News   May 10, 2024
 772     0 
News   May 10, 2024
 925     0 
News   May 10, 2024
 954     0 

TTC: Flexity Streetcars Testing & Delivery (Bombardier)

That's good. I guess it gives us some breathing room to decide to use a different supplier. Bombardier absolutely does not deserve any more of our business. Although it adds some complexity to replacement parts, I think having some variety in manufacturers will provide some safety and will in the future allow healthy competition between say Alstom and Bombardier when the city decides to tender even more cars. Fail to meet deadlines and you lose the order to the other.

I don't think anyone is going to come close to Bombardier's $5-million price per car - let alone the $3.5 million option price.

Really only needed 15 to 20 more cars at this time. The decision to not get the cars now, and instead pay vastly more in a decade or so is tragic.

I don't think anyone is going to come close to Bombardier's $5-million price per car - let alone the $3.5 million option price.

Really only needed 15 to 20 more cars at this time. The decision to not get the cars now, and instead pay vastly more in a decade or so is tragic.

It also shows that the TTC isn't interested in keeping streetcars around, which is also concerning,

What they are interested in doing, versus what they have funding to do, are completely different things.

- Paul

Yes correct. Would I should have said was that they have wanted in the past for the 60 additional cars that @nfitz mentioned, but also it would seem as if now they want buses until 2026. One could translate this as meaning that they might not want streetcars around for longer

With a Bus CEO,, no surprise to see the movement to bus only that was supposed to happen 50 years ago,

You got a supplier who thinks streetcars are dead in NA and push the Sky Train to replace them.

Then council has drag its feet for over a decade at looking at replacing the existing fleet. Then it has taken 14/15 years to replace the existing fleet with new rolling stock that fails to meet past, current and future needs because the city can't afford to pay for them as well a Ford Government.

I said in 2005 and since then that we were moving a cattle car system to another cattle system by buying 204 in place of 252 Plus 50 cars for improve service and expansion.

Maybe TTC should do what Phoenix does .by running 2 car trains (210') every 11-15 minutes over their 28 mile system that sees 50k a day. It runs some 3 car trains a peak time and event days..Headway would need to be less to meet King ridership, but greater than today.Queen should see 8 minute service..

As ;long as the city push extra cars and expansion down the road,, the greater chance ridership will fall since they gave up trying to get on a new fleet like today and use other means to move around to the point buses is the only option to move the remaining riders.

With the various issues with Kingston cars so far, a lot better to get them from Thunder Bay even though some cars will take up to 30 days to get in service..

With a Bus CEO,, no surprise to see the movement to bus only that was supposed to happen 50 years ago,

Bus CEO?!? Mr. Leary presided over Boston's purchase of the Type 8 cars, which was (supposed to be) a 100-strong order to replace the antiquated and much-maligned 1970s Boeing-Vertol fleet. If he was a "bus CEO" wouldn't he have been instead pushing for the retirement of all of the Green-line cars?

(Granted the Type 8 fleet had it's own set of well-documented issues and failings for which Mr. Leary was also culpable for, but that's not the point here.)

Dan

You got a supplier who
thinks streetcars are dead in NA and push the Sky Train to replace them.

Then council has drag its feet for over a decade at looking at replacing the existing fleet. Then it has taken 14/15 years to replace the existing fleet with new rolling stock that fails to meet past, current and future needs because the city can't afford to pay for them as well a Ford Government.

I said in 2005 and since then that we were moving a cattle car system to another cattle system by buying 204 in place of 252 Plus 50 cars for improve service and expansion.

Maybe TTC should do what Phoenix does .by running 2 car trains (210') every 11-15 minutes over their 28 mile system that sees 50k a day. It runs some 3 car trains a peak time and event days..Headway would need to be less to meet King ridership, but greater than today.Queen should see 8 minute service..

As ;long as the city push extra cars and expansion down the road,, the greater chance ridership will fall since they gave up trying to get on a new fleet like today and use other means to move around to the point buses is the only option to move the remaining riders.

With the various issues with Kingston cars so far, a lot better to get them from Thunder Bay even though some cars will take up to 30 days to get in service..

Leary does act like anti-streetcar tbh from what we have seen from him. If they keep up this trend then I would certainly expect *sigh* for several streetcar routes to probably be permanently converted to buses, like 503 and 502

maybe a little unrelated, but what exactly is stopping the ttc from ordering streetcars that can drive on both ends and be coupled together like the flexity freedoms except with ttc gauge standards. eventually if the entire fleet has those capabilities we can do away with loops and increase capacity like crazy on routes that need it.

maybe a little unrelated, but what exactly is stopping the ttc from ordering streetcars that can drive on both ends and be coupled together like the flexity freedoms except with ttc gauge standards. eventually if the entire fleet has those capabilities we can do away with loops and increase capacity like crazy on routes that need it.

There are no crossovers, there are no bay platforms to allow boarding and exiting on both sides. With the current system of loops only one side is needed. Why pay for double sided cars and lose seating when you only need one side.

Back