News   Jun 28, 2024
 3.9K     5 
News   Jun 28, 2024
 1.9K     2 
News   Jun 28, 2024
 658     1 

TTC: Jane (LRT) RapidTO

Exactly what I was thinking. Extending Line 2 to Sherway would be excellent as well.

I don't know if I would interline them though. Maybe maintain it as an option just for moving of vehicles, but one of the two lines should probably extend to Dixie GO. That is where Mississauga is planning to concentrate a lot of its' growth.

Ah, so you're not excited by the idea of a combined DRL/Bloor-Danforth/Sheppard line? If Sheppard were extended west to connect to the new TYSSE, then we could combined our entire subway system into a single line! Imagine going anywhere in the Toronto subway system without a single transfer!

Gosh, why didn't we built this.....

Exactly what I was thinking. Extending Line 2 to Sherway would be excellent as well.

I don't know if I would interline them though. Maybe maintain it as an option just for moving of vehicles, but one of the two lines should probably extend to Dixie GO. That is where Mississauga is planning to concentrate a lot of its' growth.

Ah, so you're not excited by the idea of a combined DRL/Bloor-Danforth/Sheppard line? If Sheppard were extended west to connect to the new TYSSE, then we could combined our entire subway system into a single line! Imagine going anywhere in the Toronto subway system without a single transfer!

I've created a map to illustrate:

one_line.png

Attachments

• one_line.png
    one_line.png
    156.5 KB · Views: 1,142
Extending the Relief Line to Sherway makes eminent sense, much more than extending Line 2 which needs to stay more to the north. It would serve the full length of the Queensway, which Line 2 can't..... a key area of growth in Etobicoke. Line 2 needs to address ridership coming off Dundas, Bloor, and down 427.

Now... the x billion dollar question....does ridership justify subway all the way to Sherway, or should there be a transfer to LRT somewhere? Please be sure that your position is logically consistent to any other routes where this question might be raised. Personally, I can live with terminating the subway near Roncy and running LRT west from there. Etobians aren't as precious as Scarberians. We won't cry lack of love if we only see LRT out here. The numbers may not require subway beyond Roncy.

- Paul

PS - wow, way off topic for Jane, but interesting how we got here.

Extending the Relief Line to Sherway makes eminent sense, much more than extending Line 2 which needs to stay more to the north. It would serve the full length of the Queensway, which Line 2 can't..... a key area of growth in Etobicoke. Line 2 needs to address ridership coming off Dundas, Bloor, and down 427.

Now... the x billion dollar question....does ridership justify subway all the way to Sherway, or should there be a transfer to LRT somewhere? Please be sure that your position is logically consistent to any other routes where this question might be raised. Personally, I can live with terminating the subway near Roncy and running LRT west from there. Etobians aren't as precious as Scarberians. We won't cry lack of love if we only see LRT out here. The numbers may not require subway beyond Roncy.

- Paul

PS - wow, way off topic for Jane, but interesting how we got here.
A little off topic never hurt anyone. :p

I think it makes more sense to have Queensway and Lakeshore as LRTs that terminate at the multi-modal hub of Sunnyside Station on Roncy. That being said, subway on Queensway would not be something that I would cry over. I can't imagine construction on Queensway being particularly expensive as there are not major geographical barriers and we can build up the residential density along the corridor to suit subway.

I wonder if we can solve Humber Bay's transit problem by having the DRL dip south to Humber Bay, through the Kraft Plant and up Park Lawn Rd back to Queensway.

HumberBayDRL.png

I tried to make the turns easy for the subway. My one hang-up is that ideally the Windemere stop would be at Queensway rather than Lakeshore, but I think reaching the Humber Bay is more than good enough compensation.

Attachments

• HumberBayDRL.png
    HumberBayDRL.png
    1.7 MB · Views: 916
From Roncy over to Windermere, the line is so close to the lake that soil conditions might be too soggy and there could be water table issues. ( No further than QQ is from the lake, I know, and there is a streetcar tunnel there.... but something to ponder.......) At or above grade subway would be possible but I wonder what that, plus the GO 5th track and electrification, would do to the aesthetics of that stretch. Subway to Roncy and then LRT to Humber is a better plan than the Waterfront reset, however. Instead, just connect Exhibition Loop to Dufferin Loop and perhaps extend the streetcar up Dufferin to Bloor, that route is heavily used. Run the RL along Queen to Sunnyside and improve the Queensway ROW to allow a transfer at Roncy and a quicker LRT to Park Lawn and beyond.

At any rate, none of that makes a below grade LRT up South Kingsway more compelling.

- Paul

A subway that replaces the 501 from Long Branch to Roncesvalles could provide high speed travel on that corridor that connects to a DRL.

And provide an excuse to tear down Lakeshore and turn it into another Queens Quay with a Harbour front and an new Etobicoke downtown with skyscrapers.

With the various concepts to bring a Jane LRT south to the Queensway, or bring a Queen Subway/RL north to Jane, I'd go with "Queen Jane Approximately". It's the title of a Bob Dylan song.

The Jane LRT may feed either SmartTrack or the western leg of the Relief Line. It could continue on south to feed or terminate or join with the Lake Shore West streetcar or LRT. That way, passengers would not need to go downtown to catch a ride to get to York University from the west end of Toronto.

With the various concepts to bring a Jane LRT south to the Queensway, or bring a Queen Subway/RL north to Jane, I'd go with "Queen Jane Approximately". It's the title of a Bob Dylan song.

A case of "if only". In 1894, there were "plans" for an expansion of the street railway (streetcar) that unfortunately (in most cases) never happened. There even was a "belt line" railway similar to a "SmartTrack" that followed the Humber River north, which unfortunately failed financially.

From the Old Time Trains website, at this link:

map_electric_railways_1894.jpg

"If only" the didn't sell off the railway right-of-way, the Jane LRT could have had a right-of-way available to get down to The Queensway (then Queen Street).

Well well the Jane lrt isn’t dead after all.
John Tory’s smart Track was a farse from the beginning, especially eglinton west to the Airport, but hey he fooled a lot people into voting for him & look what he’s achieved not much.
I knew when Jennifer Left her city planning job that she would be back after the dust settled.
Jane lrt lives , must have 9 lives & should be built in part or all the way to bloor st.
I like her plan for TO , it’s reasonable & achievable.
It connects the hole city, especially some of the priority neighbourhoods & at reasonable cost.
Smart track is dead , just Go rail with a few more stations & Tory gave them all the money from the kitty to implement it.
Oh yeah a one stop subway in Scarborough, which should have stop at Lawrence ( yes there’s always way to figure out how to do this even though it might be a deep station that’s why we have engineers) .
If you’re going to spend 4 to 5 billion then do it right with 3 stations ( Dofo will take care of this ).
And yes you probably already know her plan but there's still some people out there who think Jane st isn’t necessary.
There wrong , just hop on that Bus some time ( if you can get on ) & you will see how bad it is during rush hour.

Here’s her plan:
https://www.cbc.ca/amp/1.4804711

Back