable to increase their subsidy and starts making policies which hurts the TTC's bottom line. Let's just hope Tory doesnt pull a RoFo move and tells them to search for efficiencies and freeze fares at the same time. Oh wait...I think we're heading on the same path.

Let's put it this way, the TTC will have to increase fares regardless of the subsidy allocation for next year. The question is: by just how much?

Source : 680News.com

ttcfare1.jpg

ttcfare2.jpg

Attachments

• ttcfare1.jpg
    ttcfare1.jpg
    22.1 KB · Views: 348
  • ttcfare2.jpg
    ttcfare2.jpg
    9.3 KB · Views: 356
How about John Tory reverses his little "kids ride free" policy which is costing the TTC millions?

Is it, though? Fare collectors and operators didn't always bother to collect child fares before. How about we get some subsidy from the province and the feds before considering yet another fare hike.

Is it, though? Fare collectors and operators didn't always bother to collect child fares before. How about we get some subsidy from the province and the feds before considering yet another fare hike.
Last time I checked, it was costing them between $10-$15 million annually (I can't remember the exact figures). Funny thing is, that $10-$15 million can be used to offset their operating shortfall or even provide minor off-peak service increases if they really wanted to.

And let's not act like $10-$15 million is nothing. The TTC was looking for roughly $20 million a few years ago to cover an operating shortfall as well. Eventually they increased fares because they couldnt find the money anywhere else.

How about John Tory reverses his little "kids ride free" policy which is costing the TTC millions. I'm growing sick of how this guy is acting like the TTC doesn't need to raise fares, but at this same time is unwilling/unable to increase their subsidy and starts making policies which hurts the TTC's bottom line.
The total revenue in 2014 from kids fares was only $7.04 million (10.8 million linked trips). That's revenue, and doesn't count the cost of the entire ticket distribution process to thousands of outlets, collection, counting, etc., etc.

That's a rounding error on the budget. It's equivalent to less than a 2¢ fare increase on tokens, etc. The entire revenue from riders (tickets, tokens, cash, passes) is over $1.1 billion.

Even if they had continued, they were going to have to do something about fares for 2-5 year olds to come in line with Presto which is only for 6 and over.

Soon enough, unless cash fares increase, tokens would be marginally cheaper than cash fares (or even equal, though tokens have the advantage of allowing users to enter automatic entrances).

Tokens should provide some more savings on the part of commuters as compared with cash fares.

In other words, if a fare hike is inevitable, then I would prefer if cash fares were to increase to $3.25.

The total revenue in 2014 from kids fares was only $7.04 million (10.8 million linked trips). That's revenue, and doesn't count the cost of the entire ticket distribution process to thousands of outlets, collection, counting, etc., etc.
But then again even though the revenue raised was around $7 million- I trust your numbers since they are usually pretty accurate- i'm sure there has been a increase in ridership from this segment of riders. No matter how negligible the increase is, this in turn increases the cost of operating. I'm sure the increase in operating costs from higher ridership negates some of the ticket distribution costs as you outlined.

Even if they had continued, they were going to have to do something about fares for 2-5 year olds to come in line with Presto which is only for 6 and over.

is there actually an age limit or is it just based on what other transit agencies have as their minimum age to pay a fare?

Back