News   Apr 26, 2024
 390     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 335     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 522     0 

TTC: New Fare Gate Installation

...does seniorship generally expire? I thought it's typically, you know, a permanent sort of thing, given the nature of aging.

Not permanent. We all have to go sometime ;-)

Yes, upon death the benefits to seniors expire with them.......and a presto card out there without someway of checking if the person the senior's benefit was given to is still the person using them. There is a reason that pension and annuity companies regularly send out letters to clients to "update their records"....letters that, internally, they refer to "are you alive" letters.

Yes, upon death the benefits to seniors expire with them.......and a presto card out there without someway of checking if the person the senior's benefit was given to is still the person using them.

What's the problem with that? If somebody uses that Presto card, when a fare inspector checks their fare (systems like TTC, GO, UPX, OCTranspo, Viva) or they tap and it makes the concession sound (YRT and other non-POP systems), they will be challenged to show proof of age, and fined+have the card confiscated if they can't.

I am obviously aware that seniors pass away, my point is that there is no purpose to having an expiry date on the senior fare classification since seniors do not transition to another fare category, unlike children, youth/high school students, or post-secondary students. Why create a huge amount of additional work for transit agencies and seniors themselves, who will likely be significantly inconvenienced by having to regularly go and re-up their senior discount, for something that is a non-issue due to fare inspection?

Pape – automatic entrance PRESTO available:Winter 2016

Where is the automatic entrance for Pape? Is it the entrance at the east end of the platform that is currently just a secondary exit? Good news if it will be converted to entrance as well as exit.

What's the problem with that? If somebody uses that Presto card, when a fare inspector checks their fare (systems like TTC, GO, UPX, OCTranspo, Viva) or they tap and it makes the concession sound (YRT and other non-POP systems), they will be challenged to show proof of age, and fined+have the card confiscated if they can't.

I am obviously aware that seniors pass away, my point is that there is no purpose to having an expiry date on the senior fare classification since seniors do not transition to another fare category, unlike children, youth/high school students, or post-secondary students. Why create a huge amount of additional work for transit agencies and seniors themselves, who will likely be significantly inconvenienced by having to regularly go and re-up their senior discount, for something that is a non-issue due to fare inspection?
Well, on systems like the Toronto subway it is gonna be much harder to enforce....there won't always be someone around to hear the different "beep"....it is not a huge deal....but it does no harm to have a protocol where, say, every 3 years you have to re-confirm the card's eligibility to access the discount.

Well, on systems like the Toronto subway it is gonna be much harder to enforce....there won't always be someone around to hear the different "beep"....it is not a huge deal....but it does no harm to have a protocol where, say, every 3 years you have to re-confirm the card's eligibility to access the discount.

The TTC subway is becoming proof-of-payment soon, once everything is 100% Presto. At that point there will be inspectors in stations and on vehicles checking fares and discount eligibility.

What do you mean by that I use a metropass on the ones at Main almost all the time and have no problem with them at all other than one time I pulled it out to soon.

At Jane Station, my Metropass (and others) would not slide and we were instructed by a Presto official at the station to peel that 'do not remove' plastic on the card

The TTC seems to have updated their Construction page on new PRESTO Gates. See: http://ttc.ca/Service_Advisories/Construction/PRESTO_construction.jsp They seem to be planning to finish most (all?) the automatic entrances by early January 2017 (with one access elevator (North York) scheduled for a bit later.) They look like meeting their 'end of 2016" plan for having PRESTO in all stations. Next they need to install new gates in all the early PRESTO Stations like King, Queen etc.

Thanks, updated the OP.

Pape – automatic entrance PRESTO available:Winter 2016

Where is the automatic entrance for Pape? Is it the entrance at the east end of the platform that is currently just a secondary exit? Good news if it will be converted to entrance as well as exit.
Yes. The exit-only's will all (as far as I know) become entrances.

Yes. The exit-only's will all (as far as I know) become entrances.
That's phenomenal. I found it strange they'd build second exits and not allow entrances as well. All of the planning for these pre-dates my time in Toronto, so I'm sure it was discussed way back then as well.

I can't believe they still haven't even started Eglinton. Its one of the busiest stations on the entire subway system.

By the time they install the new gates, they are going to have to rip it all out to renovate the station for the Crosstown.

I can't believe they still haven't even started Eglinton. Its one of the busiest stations on the entire subway system.

By the time they install the new gates, they are going to have to rip it all out to renovate the station for the Crosstown.

I believe it is being installed at the secondary entrance, off of Yonge south of Eglinton. It's been hoarded off for some time now with no barrier along the side.

I believe it is being installed at the secondary entrance, off of Yonge south of Eglinton. It's been hoarded off for some time now with no barrier along the side.
Indeed. It's been the better part of a month now and I never see anyone actually working there.

IMG_20161030_101931.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20161030_101931.jpg
    IMG_20161030_101931.jpg
    767.6 KB · Views: 617
I witness people exiting Lawrence West station through the broken accessibility gate with a slightly opened gap. Seriously what is wrong with these brand new gates and people forcing themselves through them. I think only 2 of the 5 gates are working at Lawrence West.

Shouldnt have come as a surprise given the history of TTC contract work......
You mean Metrolinx contractors. So much for German engineering.... slow and easily broken.

Looking up the fare gate product for this company. I notice the reference photo is of Main Street Station. Is this model even been deployed even elsewhere? Or the TTC is actually a guinea pig again.
https://www.scheidt-bachmann.de/fil...-systems/FareGo/Flyer_FareGo_Gate_PG40_EN.pdf

Last edited:

Back