News   Apr 23, 2024
 1.6K     5 
News   Apr 23, 2024
 536     0 
News   Apr 23, 2024
 1.3K     0 

TTC: Flexity Streetcars Testing & Delivery (Bombardier)

looks like 4505 that was at the gate in Thunder Bay some days ago. I guess Hillcrest will see it Monday.
Yeah, looks like 4505 when I zoom in.

2CCxU9V

King is entire Flexities this tuesday morning.

First time Ive seen on a rush hour weekday

RlzwE9g.png

The TTC has clearly exceeded the target for the 504 branches and having enough Flexities to run along the 504 branches. As per the TTC website, only the 504A ( Dundas West Stn-Distillery ) is supposed to be fully accessible. I guess they get enough for the 504B as well.

4505 was off loaded Wed.

4502 left the service bay late last night as a 501 to Humber Loop and then back to the service bay

Looking at 504 on Wed at both ends, other than extra dwell time at Cherry Loop and the small letter under the 504 in the destination board, the split is doing what its supposed to do.

At times I saw the 504, some huge gaps which is par even when 514 was in service as well bunching. Saw a few CLRV on the 504B in the afternoon since I was out in the east end. The CLRV show 504-Dufferin

Until 504 is all Flexity and have the same number of cars before the split, It will be cattle car service all day based on my 2 trips at different time of crush ridership.

As a note, saw only 2 ALRV on my trip on 501 from Long Branch Loop to Jarvis St trip and the same number out of the 3 I have seen on that route for the last few months.

Last edited:
The TTC has clearly exceeded the target for the 504 branches and having enough Flexities to run along the 504 branches. As per the TTC website, only the 504A ( Dundas West Stn-Distillery ) is supposed to be fully accessible. I guess they get enough for the 504B as well.
They've been doing pretty good for AM peak, but one or two CLRVs have slipped into service later in the day. All 30 cars right now are accessible.

They are certainly very, very close to being 100%. And 504B is for all intents and purposes accessible. I'm not sure accessibility rules require EVERY vehicle on a very frequent route to be accessible - the same way they don't require every subway station entrance to be accessible, as long as there's one at each station.

They are certainly very, very close to being 100%. And 504B is for all intents and purposes accessible. I'm not sure accessibility rules require EVERY vehicle on a very frequent route to be accessible - the same way they don't require every subway station entrance to be accessible, as long as there's one at each station.
I don’t think people mind an odd CLRV here and there to cover a problem on a given day, much as elevators in accessible stations occasionally have to be taken down for maintenance, but if they are rostered for a board period then I think you have to withhold the designation. Ultimately the test shouldn’t be where it complies with a bureaucratic rule so much as to what extent people who need the service are impacted when they are led to expect they can access it but cannot.

4503 is out testing out in Long Branch and currently westbound east of Royal York

4502 still in service bay getting ready for service

So half the order has now entered service, that's something. Too bad half isn't in service due to the flooding, but that was out of Bombardier's hands. :-(
15-20% of the fleet is class as spare to allow for the issue of the flood damage cars, the car waiting parts after derailing on QQ, cars being in accidents, general maintains and so on to to have cars on the road. There is about 5 cars out of services for months at this time.

The 15-20% spare is too high for a new fleet and that was noted at the time of the order. It was stated that spare ratio should be around 10% for about the first 10-15 years of service and then start to increase over time.

Don't forget, more cars have to be ship to Quebec for weld issues and that will lower the number of cars for the spare ratio. More CLRV's will be staying on routes 505 & 506 as well 501 until all the Flexity are all return in 2019/20.

I got some pictures of the overhead work at St. Clair West station. As of now, there is no longer any streetcar wires in the station it has all been replaced by a rigid overhead that looks similar in size to the power rails for the SRT.
30410285617_6cfe09a940_z_d.jpg

30410285597_639a9eef58_z_d.jpg

44436023035_59d3fa4827_z_d.jpg

I also got some video of a streetcar heading eastbound out of the station.

Does it really take them a full month to install a rail on a ceiling. Only in Toronto.
To put it into comparison in that same month from 2008 to 2011 China was able to construct about 35km worth of hsr track from Beijing to Shanghai

Back