News   May 10, 2024
 1.8K     2 
News   May 10, 2024
 3K     0 
News   May 10, 2024
 1.4K     0 

TTC: Flexity Streetcars Testing & Delivery (Bombardier)

Suggest you scroll back much earlier in this thread, you will see mention of the limits to liquidated damages. In this contract, the practical significance of non-performance is that the TTC continues to run the older CLRV/ALRV fleet, which represents a huge maintenance cost given that those old cars should have been retired by now and are clapped out. TTC has divulged that there is some limit to the amount they can seek as damages from Bombardier for this. I forget the amount, it's somewhere back there.

- Paul

$50mil. The TTC and Bombardier have long been in discussions about how to deal with it as they blew through that amount years ago.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

Not sure how you are calculating quarterly performance but I'm assuming you mean from Q4 2017 to Q4 2018? Well they certainly did not meet their target in the last quarter of 2017.
Q4 2017 to Q3 2018.

Looking at the in-service numbers. The Q1 to Q3 total in-service target was 43 cars (12, 16, and 15) which was achieved (being 10, 15, and 18). This is about 14.3 cars per quarter, which appears to be the maximum production capacity in Thunder Bay.

Looking at Q4 2017, they shipped 15 cars, and 14 entered service. Which does seem to be near the maximum capacity of Thunder Bay. Though digging through various schedules does seem to be less than improbable the 22 planned. I'll rephrase my words slightly - however my point remains that they've been very consistently shipping cars now for 4 quarters in a row at or near the planned maximum capacity for Thunder Bay. The current issue seems to be that Kingston isn't ramping up fast enough.

And if they load 1/3 of this year's quota in one quarter, it makes it easier to hit the numbers for the other three.
The Q4 target is only 21, and they did achieve 18 in Q3. The leap in schedule for Q4 seems to be that was when Kingston cars were supposed to start arriving - but now if there's only 2 coming in Q4, it seems a bit of a stretch to do 19 in Thunder Bay. I don't see any deliberate attempt to push the schedule later.

Does look tight. To meet schedule with only 2 from Kingston, car 4519 needs to be in service before New Years. Which means 8 more Thunder Bay cars need to arrive before Christmas. There were only 10 deliveries so far in Q3 (which in itself, is what you'd expect from Thunder Bay for 2 months).

Still, we are light-years ahead of this time last year. With only 58 more vehicles coming from Thunder Bay, and 55 delivered during Q4 2017 to Q3 2018, it does seem that they have the ability to produce vehicles fast enough in Thunder Bay.

It's the 24 cars from Kingston that seem iffy, schedule-wise.

Going by this web site which may not be gospel.

https://cptdb.ca/wiki/index.php/Toronto_Transit_Commission_4400-4603

Tally in terms of in service cars;
Q1 2018 4458-4468 or 11 cars
Q2 2018 4469-4482 or 14 cars
Q3 2018 4483-4499 or 17 cars

Total 42.

So they need to get a total of 23 in service in Q4 to hit their yearly quota I think. Q4 they are currently at 12 delivered and 9 in service. Again they will need a burst of output in the home stretch.

Going by this web site which may not be gospel.

https://cptdb.ca/wiki/index.php/Toronto_Transit_Commission_4400-4603

Total 42.

So they need to get a total of 23 in service in Q4 to hit their yearly quota I think. Q4 they are currently at 12 delivered and 9 in service. Again they will need a burst of output in the home stretch.
What happens if BBD misses their yearly quota? hint: nothing

Total 42.
I was using the 43 that TTC reported in the last monthly CEO report.

If that site says 4466 was in service in Q1, it is not correct - it entered service the early hours of July 1, and it appears that TTC counted it as a Q2 car. Not sure quite how they got that 18th Q3 car. The day it entered service, is not necessarily the day TTC accepts the car. edit ... looks like TTC accepted 4500 on October 1, with it entering service on 5 AMish on October 2 ... I'd have counted that as Q4 not Q3 - but hard to quibble about 29 hours ...

1543348889787.png

Last edited:
I was using the 43 that TTC reported in the last monthly CEO report.

If that site says 4466 was in service in Q1, it is not correct - it entered service the early hours of July 1, and it appears that TTC counted it as a Q2 car. Not sure quite how they got that 18th Q3 car. The day it entered service, is not necessarily the day TTC accepts the car. edit ... looks like TTC accepted 4500 on October 1, with it entering service on 5 AMish on October 2 ... I'd have counted that as Q4 not Q3 - but hard to quibble about 29 hours ...

View attachment 165189
4466 arrived Q1 and Q2 and enter service July 1, Q3, but what is day going to do being late, when it was already late.

4485 was the last car to enter service for Q2 on June 27, giving TTC 26 cars for Q2 including 4466. 4487 was the last car delivery for Q2 on June 28, giving TTC 28 cars on property.

4494 was the last car to enter service on Aug 31, giving TTC 35 cars in service for Q3. 4496 was the last car for Q3, giving TTC 37 cars on property for Q3

4502 was the last car for Oct 19 date to be in service for a total of 43 cars and 45 on property. This leaves 19 more cars due Q4 to be delivery or in service how you want to call it.

Today, TTC has 4511 on property for 52 car, still 12 cars short of year end schedule. TTC has 49 car in service today.

2 more cars could be on TTC property by the end of the week, depending on CP. TTC will have one more car in service this week and another next week. No clue as to when 4408 will see testing or have it GPS turn on and only been on TTC property 22 days so far. Wouldn't be the first car to enter service over 30 days after arrival, other than 4466.

With 5 work week left in the year, BBD is going to be hard press to have all the cars on TTC property per schedule, with the last off loading day being Dec 21. It could be the 27, 28 or 31, depending on CP. 2 are supposed to be coming from Kingston that is already a month late and the other 8 from Thunder Bay. Thats 2 cars a week now for Thunder Bay. The last of the 8 cars has to be ship Dec 14 and hope CP can get it to TTC by the 31.

Math says, TTC may have 64 cars on Property for this year schedule, but will be well short of those numbers to be in service.

If car 4523 shows up by year end, Thunder Bay only has to produce 4424-4469 in 2019 for a total of 43 cars.

If Thunder Bay produce the remaining cars like this year, the last one will be ship early Oct, ahead of schedule or Nov time frame. At this time, we have no idea how Kingston is going to preform and they only have 34 to do, including the 2 that are due this year.

4466 arrived Q1 and Q2 and enter service July 1, Q3, but what is day going to do being late, when it was already late.
In the wee hours of July 1st. Presumably TTC acquired it on June 30, given they clearly include it in the Q2 numbers. So it must have been available for service on June 30. It's not as if anyone was likely there at 2 AM signing off on vehicles!

4494 was the last car to enter service on Aug 31, giving TTC 35 cars in service for Q3.
Aug 31? Q3 is July through September.

With 5 work week left in the year, BBD is going to be hard press to have all the cars on TTC property per schedule, with the last off loading day being Dec 21.
Very hard pressed - I doubt they'll make it.

In the wee hours of July 1st. Presumably TTC acquired it on June 30, given they clearly include it in the Q2 numbers. So it must have been available for service on June 30. It's not as if anyone was likely there at 2 AM signing off on vehicles!

Aug 31? Q3 is July through September.

Very hard pressed - I doubt they'll make it.
I will say 4466 was sign off a few days before July 1st like most cars, while the Presto system is being installed thats not part of BBD contract and getting the car ready for service. Most likely sign off after the car has done its final run, which is 1-4 days before it goes into service.

In a rush for the mistake Q3 numbers.

It will be no surprise to me if the schedule isn't met, since I have no faith in BBD in the first place. Their track record shows that for miss dates.

I have a feeling 4508 was an unfinished car to get the car out the door and have better supervision here by TTC own personnel to make sure things are done correctly. It was something Andy was prepared to do last year. He was happy just to have the cars on TTC property.

4511 is doing it first run westbound on Queen

Last edited:
I will say 4466 was sign off a few days before July 1st like most cars, while the Presto system is being installed thats not part of BBD contract and getting the car ready for service. Most likely sign off after the car has done its final run, which is 1-4 days before it goes into service.

FAC happens as the very last thing before they are cleared to enter service. It is highly unlikely that any car would sit for any length of time after receiving it. They usually want to get the car into service right away as the warranty period also begins on that date.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

4510 is ready to enter service Thursday, as it in the yard on track 6 in the middle. 4511 GPS has had the car in the lake all day. Still nothing on 4508.

Back