News   Apr 23, 2024
 180     0 
News   Apr 23, 2024
 394     0 
News   Apr 22, 2024
 1.2K     0 

TTC: One-Person Train Operation

why not leave 2. I mean TTC is safer when getting off a subway as you know there will be someone there when you come up the stairs. I can only imagine people hanging around when they know no TTC person is there. The money saved is peanuts

Maybe I'm mis-reading, but there will still be a station attendant. This has nothing to do with OPTO.

why not leave 2. I mean TTC is safer when getting off a subway as you know there will be someone there when you come up the stairs. I can only imagine people hanging around when they know no TTC person is there. The money saved is peanuts

The money saved is peanuts? Wage costs of employees is one of the biggest expense of any business, corporation or public service.

Source please. That sounds pretty damn high for 60 jobs; and some of that savings is clawed back through new maintenance work (cameras/tvs).

I would expect savings to be closer to $5M/year for Line 1 based on back of the napkin calculations. Maybe $10M/year system wide.
TTC quotes $18.6m but that's just the current work force. The saving would be more with the TYSSE. Add line 2 and it will be over $30m.

http://www.metronews.ca/news/toront...g-ahead-with-one-operator-subway-trains-.html

Add the Eglinton Crosstown LRT. When running underground (Mt. Dennis to Laird), it would be automatic train operation (ATO), where the driver can walk through the cars, if needed. The driver takes over when the train operates at the surface.

The ATO for the heavy rail subway would be the next step, where computers would "drive" the trains and open/close the doors.

Add the Eglinton Crosstown LRT. When running underground (Mt. Dennis to Laird), it would be automatic train operation (ATO), where the driver can walk through the cars, if needed. The driver takes over when the train operates at the surface.

The ATO for the heavy rail subway would be the next step, where computers would "drive" the trains and open/close the doors.
I doubt TTC will put them in fully ATO mode. Definitely not going to be like the Skytrains.

Many ATO system still requires the operator to push the button to close the door but the train starts moving on it's own. The train will arrive at the next station and doors automatically open. The cycle repeats. If line 5 runs more frequent than 3 minutes, they'll still need to do double step back. They won't need to walk through the trains. By the way that's impossible with a 2 or 3 car train because there is no doors out the window in front of the controls in either end of the cabs.

Would be better with platform screen doors.

But they need that money for the Gardiner hybrid.
I've never understood why this is so unfeasibly expensive. However if it's so pricey, just do it half way, like in Beijing.

407230.jpg

Though doesn't stop the jumpers. The suggested revisions to the assisted dying bill may help in that regard.

Thank-you for the details. My guesstimate of number of positions eliminated was much too low.

Looks like a 3 to 4 year break-even for the project.
Even through they have to spend $62.3m to modify the TRs with CCTV at every door, this is a major improvement which allows the operator to see which door is having problem closing. It's been a standard in many new system and it's about time TTC modernize to sync up with this world. With ATO activated by 2020, hopefully line one will feel like 21th century transit.

I've never understood why this is so unfeasibly expensive. However if it's so pricey, just do it half way, like in Beijing.

407230.jpg

Though doesn't stop the jumpers. The suggested revisions to the assisted dying bill may help in that regard.
I don't think it's the windows and gate that cost a lot. It's the installation, equipment that operates them and communication module with the train that takes a decent chuck. The half height PSDs are only used in outdoor and high height platforms.

I don't think it's the windows and gate that cost a lot. It's the installation, equipment that operates them and communication module with the train that takes a decent chuck. The half height PSDs are only used in outdoor and high height platforms.

Another chunk is the cost for rebuilding the platform edges which cannot currently hold that kind of weight, or provide electrical/network to those locations. As an added complication, some platforms contain asbestos insulation.

Another expense which isn't typically mentioned with the PSD cost is fire ventilation. Since platform doors block airflow during a fire, larger track-level ventilation is a prerequisite. So PSDs may trigger spending much higher than the $1B quote we have.

Last edited:
Another chunk is the cost for rebuilding the platform edges which cannot currently hold that kind of weight, or provide electrical/network to those locations. As an added complication, some platforms contain asbestos insulation.

pftttt... Those are all non-issues. Someone already solved them, remember?

pitch_platform_technology_lead.jpg

Source: CBC

Another expense which isn't typically mentioned with the PSD cost is fire ventilation. Since platform doors block airflow during a fire, larger track-level ventilation is a prerequisite. So PSDs may trigger spending much higher than the $1B quote we have.

Most new glass wall and automatic door systems can be suspended from the ceiling. Is required in the newer office buildings with the false flooring. Likewise the electrical for the doors can be in the ceiling as well.

The ventilation is a must. The cost can be minimized by included in reno's for a secondary entrance and/or elevators. The bonus to this is that the customer area can be air conditioned.

I hope they at least they can start by putting the Hong Kong style arrows on the floor to help cue the boarding and disembarking the trains.

pftttt... Those are all non-issues. Someone already solved them, remember?

pitch_platform_technology_lead.jpg

Source: CBC

I think she apparently tired to present her ideas to several transit systems and was told no. The Dragons dismissed her because they had no potential of the idea being used.

I'm not sure what ideas they stole from what I remember from the episode is she wanted to build separate holding pens for each door on the subway. The closet the TTC does to her plan is during early morning rush hour is set up temporary barricades on the Bloor platforms to get customers to spread out along it instead of bunching up at one end of it.

On the subject of queues the worst one is at Spadina streetcar as people never want to use it properly they just make a big long line that blocks the exit to the stairs to the bus well they line up for a streetcar. I over herd one person yell at a ttc employee who asked them to flow the line that they had made the person said :"well it wasn't here when I came in?"

Last edited:

Back