News   May 03, 2024
 1.1K     1 
News   May 03, 2024
 692     0 
News   May 03, 2024
 312     0 

TTC: Flexity Streetcars Testing & Delivery (Bombardier)

I would like to see next order be for 45m cars, to be used on 504, 510 and 501.
Leslie isn't even built for 45m cars. I don't expect to see anything longer than 30m on the legacy network till the open a new carhouse/repurpose Hillcrest.

Leslie isn't even built for 45m cars. I don't expect to see anything longer than 30m on the legacy network till the open a new carhouse/repurpose Hillcrest.
Leslie can handle 45m cars, but not the numbers of cars. It has been known for sometime, there isn't enough room with the 3 current yards to handle a fleet of 265 plus and a new one has to be built.

Where it can be built is a unknown item, with a few possibly location still around. If you don't look to the future, you aren't going to handle the increasing ridership like we are doing today and forcing people not to use transit. We need to build more lines as well.

Leslie can handle 45m cars, but not the numbers of cars. It has been known for sometime, there isn't enough room with the 3 current yards to handle a fleet of 265 plus and a new one has to be built.

Where it can be built is a unknown item, with a few possibly location still around. If you don't look to the future, you aren't going to handle the increasing ridership like we are doing today and forcing people not to use transit. We need to build more lines as well.
The yard isn't the biggest issue. I fear the maintenance shop won't be able to efficiently service 45m cars. Less cars can be service at the same time with more dead space as they are designed for 30m. The had concerns about Alstom cars if they were used at the Crosstown facility.

Stuff like let's say the bogie removal service bay might not be able to remove all the bogies at the same time without shifting the car. Stuff like this complicates things and slow down the maintenance procedure. The facility is designed for 5 cars on the same track, with 45m only 3 cars fit with 15m of dead space. This increases the backlog and thus the facility won't able to service the entire 264 cars or the 45m equivalent on time.

I'm not saying Leslie won't be able to handle 45m cars but having them will reduce servicing efficiency and thus it's better to build another facility specially designed to service longer cars. They can be kept at Leslie but rotated to a new facility when it needs maintenance just like Russell and Roncy will send cars to Leslie for major maintenance in the future when necessary.

I think it's better to use 45m cars only on reserved ROW or reduced traffic zones like the 504, 509, 510, 512. Having them in heavy traffic might be more difficult.

I think it's better to use 45m cars only on reserved ROW or reduced traffic zones like the 504, 509, 510, 512. Having them in heavy traffic might be more difficult.

Besides yard and maintenance issues, we need to think about where longer cars might create obstructions across the system. There might be a few surprises.

I disagree with saying they would be useful if used only on certain routes. There are enough diversions, etc that a longer car might have to go anywhere on the system in a pinch. Before we imagine that these cars will fit, just think what one might do at say McCaul loop. Or Earlscourt. Or even Neville.

When I stand at Dundas West and see how a couple of Flexities can plug up the available platform length, I ask myself, how did we all miss that? Arguably, TTC should have been rebuilding loops etc , before the Flexities ever got here.

- Paul

20180908 Dublin Tram Bridge.jpg

Attachments

• 20180908 Dublin Tram Bridge.jpg
    20180908 Dublin Tram Bridge.jpg
    287.1 KB · Views: 628
There may be Flexities on the 501 tomorrow, as usaully, the hoilday schedules are Sunday schedules. Today, 12-14 Flexities appeared on the 501 as usual.

Yep, here we go :
Holiday service is generally operated on Family Day, Good Friday, Victoria Day, Canada Day, Simcoe Day, Labour Day, Thanksgiving Day and Boxing Day.

On these days, all TTC routes will operate on their Sunday service schedules, but will start earlier, at approximately 6 a.m. Any routes that do not normally operate on Sundays, will not operate on the holiday.

Sunday service is generally operated on Christmas Day and Ne

Attachments

• imageO1ULGXLH.jpg
    imageO1ULGXLH.jpg
    21.1 KB · Views: 639
Last edited:
King is entire Flexities this tuesday morning.

First time Ive seen on a rush hour weekday
Not a huge surprise. With the new schedule going into effect this weekend, the number of 504/514 streetcars required drops from 46 (35+11) in AM peak and 35 (27+8) mid-day to 42 and 30.

That means they only need 82 Flexities in service for AM peak, and 65 mid-day.

Not much more than the 80 Flexities they had in service last Friday during AM peak, when they had 39 Flexities and 8 CLRVs on 504/514 (seems they had an extra out on 510 - perhaps a change-off in progress).

82 is a bit tight with the current fleet of 101 cars - but it's not far off.

The big surprise really, is that they didn't get rid of the replacement buses on 506. They currently only need 78 CLRV/ALRVs for AM peak and 70 for mid-day. At the beginning of September they needed about 90 at peak and 80-82 mid-day with about a dozen running on 504.

One would hope there'd be another 12 available at peak. It would only take 4 additional CLRVs to eliminate the 506 buses. Or 12 to convert 511 back to streetcars.

4501 Has just left the yard as an in service 509 (BAEX) After being here 15 Days

4502 is out in the yard waiting for space in the service bay and looks like its done its burn in.

4503 was off loaded Tuesday.

4504 could be off loaded this week with 4505 next week, depending when CP gets them here.

looks like 4505 that was at the gate in Thunder Bay some days ago. I guess Hillcrest will see it Monday.

Wondering what is up on the 2 flood damage cars that they haven't been ship to New York by now. Guess we will see them around April or June now.

19 more cars to be ship for this year.

OH!! 4504 off loaded today.

Back