News   May 06, 2024
 507     1 
News   May 06, 2024
 1K     0 
News   May 06, 2024
 688     1 

TTC: New Fare Gate Installation

Metrolinx isn't involved aside from providing Presto kits to plug into the gates; fare gate installation is a TTC project.
True but I believe Metrolinx pick the company and model. This forces TTC to use the specific contractor from Scheidt-Bachmann. TTC didn't really have a choice.

True but I believe Metrolinx pick the company and model. This forces TTC to use the specific contractor from Scheidt-Bachmann. TTC didn't really have a choice.

Nope, the TTC picked everything. They looked at a number of different manufacturers before settling on S-B.

The gates have been installed and powered up at Warden for the past couple of days, but still undergoing testing.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

Nope, the TTC picked everything. They looked at a number of different manufacturers before settling on S-B.

The gates have been installed and powered up at Warden for the past couple of days, but still undergoing testing.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

All sections of it or just part of it?

I stopped by both Warden and McCowan stations yesterday and got some pictures of the new fare gate, they look like they should be going into service soon.

30249316123_e664900902_z_d.jpg

Warden Station they also have them complete on the other side of the collector's booth too.

30264043664_bf9ddc8306_z_d.jpg

McCowan RT sation

Why are they putting in the fancy new gates at a station that is moving some 50m north anyway? 50m north means this entrance is off the platform....

Has that been confirmed or is that just speculation?? Besides, if anything, its not going to happen for years so in order to meet the presto targets its better that they install it where it is than to spend years re-configuring

Why are they putting in the fancy new gates at a station that is moving some 50m north anyway? 50m north means this entrance is off the platform....

What do you suggest instead? They need to have fare gates there anyways, and seeing as how it will be several years (perhaps 5? 6?) before the platform shifts, might as well make use of it.

Frankly, there's no reason why they can't move the platform north and keep that entrance there and open.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

What do you suggest instead? They need to have fare gates there anyways, and seeing as how it will be several years (perhaps 5? 6?) before the platform shifts, might as well make use of it.

Frankly, there's no reason why they can't move the platform north and keep that entrance there and open.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.
I guess that is currently just an automatic entrance, not like they can put the retrofitted turnstile Presto machines in. Guess they need the new gates to replace them.

As for others' questions as to whether or not its confirmed they're moving the station...my understanding (and I might be wrong) is that they need to because a T-platform connection will be too crowed rather than a +-station.

As for keeping the exit, I thought there'd be a new crossover south of the moved station, but again, could be wrong.

Eglinton Station Update:

Seems to be a working Presto self service machine. Screen is on but I didn't try it myself.
Gates look close to done but still covered in shroud.

I guess that is currently just an automatic entrance, not like they can put the retrofitted turnstile Presto machines in. Guess they need the new gates to replace them.

As for others' questions as to whether or not its confirmed they're moving the station...my understanding (and I might be wrong) is that they need to because a T-platform connection will be too crowed rather than a +-station.

As for keeping the exit, I thought there'd be a new crossover south of the moved station, but again, could be wrong.

I thought the plan was to just extend the existing platform so it meets up with the new one for the crosstown.

I thought the plan was to just extend the existing platform so it meets up with the new one for the crosstown.

It's actually less invasive than that as the platform area already exists so no earth or structural pieces will be removed for Eglinton subway station modifications.

They will move the current mechanical area from the North end of the platform to a new room (existing South end passenger space?), then shift the passenger space north into the previously occupied area. This is better centred with the new LRT station beneath the subway.

It's actually less invasive than that as the platform area already exists so no earth or structural pieces will be removed for Eglinton subway station modifications.

They will move the current mechanical area from the North end of the platform to a new room (existing South end passenger space?), then shift the passenger space north into the previously occupied area. This is better centred with the new LRT station beneath the subway.

That makes sense I was wondering how they would redo the tracks at it if they were extending the platform.

Back