News   Jun 28, 2024
 196     0 
News   Jun 27, 2024
 520     0 
News   Jun 27, 2024
 873     2 

TTC: Jane (LRT) RapidTO

Personally I think that the problem with continuing west from Roncesvalles is that there is already a an east/west transport corridor/ROW there, it's just not used to its full potential. There's the Queensway LRT, Lakeshore West line, and a proposed LRT along Lakeshore or Queensway. So would we really continue to tunnel west with all those options?

ttc-subway-plan-1973.jpg

A Queensway DRL is an interesting idea. Maybe it could terminate at Sherway, and then Etobicoke could start talking about "completing" the DRL to Sherway. Just like how the Sheppard line would connect to the Bloor Danforth line at a shopping mall in order to finally complete Scarborough's status as a respected borough of Toronto, Etobicoke could demand the same. Toronto's shopping malls would be among the most well-connected in the world.

Interesting - every single one of those was done except for the Queen line.

The DRL to Jane - I'm not sure how much sense that makes. I understand why Dundas West was chosen.

Going all the way to Sherway - that doesn't seem to make much sense given the density we're working with. An LRT seems like a great idea though.

I think dundas west to jane and then north on jane makes the most sense DRL west wise... A LRT or Streetcar on Queensway makes sense to me (It can connect with a DRL stop)

I think dundas west to jane and then north on jane makes the most sense DRL west wise... A LRT or Streetcar on Queensway makes sense to me (It can connect with a DRL stop)

Do you mean DRL to Jane, then a subway north on Jane?

I'm having trouble picturing stops for a DRL west of Roncesvalles.

Well well the Jane lrt isn’t dead after all.
John Tory’s smart Track was a farse from the beginning, especially eglinton west to the Airport, but hey he fooled a lot people into voting for him & look what he’s achieved not much.
I knew when Jennifer Left her city planning job that she would be back after the dust settled.
Jane lrt lives , must have 9 lives & should be built in part or all the way to bloor st.
I like her plan for TO , it’s reasonable & achievable.
It connects the hole city, especially some of the priority neighbourhoods & at reasonable cost.
Smart track is dead , just Go rail with a few more stations & Tory gave them all the money from the kitty to implement it.
Oh yeah a one stop subway in Scarborough, which should have stop at Lawrence ( yes there’s always way to figure out how to do this even though it might be a deep station that’s why we have engineers) .
If you’re going to spend 4 to 5 billion then do it right with 3 stations ( Dofo will take care of this ).
And yes you probably already know her plan but there's still some people out there who think Jane st isn’t necessary.
There wrong , just hop on that Bus some time ( if you can get on ) & you will see how bad it is during rush hour.

Here’s her plan:
https://www.cbc.ca/amp/1.4804711
Keesmaat does have it in her platform. But it's also in the all three of the current city plan from 2016, Metrolinx's 2041 Regional Transportation Plan from 2018, and the TTC 5-year corporate plan from 2018.

Presumably then, as John Tory voted to include it in the current city plan, it's also part of his platform.

On the recently map published by the TTC it's Line 8.

upload_2018-9-15_17-44-4.png

Attachments

• upload_2018-9-15_17-44-4.png
    upload_2018-9-15_17-44-4.png
    545.4 KB · Views: 939
Run the relief line to Eglinton via Jane.. then turn it onto Eglinton towards the airport, and viola, Subway access to downtown from the airport.

I like the idea of incoporating the Jane LRT into the Relief Line Northwest, but wouldn't this result in a large duplication of service with RER between Mount Dennis and Bloor/Dundas West? To me, a more logical, but more expensive as all underground rather than in rail corridor, solution would be to have the Relief Line West interchange at Jane Station on Line 2, and continue up Jane to Pioneer Village Station.
TTC Map Edited Jane - Small.png

Attachments

• TTC Map Edited Jane - Small.png
    TTC Map Edited Jane - Small.png
    314.8 KB · Views: 2,403
Run the relief line to Eglinton via Jane.. then turn it onto Eglinton towards the airport, and viola, Subway access to downtown from the airport.
But this would only be possible after the Relief Line gets to Eglinton Ave West, instead of Eglinton West LRT, which is already being planned.

I like the idea of incoporating the Jane LRT into the Relief Line Northwest, but wouldn't this result in a large duplication of service with RER between Mount Dennis and Bloor/Dundas West? To me, a more logical, but more expensive as all underground rather than in rail corridor, solution would be to have the Relief Line West interchange at Jane Station on Line 2, and continue up Jane to Pioneer Village Station.
View attachment 156714
This map is nicer but it also would cost a whole ton extra. I do like grids so I appreciate it but south of bloor on Jane I cant see any stations until queensway. So really its a lot of extra money just to service between Eglinton and Bloor... Also considering the rising costs of stations I cant imagine places like Annette, woolner, alliance getting them so I really dont see the point. I love the map though.

I noticed that the foundations have been poured for the new signals at Richmond and Simcoe as well.

Park and Rosedale Valley would be a great spot for a roundabout if you ask me.

But this would only be possible after the Relief Line gets to Eglinton Ave West, instead of Eglinton West LRT, which is already being planned.

The two could co-exist - have the subway have stops at the Airport, Martine Grove or Kipling, and Jane / Eglinton, while Eglinton West LRT can run its normal route along Eglinton. The Eglinton jog near Jane lends itself almost perfectly to a subway curve from Jane.

Thanks for the clarifiction. For some reason the tunnel gets really thin north of Dundas West, not sure I agree with that. ;)

The problem with this route is that it bypasses everything south of Eglinton, a route that could absolutely use higher order transit.

View attachment 156714

I like this map because it covers that important area of Jane south of Eglinton, but it's definitely more expensive and bypasses Dundas West.

All things considered, the DRL to Dundas West and an LRT from Jane seems like the best and most cost effective solution.

I still say take the DRL to Jane, not Dundas West and run it north to Steeles.

Make sure the DRL has at least 3 tracks to run express service.

The section from Bloor to Eglinton needs to be tunnel, but rest of the line can be on the surface.

Jane needs to be LRT only, as well most of the DRL that can be upgraded to subway down the road. Stations stations need to be built to handle 8 car subway trains down the road. I would also look at using DD trains like they do in Zürich.

Back