News   Apr 19, 2024
 995     0 
News   Apr 19, 2024
 686     2 
News   Apr 19, 2024
 1.1K     3 

TTC: Flexity Streetcars Testing & Delivery (Bombardier)

Keep in mind, too, that most of the Commissioners wear two hats - they are working for both the Commission, and their constituents as City of Toronto councillors. While they may feel that the TTC needs more money, they may also be hearing from their constituents that they need to try and keep costs down. And maybe this is part of the problem - maybe we need to have the oversight of the TTC separate from the governance of the City in the sense that the commissioners should not be councillors as well.

Dan
I thought it, but didn't say it when I wrote the first post. For the reason you have stated, the board has a conflict that renders it ineffective. This governance structure is a waste of time. It is meant to separate the TTC from council meddling, but it clearly lacks teeth.

In Spring 2020, you will be seeing Flexities roll down Dundas. They're currently doing work on the overhead to accomdate pantographs.

Is this to say that there won't even be CLRVs running on the 505, and that the TTC therefore won't be bringing any streetcars back to the 505 until next spring? If so, they really need to ride a 505 bus to see how awful they are.

4578, 4587 and 4588 all out testing at this time.

Looks like 4400 GPS acting up as it has it outside the service bay door in the same spot for the last 2 days and expect it is in the service bay.

4589 off loaded today and may see 4590 off loaded Tuesday or later this week.

How can you have cars on 505 when there isn't enough Flexity for 506? Wise to wait until spring 2020 to put cars on it after the OS is replace. Most likely be pans on day one.

It wouldn't have had to have been Flexities on the 505. If the MTO didn't have some ideological reason why CLRVs needed to be off the road, full-stop by Dec31, then they could've run them on the 505.

It wouldn't have had to have been Flexities on the 505. If the MTO didn't have some ideological reason why CLRVs needed to be off the road, full-stop by Dec31, then they could've run them on the 505.

The overhead on Dundas is in the process of being converted to allow for pantograph-only operation. As a result, CLRVs cannot be reallocated onto the 505. MTO has nothing to do with this decision.

Though the TTC seem to have totally converted King to accept pantographs, they have yet to deal with conversion of the Church/Richmond/Victoria/Adelaide blocks which are used for many diversions. Until these blocks are done I doubt we will see pantos on King but .....

One thing I've now noticed with the Flexity Outlook that I feel could be improved upon is its rear turn signal. They're down so low, and small. It's hard to know it's turning unless you're right up behind the streetcar. I think it'd be a good idea to have another pair of lights at the rear top to also act as turn signals. Just something I observed today.

One thing I've now noticed with the Flexity Outlook that I feel could be improved upon is its rear turn signal. They're down so low, and small. It's hard to know it's turning unless you're right up behind the streetcar. I think it'd be a good idea to have another pair of lights at the rear top to also act as turn signals. Just something I observed today.

Make the suggestion directly to the TTC.

From link.

Compliments, Complaints and Suggestions
  • On-line form: Compliments, Complaints and Suggestions
  • By Mail: Toronto Transit Commission, 1900 Yonge Street, Toronto, Ontario, M4S 1Z2
  • TTY Hearing Impaired Service, 416-338-0357, Daily, 7 a.m.to 10 p.m.; except statutory holidays.
  • Customer Service, by phone:
    416-393-3030 (Daily, 7 a.m. to 10 p.m., except statutory holidays)
  • Customer Service Centre, in person:
    1900 Yonge Street, Toronto (Weekdays, 8:30 a.m. to 5 p.m., except statutory holidays.
    Extended hours, 7:00 a.m. to 7 p.m. every Thursday and the first and the last business day of each month).

TTC 4591 has now shipped, but it's getting pretty close to the end of the year and 12 cars are outstanding.
I'm beginning to doubt whether the full 204 cars will be delivered by year end, as frequently promised.
The overshoot may only be a handful, but it would sure have been better if this target were met.

- Paul

TTC 4591 has now shipped, but it's getting pretty close to the end of the year and 12 cars are outstanding.
I'm beginning to doubt whether the full 204 cars will be delivered by year end, as frequently promised.
The overshoot may only be a handful, but it would sure have been better if this target were met.

- Paul
I stand to be corrected, but 15 cars still to come that includes 4401 & 4579.

Depending on the weather and CP service, TTC could see all the cars or not by Dec 31, but it will be 2020 for the last few. Never expected to see all cars here this year and may have to eat my words if they are.

With 6 weeks to go and allowing shipping time, TB got 14 cars for 2 to be ship weekly and Kingston got 1 if they are still doing 4579.

4590 has yet to show up and 4400, 4078, 4587 & 4588 are still in testing stage. 4589 just started tracking as I was typing this posting. Been 34 days since 4400 arrived. 4400, 4078, 4587 & 4588 should enter service this coming week, if not this weekend.

4589 was out testing earlier and saw it as well 4578 & 4587 all out testing yesterday at the same time.

Last edited:

- Paul
BBD is pretty good at delivering streetcars during November and December. Quality is another issue. 2 years ago, everyone was busy debating if they'll deliver 4500 by 2019 and speculated the first car would retire before the last is delivered. There's no point in sending an incomplete car over since they don't have service bays to finish them up anymore. Might as well be a month late.

4471 and 4478 need to be run through TB as well, but they are accepted cars so won’t count for contract completion and thus will presumably have to wait behind 4401 if BBD are running only one production line by then.

MIA From Quebec That was supposed to be 19 weeks.......126 days
4400 Loaded September 07, 2018 Return October 03, 2019.......391 days.....Still In Testing
4401 Loaded May 14, 2018............. 542 days....77 weeks & 3 days.........Expect to see it in Q1 2020
4403 Loaded February 20, 2019.....260 days....37 weeks & 1 days
4404 Loaded October 29, 2018.......374 days....53 weeks & 3 days
4405 Loaded April 10, 2019.............211 days....30 weeks & 1 days
4407 Loaded May 01, 2019.............190 days.....27 weeks & 1 days
4408 Loaded June 28, 2019 ...........132 days.....18 weeks & 6 days

4578 is in service on 512 and no idea when it went into service since the GPS for all test cars off line the last 4 days. The other cars are still off line

Edit:
4589 out testing on the Queensway now and just show up. 4400 is now tracking outside the service bay door where it was last seen 4 days ago.

According to Transsee, 4578 enter service today at 2:23 pm

Edit:
4578 was seen early today and looks like it enter service today in the am. even though Transsee said it enter service at 2:23 pm. Take the time with a gain of salt based on the GPS issues the last 4 days.

4590 has been off loaded and is tracking in the service bay. Most likely off loaded Friday, but no confirmation on it at this time.

4591 Looks like it has been off loaded, but don't hold me to this.

4587 & 88 still in the same location last seen 3/4 days ago.

Last edited:
Lack of GPS may be connected to this, posted by TTC last week:

NextBus is currently experiencing technical issues with their GPS system. Therefore projected arrival times may be impacted. Technicians are working to resolve the issue.

Last updated Nov 8, 9:14 PM

Back