News   Aug 26, 2024
 269     0 
News   Aug 26, 2024
 401     2 
News   Aug 23, 2024
 1.8K     0 

TTC: Flexity Streetcars Testing & Delivery (Bombardier)

I see that the desaturation of Toronto's streetscapes continues in that rendering of the new streetcar. All silver with just a hint of red, the new streetcar will go nicely with the sea of grey street furniture.

They may change the colour scheme, as what happened when the CLRV's were introduced. Before the CLRV, buses and streetcars were maroon and creme. Then they gradually changed the colours to what we have today.
Some PCC's were changed to the CLRV colours, but they just didn't look right.
bvt061.jpg
ttc109.jpg

bvt057.jpg

bvt014.jpg

bvt002.jpg

ttc235.jpg

They could make the roof a grey or graphite colour to match the colour from any carbon dust residue from a pantograph.

Last edited:
Has anyone tried creating an image of what the CLRVs would look like with the old-style paint colours, or the Flexity cars? I doubt it would fit well, but I'm willing to be proven wrong.

I hope the lack of a centre headlight is unofficial as well. It looks so naked without one.

I hope the lack of a centre headlight is unofficial as well. It looks so naked without one.
To be honest, I never really noticed it anyway.

Has anyone tried creating an image of what the CLRVs would look like with the old-style paint colours, or the Flexity cars? I doubt it would fit well, but I'm willing to be proven wrong.
Hey, I like the old colour scheme and think it could work, but then again, I'd prefer some sort of update for the 21st century too.

I kinda do like this kind of style with silver grey and red though.

eglinton-LRT.jpg

Preferably, they'll cover the wheels.

To be honest though, I don't really care that much about the looks, as long it works fine, including in the winters.

The non-handicapped buses just have clearance lights.
dec3006-bus.jpg

Handicaped accessible buses have the blue corner lights.
080818_bushammer_CP24_320.jpg

The pre-CLRV streetcars had the single green overhead light.
800px-HCRY-Peter-Witt-TTC-2984.jpg

The CLRV and ALRV streetcars have green corner lights at top.
233450695_ac193a06cd.jpg

I would assume that new streetcars and light rail vehicles will have top corner lights to be blue (not green) to indicate handicap accessibility.
apr2409-streetcarout600.jpg

I would like to see the return of the green light overhead in center, similar to the PCC but with the corner blue handicap indicator lights. In LED of course.
4349_jbf_2.jpg

Only Toronto had the green overhead light on their streetcars. Other cities may have had headlights on top, but not a green indicator light. Unless they got them second or third-hand from the TTC.
streetcar-4753-19.jpg

Last edited:
Agreed. And, frankly, I think maroon-and-cream screams 'TTC' only to transit geeks; for most Torontonians the red-and-white is much more 'iconic.'

New TTC LRVs...

Everyone: I noticed the color graphic posted by Wylie below and I will second that the CLRV colors or that silver/gray and red would look best on the new TTC LRV. I always liked the CLRVs and I am surprised no other city ordered them back in the 80s. LI MIKE

Last edited:
Agreed. While I love maroon-and-cream for its history, it won't work on such a modern-looking vehicle.

Why not? Wylie's done a great job rendering what it would like. And it ain't half bad. Why can't we bolster some of the few traditions we have in this city?

Black may not always look good on a taxi in London, but I doubt you'd find any Londoners who support getting rid of black cabs!

Agreed. And, frankly, I think maroon-and-cream screams 'TTC' only to transit geeks; for most Torontonians the red-and-white is much more 'iconic.'

That's only because most people living in Toronto today have never seen a cream and maroon paint scheme.

I think this a great opportunity for the TTC to raise its profile a little. Maybe paint a few one way, and a few the other and then run a poll for the public.

Keithz:

I don't know, at this point in time, the red-white-black is the tradition, and it's a combo that works very well branding. I would prefer keeping that colour scheme over the grey.

AoD

^ True enough. For me, if it comes to white-red-black then i prefer the gray-red-black which does not appear as dirty when the LRV has not been washed.

I am a little nostalgic so I do prefer the cream-maroon. I wish we had just stuck to that paint scheme instead of changing. I still think the TTC should put it to a poll. Why not get some free public buzz from an easy to run branding exercise?

Back