News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.3K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 1K     1 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 384     0 

TTC: Flexity Streetcars Testing & Delivery (Bombardier)

“St. Clair has been converted to Pantograph only operation with Bathurst to follow” presumably that means 511 rather than all of Bathurst given the impact on legacy cars needing to access Hillcrest!
Surely.

Even St. Clair, as far as I understand it, the only thing that can't handle poles is St. Clair West station, and nothing physically precludes poles operating there otherwise, if they don't enter the station.

Perhaps they are changing the overheard at Bathurst Station? Or maybe the new ROW from Fleet to the railway overpass - not sure when that's finally being built.

4497, 4470, 4506, 4409, 4504, 4480, 4493 and 4496 are on 501A today
There's Flexity's on 501 every Sunday - looks like about 20 right now. Nothing new here ...

“St. Clair has been converted to Pantograph only operation with Bathurst to follow” presumably that means 511 rather than all of Bathurst given the impact on legacy cars needing to access Hillcrest!
In general, poles can operate everywhere while pantographs can only operate where the overhead has been upgraded (the 'junctions and sharp corners are the major problem areas). Not sure why poles cannot operate inside St Clair West station itself but that's what some of us seem to think.

In general, poles can operate everywhere while pantographs can only operate where the overhead has been upgraded (the 'junctions and sharp corners are the major problem areas). Not sure why poles cannot operate inside St Clair West station itself but that's what some of us seem to think.
do you know of a place where trolley poles mix with rigid conductor overhead?

(Also having reflected on it, it makes way more sense that the report meant 511 was going panto only rather than the street/route - 512 is a special case and no need for rigid conductor on Bathurst)

Surely.

Even St. Clair, as far as I understand it, the only thing that can't handle poles is St. Clair West station, and nothing physically precludes poles operating there otherwise, if they don't enter the station.

Perhaps they are changing the overheard at Bathurst Station? Or maybe the new ROW from Fleet to the railway overpass - not sure when that's finally being built.

There's Flexity's on 501 every Sunday - looks like about 20 right now. Nothing new here ...
No poles vehicles can operate east of Bathurst St since all overhead for the bypass and the loop can't handle them on St Clair.

The original plan call for both poles and Pans for St Clair W station area, but was change just before the work was to start to pans only by upper management. There is some talk that this may happen at other locations as it removes the worry of poles doing damage to the overhead compare to this new style. If you look at the various photos I shot for the loop, you will see no junctions, switches or crossover wire to support poles. The bottom of the new overhead has no room for the pulley to turn while using the wire that there now.

501 is the next line to go pans and the new fleet, but until pans can be use on the line, 4 intersections needs to be rebuilt. They will be 2020 at this time. Don't forget Roncesvalles/King/Queen/Queensway intersection and area is out of service April-Nov 2019

do you know of a place where trolley poles mix with rigid conductor overhead?

(Also having reflected on it, it makes way more sense that the report meant 511 was going panto only rather than the street/route - 512 is a special case and no need for rigid conductor on Bathurst)
Poles can certainly work on the STRAIGHT rigid overhead - used under many bridges. As Drum (who is much better informed than I am) says above, the 'problem' is where there is 'special work'.

Surely.

Yeah, I am aware about the 501 Flexities on Sundays. I just report the fleet numbers here so that everyone knows what particular vehicles are out on 501.

There have been numerous posts further up the thread for months noting that there were Flexities on 501 on Sunday.

Did you post the specific car numbers that were out there today? This is what thettctransitfanatic posted. But you immediately found something else entirely to criticize about.

Poles can certainly work on the STRAIGHT rigid overhead - used under many bridges.
That's a very different application. The yellow part you see under a bridge isn't a rigid overhead it's a piece of fibreglass the wire is still used. its there to protect the pole from coming in contact with the bridge and getting damaged they have the same things in the tunnels into union and Spadina and St. Clair west had it in place until they added the new overhead.

I have asked the question and haven't heard back yet, but I expect to see the new system at St Clair W to start showing up at various locations around 2025 once the existing fleet is gone. This will mean either the Witt, PCC's and any existing cars will be converted to pans or put on display somewhere, unless there are a few lines they can run with poles.

I have no idea why ppl are getting so upset when someone post x cars are on 501 when it can be y cars based on the time of day. So what if 10 cars were out at 9 am and 18 at noon. The schedule calls for cars to be roll out at various times and not everyone will be a Flexity at those times. Same goes from weekend to weekend. In fact, I knew 4511 was going to enter service today that I saw it still sitting in the yard at 6:30 am today, while someone else saw hours later still there until I saw it on 510 over 4 hours later than the first time. Normally, cars go into service before 7 am for weekdays and have been up to 8 am on the weekend. In the end, it was a later roll out today.

So what if the car was late going into service, let alone today, its in service bottom line. Even if it went into service like I said earlier this week, it in service sooner than most cars (11 days), especially 4408 that will be in service by this Friday if no problem surface, 31 days after arrival.

The same goes for number of cars system wide. Cars have to be maintain to the point some need more time than other, as well crews on hand to drive them and maintain them. Weekends will see less of these people.

One thing I will say to new poster, do some reading of the threads to see if your answer is there in the first place and it could be found 1-20 pages back before asking questions.

I have asked the question and haven't heard back yet, but I expect to see the new system at St Clair W to start showing up at various locations around 2025 once the existing fleet is gone. This will mean either the Witt, PCC's and any existing cars will be converted to pans or put on display somewhere, unless there are a few lines they can run with poles.

I have no idea why ppl are getting so upset when someone post x cars are on 501 when it can be y cars based on the time of day. So what if 10 cars were out at 9 am and 18 at noon. The schedule calls for cars to be roll out at various times and not everyone will be a Flexity at those times. Same goes from weekend to weekend. In fact, I knew 4511 was going to enter service today that I saw it still sitting in the yard at 6:30 am today, while someone else saw hours later still there until I saw it on 510 over 4 hours later than the first time. Normally, cars go into service before 7 am for weekdays and have been up to 8 am on the weekend. In the end, it was a later roll out today.

So what if the car was late going into service, let alone today, its in service bottom line. Even if it went into service like I said earlier this week, it in service sooner than most cars (11 days), especially 4408 that will be in service by this Friday if no problem surface, 31 days after arrival.

The same goes for number of cars system wide. Cars have to be maintain to the point some need more time than other, as well crews on hand to drive them and maintain them. Weekends will see less of these people.

One thing I will say to new poster, do some reading of the threads to see if your answer is there in the first place and it could be found 1-20 pages back before asking questions.

So, we're expecting 4508 to be in service by Friday ? Wonder what the delay was, in that it did not enter service earlier on.

Back