News   Apr 16, 2024
 818     1 

TTC: One-Person Train Operation

bart-simpson-generator.php.gif

Attachments

• bart-simpson-generator.php.gif
    bart-simpson-generator.php.gif
    27.6 KB · Views: 1,045
I've never understood why this is so unfeasibly expensive. However if it's so pricey, just do it half way, like in Beijing.

407230.jpg

Though doesn't stop the jumpers. The suggested revisions to the assisted dying bill may help in that regard.
Agreed. This is the missing piece.

What (aside from the union) is really stopping the TTC from implementing OPTO on the Bloor-Danforth Line (2)?

This could easily be done at quieter stations by having the driver monitor the doors and the red lights on the side of the train through the mirror at the front of the platform. There are no curved platforms on the entire subway network (unlike many other cities), so the operator can view the entire length of train through the mirror.

At busier stations at busy times, follow the London model. Have a guard stationed on the platform at the middle of the train (see below) that signals to the operator when to close the doors.

Having a guard on each train at all times of the day is just such an antiquated model...

7416021850_f015cbc825.jpg

Had my first look at the one man trains yesterday.

6141, 6151, 6161 and 6171 in service with 2 T1's at the yard.

Supervisor at Don Mills making sure things are going to plan. No step back at DM and drivers have very little time to get from one end to the other to move the train. The driver change power direction from the cab car he is in when he arrives at either end. At DM, the driver walks to the west end cab and hits the close button once in the cab and starts moving the train. This is a shorter turn around than before the change.

The step back takes place at Yonge, with the change from the centre platform.

Had my first look at the one man trains yesterday.

6141, 6151, 6161 and 6171 in service with 2 T1's at the yard.

Supervisor at Don Mills making sure things are going to plan. No step back at DM and drivers have very little time to get from one end to the other to move the train. The driver change power direction from the cab car he is in when he arrives at either end. At DM, the driver walks to the west end cab and hits the close button once in the cab and starts moving the train. This is a shorter turn around than before the change.

The step back takes place at Yonge, with the change from the centre platform.

They could have shorter terminal station dwell times if they had an operator waiting at the appropriate end of the platform to take control of the train immediately as it pulled into the terminal station.

Well, it has been a few weeks now and I've seen no incidents personally and haven't read about any incidents in regards to passenger safety that have been caused due to the loss of the guard position. Who would've guessed it. Someone should let Bob Kinnear know.

Well, it has been a few weeks now and I've seen no incidents personally and haven't read about any incidents in regards to passenger safety that have been caused due to the loss of the guard position. Who would've guessed it. Someone should let Bob Kinnear know.

I guess they don't want the bad press from staging one

Schedule adherence and OTP has dropped from ~99.5% to somewhere closer to 92%. And there have been a few incidents of crews filing for grievances, so it hasn't been all roses.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

Schedule adherence and OTP has dropped from ~99.5% to somewhere closer to 92%. And there have been a few incidents of crews filing for grievances, so it hasn't been all roses.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

what are the nature of the grievances? Are they legitimate reasons on safety etc or are they just petty shots at partisanship?
I wouldnt take the initial drop in performance too closely as its still in a period of adjustment. Lets see what happens 6 months from now.

Back