News   Jul 23, 2024
 150     1 
News   Jul 23, 2024
 368     0 
News   Jul 23, 2024
 410     0 

TTC: Flexity Streetcars Testing & Delivery (Bombardier)

Flexity 2

The Flexity 2 is now on Bombardier's web site at this link.

BT-4272-ECO4_FLEXITY2.jpg

You can download their PDF brochure from this link.

From their web site:
The BOMBARDIER FLEXITY 2 tram incorporates outstanding, proven features of Bombardier trams into one vehicle.

Benefits include:

Customized design

The FLEXITY 2 tram has a unique design concept: creative customization based on standardized components.

Passenger focus

High levels of passenger comfort and safety are complemented by enhanced facilities for mobility impaired users.

Leading-edge technology

The combination of 100% low-floor technology and conventional wheel-set bogies results in ultra-smooth running qualities, low ground-borne noise levels and vibrations, a much more comfortable ride for the passengers and reduced track maintenance costs for the operator.

Bombardier’s safety standards are much stricter than those in force in the industry today in order to provide the highest protection for both passengers and driver in case of an accident.

Straightforward access to maintenance and service data and easily accessible system parameters lead to easier servicing of the vehicle.

Efficiency in every respect

The use of proven parts - while minimizing the number and complexity of the components - combined with energy-saving technologies, excellent maintainability and industry-leading reliability bring unparalleled levels of operational efficiency throughout the vehicle’s lifetime.

Improved repairabilty

An intelligent repairability concept and various smart functions make the FLEXITY 2 tram easier to repair. This means significant savings of time and money for the operator.

It's almost as bad as cell phones. As soon as you buy one, there's a new, better one on the market.

I think the real innovation and potential of this new Flexity model is catenary-free inductive power.

Imagine Dundas in front of the AGO all free of the overhead streetcar power line clutter!

Imagine the potential for a future where cars are developed to take advantage of this in cities with a widespread grid of inductive power systems...

I sure hope the TTC looks into that possibility and that the city has the vision to adopt such a system for at least our downtown core as an addition to the effort to beautify our city.

I think the real innovation and potential of this new Flexity model is catenary-free inductive power.

Imagine Dundas in front of the AGO all free of the overhead streetcar power line clutter!

Imagine the potential for a future where cars are developed to take advantage of this in cities with a widespread grid of inductive power systems...

I sure hope the TTC looks into that possibility and that the city has the vision to adopt such a system for at least our downtown core as an addition to the effort to beautify our city.

There is still time.... Pay the difference from the Flexity1 to the newer Flexity2 and go for the best, you dont have to be a rocket scientist to figure out what is going to be rolling around in world cities in the near future.

This is the first time that I actually have to agree (partly) with the fed's stance.

Miller and Giambrone et al.'s push for this 'euro style' streetcar and 'LRT' future is becomming an unteathered feaverish obsession. Yes, we need those new streetcars, but THAT IS THE ONLY FRIGGEN BID WE MAKE? THAT'S IT? WHAT? EXCUSE ME? and they mess it up? They must have messed it up, I can't believe that it's simply sabotage. This city's government is really starting to sicken me. The feds already give Toronto a hard time, the last thing we need is a mayor who wants to take the easy route (i.e: well at least we can afford all this 'rapid transit' for less money), and then we have a puppet, Giambrone, who can't think for himself to save himself, brainwashed by a deceivingly self-servicing transit geek who fetishes over 'euro-style' transit, wants to ride one of these new 'LRTs' before he dies, and therefore 'advocates' for 'better transit'. People like giambrone and miller listen to him.

Yes, I am talking, once again, about Steve Munro.

But who will I not blame? John Baird. It must be a cold day in hell, I use to hate this man, but I join him in telling Miller to, well f--- off.

I don't think there's any suggestion the City 'messed it up.' What they did was, probably, frame the project--which is the City's number-one infrastructure priority, and has been remarkably consistent in that respect--in such a way as to qualify for the stimulus package. This probably meant emphasizing work that could be done by 2011, and jobs created in Thunder Bay as a result.

Clearly, Mr. Baird disagrees with that framing.

John Baird seems to have a hate for Toronto and was reflected when he was a minister for Harris, and now when is a minister for Harper. He seems to be trying to stop any support for Toronto by looking for any typo or mistake in the application for streetcar funding.

Back