News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.2K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 1K     1 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 376     0 

TTC: Flexity Streetcars Testing & Delivery (Bombardier)

N
Was on a car the other day where the operator just had the doors on the buttons. When he stopped and people were confused he just said to use the buttons.

Not surprised. When the weather gets colder it makes no sense to open all the doors at once.

I take GO transit home from Union every night and am noticing as it gets colder that they keep the doors operating on the buttons only when they are waiting at the station. They only open all the doors at the stops and only because it is momentary

Time The TO People do what the rest of the world does and that's pushing the button. Only need to go to Buffalo or Detroit to see it first hand, let alone KW and Ottawa. Every system I been on in NA other than Toronto, you push the button. This applies to systems that have buttons for the doors, as there are systems that don't

Hurontario will be button only on day one.

It's especially horrid when the operators open all the doors for minutes on end in the freezing cold anytime someone requests to use the ramp. Now if people have to use mobility devices or have trouble boarding for other reasons that's one thing, and I can completely understand that and have empathy.

But when you have people requesting the ramp for their shopping carts and the ramp has to be deployed at 4 different times throughout a single trip and all doors open letting -20 air in, that's just out of hand.

But in anycase, it's clear the operators have discretion as to whether they open all doors or just enable the doors to open by touch. The problem in this city is that 50% of drivers in this city (and im not exaggerating) blow by the streetcar doors so it doesnt really give operators much of a choice but to open all doors, as they act as a slight deterent. If they chose to enable the doors to open, the amount of near death experiences that riders would experience would skyrocket.

Time The TO People do what the rest of the world does and that's pushing the button. Only need to go to Buffalo or Detroit to see it first hand, let alone KW and Ottawa. Every system I been on in NA other than Toronto, you push the button. This applies to systems that have buttons for the doors, as there are systems that don't

Hurontario will be button only on day one.

Even the metros (subways) in Europe have buttons on the trains doors that passengers have to press to open them. Useful at the terminals, where the trains wait with the doors closed and only open when the passenger presses the button (closing afterwards).

It's especially horrid when the operators open all the doors for minutes on end in the freezing cold anytime someone requests to use the ramp. Now if people have to use mobility devices or have trouble boarding for other reasons that's one thing, and I can completely understand that and have empathy.

But when you have people requesting the ramp for their shopping carts and the ramp has to be deployed at 4 different times throughout a single trip and all doors open letting -20 air in, that's just out of hand.

But in anycase, it's clear the operators have discretion as to whether they open all doors or just enable the doors to open by touch. The problem in this city is that 50% of drivers in this city (and im not exaggerating) blow by the streetcar doors so it doesnt really give operators much of a choice but to open all doors, as they act as a slight deterent. If they chose to enable the doors to open, the amount of near death experiences that riders would experience would skyrocket.
You mean this seen Dec 15 At Broadview for a 504. That's not the driver of the car. I have another still to be fix showing someone who the ramp is for getting on a 501 at Bathurst. First shot of a stroller needing a ramp when 99% get on/off without the ramp in the first place.
49232343526_38785f3177_b.jpg

Those who are taking cars:
4595 was off loaded Dec 13
4598 off loaded now Dec 19
4406 was off loaded Dec 16
4599 Could be off loaded next week,
4600 could be off loaded by Dec 31 if it is in transit or about to to leave in the next few days.

The rest, 4601, 4602, 4603 and 4401 should be here by late Jan 2020

From Steve Munro's article on

501 Queen: Streetcars vs Buses November 25-29, 2019

at this link.

There was this comment:

One thing I have noticed recently are the ramp requests for people boarding/disembarking streetcars with baby strollers. This is another source of increased dwell times for streetcars that doesn’t happen with buses.​

Why increase the dwell time because of baby strollers? I picked up my kid's stroller to carry them up and down the steps of streetcars and buses. There is no need to do a ramp request for baby strollers, for babies or toddlers. And if they are more than two years old and are capable, they should walk. Unless they are carrying the kitchen sink at the same time.

at this link.

There was this comment:

One thing I have noticed recently are the ramp requests for people boarding/disembarking streetcars with baby strollers. This is another source of increased dwell times for streetcars that doesn’t happen with buses.​

Why increase the dwell time because of baby strollers? I picked up my kid's stroller to carry them up and down the steps of streetcars and buses. There is no need to do a ramp request for baby strollers, for babies or toddlers. And if they are more than two years old and are capable, they should walk. Unless they are carrying the kitchen sink at the same time.

501 in some sections with buses isn't faster despite what naysayers will say...

at this link.

There was this comment:

It does smack of entitlement for an able-bodied person, particularly for a stroller the size of the one shown in the photo. Some strollers, however, look like they require three adults to be lifted. I have to believe the ramps were intended for true mobility impairment issues. Can I get the ramp if I'm just plain lazy?

It does smack of entitlement for an able-bodied person, particularly for a stroller the size of the one shown in the photo. Some strollers, however, look like they require three adults to be lifted. I have to believe the ramps were intended for true mobility impairment issues. Can I get the ramp if I'm just plain lazy?

The floor of the new streetcars are low enough that one doesn't need to lift a stroller, just tilt them to get them up or down. I do not consider a baby stroller a "mobility device".

Question: Earlier this afternoon, on King Street, 4486 had a a small framework on the roof of the car, at the front over the driver's compartment, with three white plastic lights showing. The lights were arranged in a row across the front of the car, - perpendicular to the direction of travel. I do not think the lights were on at the time, but dusk was just starting, so could not be sure.

Looking at all the othger Flexities on King going by before turning off King at Bathurst, no other car had a similar configuration at the front. I also searched Google Images, and there are pictures of 4486, without the frame and lights, so, unless I am totally imagining things, this is something that has been added recently.

Does anyone know what this is, what it would be for?

Dec 15
This was at Queen and Bathurst with the driver in his seat
49245813456_462a558e21_b.jpg

Question: Earlier this afternoon, on King Street, 4486 had a a small framework on the roof of the car, at the front over the driver's compartment, with three white plastic lights showing. The lights were arranged in a row across the front of the car, - perpendicular to the direction of travel. I do not think the lights were on at the time, but dusk was just starting, so could not be sure.

Looking at all the othger Flexities on King going by before turning off King at Bathurst, no other car had a similar configuration at the front. I also searched Google Images, and there are pictures of 4486, without the frame and lights, so, unless I am totally imagining things, this is something that has been added recently.

All I know of is that roof thing has been there since June and isn't a recent installation.

It is the new Vision system. Car 4486 is the test pilot for the Vision system for Flexities.

Back